D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
So everyone is in isolation, including me. What to do? I did what I always do in times of stress. Exactly the opposite of what everyone else is doing!

I went for a walk. It's the first time since last year. First time I've felt strong enough to venture out of the house in weeks due to my underlying health conditions. It's bright and sunny here and it was lovely to get outside and see the world.

It's deserted out there. The few people I met were eager to talk, though at a distance obviously. They seemed to crave any social contact. Where normally I'd have been ignored, now I see locals approaching me (at a safe distance obviously). Welcome to my world. Ironic. Finally I leave The Bunker to head out into the world and the world is deserted, with everyone hiding inside as if the virus is actively hunting them down on the wind.

It was odd though, and made me maudlin. This is the area I was raised, though I lived half my life elsewhere, I miss being able to feel like I belong here. Odd to see familiar sites that I now only have restricted access to. For example, I couldn't walk down into the woods as it's down a large hill and I'd have difficulty getting back up it. I also felt the urge to carry on walking, as if I was going home. I used to live further up the hill in the old family home. Long gone now and the current owners are ripping it to bits. I couldn't have stood to see it or the lovely gardens I cultivated. But I wanted to, I wanted to carry on walking and to go home. Maudlin.

I also had a neighbour put a note through the door saying she was available to help anyone self isolating. I gave her a quick call to thank her. The arseholes who bulk buy and try and make a quick buck out of the situation are the ones who will potentially bring us to societal collapse. The people who offer to help their less fortunate neighbours are the people who will make our species worth saving at all.

None of us know what the future brings, but I'll take this afternoon as a win. Panda

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: mediocre, Oyoy, lucid and 12 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Dear Underscore

I, for one, am happy for you. Healthy people take "going for a walk" for granted. I know what it means to be house bound. Screw everything! Put one foot in front of another and take that walk whenever you can.

I am bedridden since Friday... Hope it won't last long this time. As soon as I get my strength back, I will be out that door, faster than you can say Corona.

All the best to you!

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei, Quarky00, mesohappy and 2 others
Una

Una

Write something, even if it’s just a suicide note.
Feb 28, 2020
I like what you wrote … I know that 'going home feeling', even where is no actual home to go to. Except the one in our memory.

It was a win … the afternoon.

May more of them come your way.
Dear Underscore

I, for one, am happy for you. Healthy people take "going for a walk" for granted. I know what it means to be house bound. Screw everything! Put one foot in front of another and take that walk whenever you can.

I am bedridden since Friday... Hope it won't last long this time. As soon as I get my strength back, I will be out that door, faster than you can say Corona.

All the best to you!
Hi Epsilon0 … I have no idea if this is the correct way to do it, but I just saw your post here and wanted to say 'Hi' and hope you do get better soon!
That is all,
Hope that is OK.
Best,
U

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1465 and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I like what you wrote … I know that 'going home feeling', even where is no actual home to go to. Except the one in our memory.

It was a win … the afternoon.

May more of them come your way.

Hi Epsilon0 … I have no idea if this is the correct way to do it, but I just saw your post here and wanted to say 'Hi' and hope you do get better soon!
That is all,
Hope that is OK.
Best,
U

Thank you, Una! I remember your first post, it was really beautiful.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
If, and whilst I can, I intend to try and get out for a walk every day. I want to enjoy the absence of people and those that I do meet are suddenly friendlier. It's a shame the woods are so steep though. I might be able to find a way around that if I'm careful. To think, once not long ago I used to spend the whole day walking and take it for granted.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Epsilon0, Quarky00 and mesohappy
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Congratulations :) This is a first trip in a long time , big thing .

Even 10m walk outside does wonders .

Why do you speak to people ?? That's horrible :blarg:

Reactions: Epsilon0 and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Congratulations :) This is a first trip in a long time , big thing .

Even 10m walk outside does wonders .

Why do you speak to people ?? That's horrible :blarg:
Because potatoes don't speak back :blarg:

• Hugs
Reactions: Quarky00
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Okay, I'm going for another walk before the potatoes' actions cause the government to impose lock down.

• Love
Reactions: Una and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Enjoy it!

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
And back. Lovely out there. Wish I could go further.

Reactions: Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I logged in just to see how it went. Good! Now I can go back to work. :smiling:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
So, I got a little more adventurous today. I walked down the hill into the woodland, then along to the reservoir and back up the hill. Knackered now. Along the way I picked up some wild garlic that grows down there at this time of year, so I'll have that with my evening meal. I might take a bag and collect some more tomorrow, though TBH I can collect enough for each day as and when. Lovely delicately flavoured leaves, from some areas it even tastes a bit fiery for some reason.

On another note...the 2m rule to avoid exposure is BS. I could smell the perfume or aftershave of every person I walked past, despite the distance.

Reactions: mesohappy
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
I actually feel better getting out and walking right now..Streets are more quiet,when I do come across people I try to be as warm as possible,but give them their space.There was an old Mexican woman cleaning her yard yesterday,usually her son does it for her..But I guess he's distancing.I yelled across the street to let her know I could do it, but the language barrier kinda didnt get through,I guess.

I love walking in the early morning and sunset,when there are even less people out..I cant go too far either without feeling exhuasted.I got a dog that looks forward to them walks though.

Took a bus ride the other day..They arent charging fare right now,which is good..But feel guilty exposing myself and others to this "virus" crap.Thought I was getting sick after..Realized its just allergies..I get them every year around this time of seasons.I always think the worst.Easy to do in these times.

Hang in there @Underscore,these are some wild times.Glad you are venturing, though.Enjoy those walks.Feels good once we get over the "just doing it" part.