T

Triangle

Jan 29, 2020
I find myself outside the realm of "common" for a great deal of things... Sometimes it can be extremely bothersome that the world is designed for someone so different than me and that I can't seem to find a single resource for people like me. There are some areas like this which are just nuisances. For instance, I can never buy clothes that fit comfortably because few stores stock XXS items and my (ideal) bra size is not manufactured and essentially doesn't exist. Food is sold with someone who has a 2000 calorie need and it's difficult for me to find reasonable food when my needs are closer to 1000 just to maintain weight. It's a bit of a frivolous complaint, but it's incredibly annoying that most products are tailored to whoever isn't me and it makes it hard just to get the basic items I need for everyday life.

In other areas, it's much more mentally significant: every online mental health resource for any imaginable problem, whether it's depression, low self-esteem, trauma, or stress, will suggest "surrounding yourself with supportive friends and family." I have nobody close to me in real life, now what? The fact that they never even acknowledge people who have nobody there for them only worsens the feeling of alienation that you'd be bound to have if you were reading these pages to begin with. I have never had any friends in real life, not even in childhood, but I can never seem to find posts from people who relate and it makes me feel incredibly dehumanized that a lot of things people deem to be basic human experiences are completely unrelatable to me. Another thing is that they frequently simply leave it at "seek therapy," which is much easier said than done because extensive childhood trauma from abusive therapists is part of the reason I'm having troubles to begin with. What's the plan for people who had this type of experience? And where is it? Why isn't there any acknowledgement for my situation?

Although I naturally do well in a variety of academic subjects, any job requires much work in teams and my strengths lie very strongly in working independently while I function very poorly in team settings. It seems that any job that isn't manual labor is going to want someone with the opposite personality as me, and I don't have the strength to do physical labor jobs. As a result, there isn't any existing job where my personality isn't viewed as something to overcome, but is viewed as a strength. I'd be open to learning to work better with groups but the extent to which jobs demand that you do so makes it not an issue of getting better at a weakness, but of having to morph into another person entirely; I am simply not a people person at all and I will never come close to being the person who prefers team settings. Why isn't there a job where I can use who I am as a strength? Things like this cause me to feel extremely devalued and I just wonder where in the world are people like me supposed to go. Sometimes I think the reason why I never see anybody like me is because they have all already committed suicide and I wonder why I haven't joined them. The thing is, there are multiple reasons why I'd like to participate in life, but there are so many barriers that block me from being able to thrive the same way as others.

These are just a few examples of some more trivial ways of not fitting in and some more significant ones. I've grown so used to being surprised at how differently the "common person" lives that it's become a huge deal to me when someone does share an experience. Does anyone else relate to such problems and does anyone have any advice? I try to convince myself to view being uncommon in a good light: "Gold is not a diseased metal for its rarity, but a valuable one." Perhaps my unique experiences can reveal or produce things that other people cannot. Other times I tell myself to disregard the rest of the world, asking, who cares if most people are a certain way if I maintain the freedom to be different? Another idea is to hopefully tell myself that I may one day discover a niche, a group, some sort of place in the world which is just right for me, even if it's a bit obscure. These mindsets don't always completely alleviate the pain; after all, humans adapted to have a strong awareness of social conformity and belonging. Part of why being different is alarming to me is not because I view it as inherently negative, but because I fear that others will oppress me for it and limit my opportunities to enjoy life. So it isn't entirely that I don't accept myself, but that I am afraid that other people will not. Has anyone else found a helpful strategy to reduce the anxiety of being different and stop worrying for themselves?

Thanks, if you read all of my vent. I don't really enjoy complaining emotionally, especially where others can see, but today is a vulnerable day for me and I find that people here are rather accepting of those who need to release some less-than-positive energy.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae, Sprite_Geist, XYZ and 4 others
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
The world doesn't suit me either, and I have friends who feel the same. You mention practical things. I'm lefthanded, and I've always hated it. When I grew up, all tools, scissors, computers etc was for right- handed people. My writing was terrible, a mess of ink. So I had to do my best, and then, later, use being lefthanded for my advantages. I started playing tennis, later on boxing. Socially, I can fit in every where, but only for a short while. I feel discomfort being in a group of people for several hours. So I back out, with a good excuse. My point is that you can chose your own design in life. How much you participate in "the society" is really up to you. I've met so many strange and "unormal" people, and the're the most interesting ones.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
There's fitting in, and then there's belonging. I agree with something I heard Brene Brown say, that when you belong to yourself, you belong everywhere. When you're trying to fit in, you're no longer yourself.

If people don't accept you and you accept yourself, then they're probably people who don't accept themselves, either. It will never be fulfilling to try to fit in with them. So many people think they can't be themselves, and then they're with other people who can't be themselves, so everyone has these false outer layers that connect with others' false outer layers but they don't truly connect. It ends up being constant subtle and overt manipulations. I find it exhausting.

I'm an extrovert btw, and growing up I didn't fit in. But around my mid-twenties, I embraced my differentness and just went with it, and I also enjoyed my college classes, so I really began to grow into myself. I belong in myself no matter what the situation. Sometimes I fit in, but never totally, but I'm usually respected, and liked by some but not all. I have a strong personality, not everyone likes that.

I have never found a "tribe." I'm 49 now and I finally gave up on that. My best group experience was grad school. I also did have one job where everyone got along, and I had an independent role, but was around others constantly and we all really liked each other, but in over two decades of working, that was an anomaly.

As far as work goes, I wonder what are your talents, skills and training? Just wondering if you can figure out a niche and do contract/freelance remote work.

Edit: as far as finding a therapist, since you were abused by therapists, then I'd recommend seeing one who supervises other therapists. If you look on psychology.com, there are many who have on their profiles that they are supervisors. There may be another word for it as well but I can't think of it. You could contact an association that does therapist accrediting and ask them for a referral to someone like that who also is trauma informed, maybe does EMDR or other outside of the box treatment modalities besides CBT, which I'll go on a quick tangent about and say that it has some helpful tools, but I've never found it to be effective for healing trauma because it's at a lower level in the brain than cognitive.

Last edited:
Zhontafly

Zhontafly

Student
Jul 16, 2020
I and others can relate with the fact of annoyances in life. I find myself getting aggravated by the stupidity, ignorance in this world and lack of control I have over my own life cause of it. Things definitely arnt made for me here either.

Do your best to stop giving a damn would be my advice. Dont want that to come off as cold or something and I know that's easier said than done sometimes, but it will get you through a lot in life. So stop caring too much about the daily garbage of human life. Dedicate your thoughts to being a realist and keep those emotions in check. Life on earth with broken humanity is sickening frustrating madness.
whether it's depression, low self-esteem, trauma, or stress, will suggest "surrounding yourself with supportive friends and family." I have nobody close to me in real life, now what?
well you those of us here that listen and understand.

Take it easy...:hug:

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed