neonzebra

neonzebra

Sep 11, 2022
I've been doing very little for a year because I was depressed and suicidal.
I pretty much just stopped going to my previous job after my mum died so of course I lost it. It was a brand new job and I couldn't cope with the stress of two huge life changes.

Now the pressure is on me to find work again. Recovery is possible if I find something, I'm sure.
But what do you say to explain the resume gap? If I'm honest I don't think anyone is going to want to hire me... Who wants a suicidally depressed person on their team?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Praestat_Mori and okdroplet
okdroplet

okdroplet

"If You wait long enough, You'll get used to it."
Nov 17, 2023
I've been doing very little for a year because I was depressed and suicidal.
I pretty much just stopped going to my previous job after my mum died so of course I lost it. It was a brand new job and I couldn't cope with the stress of two huge life changes.

Now the pressure is on me to find work again. Recovery is possible if I find something, I'm sure.
But what do you say to explain the resume gap? If I'm honest I don't think anyone is going to want to hire me... Who wants a suicidally depressed person on their team?
Condolences to Your mother, I hope she's in a better place now.

Don't push Yourself too hard with getting a new job, it could make things worse for You. Try to ready yourself mentally.

Does grieving for a lost one not count as acceptable? There was a period of time where "AdviceWithErin" kept popping up on my YouTube shorts, maybe You could get some work-related advice from her regarding that.

But they don't have to know Your suicidal and depressed? You can hide it and just do Your job, get home, and get some rest.
Well, doing the same thing everyday sounds depressing but Your the only one who can make the difference.
Plus I don't think people care if Your depressed if You can get the work done.

I hope You have a great week.

meltdown

meltdown

Throw up in your plate
Dec 15, 2023
Just make up some bullshit or get a friend to vouch for you.

Reactions: chumley123 and okdroplet
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm sorry for your loss. Sorry to pry but is your Dad still around? Maybe you could say that you felt you needed to take the time to support him- that he took the death especially badly. I don't think it's unreasonable to say you took some time off to support a family member and to recover yourself. Better not to mention the suicidal aspect though I imagine.

I'm going to need to look for work soon too. I'm dreading it.

Reactions: okdroplet
chumley123

chumley123

Mar 26, 2020
Get a job that doesn't care (foods service/serving) and then close the gap with your second to last job most companies only check the most recent

• Informative
Reactions: meltdown
meltdown

meltdown

Throw up in your plate
Dec 15, 2023
Get a job that doesn't care (foods service/serving) and then close the gap with your second to last job most companies only check the most recent
this is really smart actually