D

dxstressed

Mar 13, 2020
So I spoke to a mental health team member today and they picked up on that I socially use drugs with my friends. I do not use them to cope with my problems and I do not have a problem. I don't even use drugs that regularly, just whenever I go out to clubs or to an event. Now he has said that he might have to tell people in my uni, and I am furious because surely that breaches confidentiality and it could cost me my degree?!

I am already so suicidal and I feel so fucking judged by this person. I do not want to have to speak to them again. UGHHHHHH!

Dxstressed

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Georgii, Disco Biscuit, foxdie and 3 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Damn him/her! Get a lawyer and sue them or at least threaten him/her.
Also, there is the confidentiality stuff as you mentioned, I think he shouldn't be able to share that info with anyone.

Reactions: Wayfaerer, GoneGoneGone, Jumper Geo and 2 others
D

dxstressed

Mar 13, 2020
Damn him/her! Get a lawyer and sue them or at least threaten him/her.
Also, there is the confidentiality stuff as you mentioned, I think he shouldn't be able to share that info with anyone.
It's made me feel so insecure and I just don't trust him anymore, just going to cut off all contact and say it's a breach of my confidentiality.

• Hugs
Reactions: foxdie, Jumper Geo and WornOutLife
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
If I were in your situation I would e-mail the Mental Health team and say sorry you over exaggerated you don't take any drugs, you were attention seeking as family and friends often ignore you and friends speak over you during mid sentence and don't let you finish and you feel the need to shock so people take you seriously but I have realized on this occasion it may hurt my studies and I hope you will not judge me for telling the truth.

Well even if he reports you after this it will be on file and you have a case if your called in for a disciplinary hearing, you could say you explained that you were attention seeking rather than a social drug user.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Geo

Reactions: Metalhead and dxstressed
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
I'm not sure where you live or what kind mental health workers you spoke with so take this with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they are bound by patient confidentiality and cannot expose an adult's medical info to anyone without their consent, barring a warrant maybe. I think they could be fired or even criminally charged for this, depending on where you live of course. But that is a really shitty thing for a health care worker to do to someone seeking help. Sending hugs :hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: dxstressed
It'sNotLookingGood

It'sNotLookingGood

You Know I Couldn't Last
Mar 1, 2020
So I spoke to a mental health team member today and they picked up on that I socially use drugs with my friends. I do not use them to cope with my problems and I do not have a problem. I don't even use drugs that regularly, just whenever I go out to clubs or to an event. Now he has said that he might have to tell people in my uni, and I am furious because surely that breaches confidentiality and it could cost me my degree?!

I am already so suicidal and I feel so fucking judged by this person. I do not want to have to speak to them again. UGHHHHHH!

Dxstressed
Neeever let slip that you use drugs. I once told my doctor I smoke weed, and every single time I went back to him he would mention it - I'm pretty certain it's a big part of the reason he would never prescribe me what I asked for. I feel he was more dismissive of my problems knowing I smoke too.

Drugs have been great for me. I have pretty bad anxiety and am pretty high inhibition, and they let me open up and not care - I'm specifically thinking about when meeting new people. And after you've met some one once, and made a connection, maybe made some memories, things get much easier thenceforth. It's cheating basically, but I'd rather cheat and have what some might dismiss as a "fake"/"artificial" experience, than none at all.

Do you relate?

Reactions: foxdie
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
How is this even legal? I'm not sure what country you are in but in the UK, Everything you tell the mental health team Is confidential and they will not legally be allowed to inform the university of your health/life matters.

Reactions: Metalhead, dxstressed and foxdie
BridgeJumper

BridgeJumper

The Arsonist
Apr 7, 2019
Yet another reason to avoid getting help.

Reactions: Wayfaerer and dxstressed
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
If it's week it should've been legalised ages all over the world. It's ridiculous that people get into trouble cause of pot.

D

dxstressed

Mar 13, 2020
How is this even legal? I'm not sure what country you are in but in the UK, Everything you tell the mental health team Is confidential and they will not legally be allowed to inform the university of your health/life matters.
Yeah I am in the UK, he's gone to his 'manager' to ask about the process but I'm convinced he shouldn't be allowed to tell my course, and if he does, guess I'll just have to take action against him.

Reactions: Emily_Numb
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
Yeah I am in the UK, he's gone to his 'manager' to ask about the process but I'm convinced he shouldn't be allowed to tell my course, and if he does, guess I'll just have to take action against him.
So this is UK NHS Mental Health team who you have told you partake in 'recreational drugs' and they are going to contact your university to tell them about your drug taking?
Um, if that's the case you need to speak with that persons manager as it's absolutely NOT their place to say a damned thing.
To be honest, most NHS health workers and doctors aren't that fazed by recreational drug taking. Most young people in Universities partake in substances ranging from alcohol, marijuana, ketamine, MDMA, Cocaine, acid, psilocybin being the most popular in the UK. Anything outside of those like Crack, Meth, Heroin, prescription painkillers, Spice then I'm surprised you are able to do any of those recreationally.
You need to find out the name of your caseworkers boss and report them and ask for a new point of contact as this is honestly some of the most unprofessional shit I've ever heard from a MH team.
Lastly, it's highly unlikely you will be asked to leave your university for drug taking. As long as you aren't Hugh during lectures, you're an adult and what you chose to do in your private time isn't there business. University isn't like school and not subject to the same sort of rules.

Reactions: dxstressed
Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
They arent allowed to tell anyone, its illegal. The only time they're allowed to tell anyone is if theres an immediate danger to someone then they'd contact the police who'd take it from there, but this doesn't seem like thats the case, so he'd be breaking doctor/patient confidentiality. Id take it up with that persons manager and bring up how its supposed to be confidential

Reactions: dxstressed, It'sNotLookingGood and Emily_Numb
D

dxstressed

Mar 13, 2020
They arent allowed to tell anyone, its illegal. The only time they're allowed to tell anyone is if theres an immediate danger to someone then they'd contact the police who'd take it from there, but this doesn't seem like thats the case, so he'd be breaking doctor/patient confidentiality. Id take it up with that persons manager and bring up how its supposed to be confidential
Thank you, yes I will :)
So this is UK NHS Mental Health team who you have told you partake in 'recreational drugs' and they are going to contact your university to tell them about your drug taking?
Um, if that's the case you need to speak with that persons manager as it's absolutely NOT their place to say a damned thing.
To be honest, most NHS health workers and doctors aren't that fazed by recreational drug taking. Most young people in Universities partake in substances ranging from alcohol, marijuana, ketamine, MDMA, Cocaine, acid, psilocybin being the most popular in the UK. Anything outside of those like Crack, Meth, Heroin, prescription painkillers, Spice then I'm surprised you are able to do any of those recreationally.
You need to find out the name of your caseworkers boss and report them and ask for a new point of contact as this is honestly some of the most unprofessional shit I've ever heard from a MH team.
Lastly, it's highly unlikely you will be asked to leave your university for drug taking. As long as you aren't Hugh during lectures, you're an adult and what you chose to do in your private time isn't there business. University isn't like school and not subject to the same sort of rules.
Yeah, going to look into who the manager is etc. today - Thank you so much, calmed my nerves! :)

Reactions: Emily_Numb
AJ95

AJ95

24/7 sylvia plath
Sep 3, 2020
Wow that's completely insane, I'd definitely try to talk to someone higher up than they are.

Pretty sure that's a huge breach of patient-doctor confidentiality.

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Cardinal rule when dealing with mental health teams. Say nothing.