• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Mr blobby

Mr blobby

Nov 29, 2020
Anyone know if its possible to tie 2 separate knots on an anchor to spread the weight load? I've heard it being done with two separate ligatures but wondering if it's possible with one. I am thinking of doing it this way so that theres less chance of the anchor breaking.

B

Bipolarer

Dec 21, 2020
What type of anchor do you have? If you take only one rope, each end tied at the anchor, how about tieing a noose?

L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
I have the same setup, I'm using two wedge bolts. (I think they're called) And have the rope loop through the rings attached to the wedge bolts. The way my rope hangs it basically looks like a triangle. I just figured my weight would be distributed between the bolts that way. It's just that the force on the bolts won't be vertical. I'm not an expert though. My bolts are quite strong though I haven't been able to make exact calculations. Everywhere I looked basically said it should be possible to put several hundreds of kilos of weight on that. They're able to hold my weight when I tested it. They use these kinds of bolts to put up heavy iron gates. Just make sure the wall you're attaching the bolts to is capable of handling the weight. I'm not that heavy (about 80kgs) but better be safe than sorry.

Mr blobby

Mr blobby

Nov 29, 2020
What type of anchor do you have? If you take only one rope, each end tied at the anchor, how about tieing a noose?
Pull up bar . I've already tied hangman's noose at one end

I have the same setup, I'm using two wedge bolts. (I think they're called) And have the rope loop through the rings attached to the wedge bolts. The way my rope hangs it basically looks like a triangle. I just figured my weight would be distributed between the bolts that way. It's just that the force on the bolts won't be vertical. I'm not an expert though. My bolts are quite strong though I haven't been able to make exact calculations. Everywhere I looked basically said it should be possible to put several hundreds of kilos of weight on that. They're able to hold my weight when I tested it. They use these kinds of bolts to put up heavy iron gates. Just make sure the wall you're attaching the bolts to is capable of handling the weight. I'm not that heavy (about 80kgs) but better be safe than sorry.

Sorry I can't picture it. It sounds complicated. Do you have a picture. I'm around 70kg. I'm using a pull-up bar but I've put it up in my corridor because my doorway is too short.

As a result the bar is extended quite long maybe like 1.3metre. so the sides bend alot when I hang the rope in the centre
This is what I'm working with
This is what I'm working with

Attachments

• 3917.jpg
    3917.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
Hi I've made a drawing to explain what I have. CC4BCA46 AFE7 423A A5C1 7E421EEA3641
So there's two wedge bolts anchored into the wall. I've got two eye nuts (yeah they're really called that) screwed onto the bolts. The rope loops through the eye nuts and a knot makes this a triangle shape with the noose tied beneath that.

this is a wedge bolt:
39039938 5EF7 4633 BD36 A7ED86AFC418

and this is an eye nut:
34A459DE D8B8 4E47 9A77 C6AA91CC5955
This is some heavy duty equipment, I even had to buy a bigger drill. You can watch youtube videos on how to install wedge bolts. They can take a lot of weight.

I personally would not feel very secure with your setup. Do you have the ability to drill holes into your wall? Sorry you're contemplating this method. But it's really dangerous and you can end up with brain damage if you survive. I'd rather people are well prepared if they decide to try hanging (partial or full).

Have you tried tying a big knot at the end of your rope and just hang on the rope a bit, I mean: put your feet on the knot and hold onto the rope. See if it holds you and if it's sturdy enough to take some extra force?

Whatever you decide; peace and good luck.

Reactions: voyager
Mr blobby

Mr blobby

Nov 29, 2020
Hi I've made a drawing to explain what I have. View attachment 61373
So there's two wedge bolts anchored into the wall. I've got two eye nuts (yeah they're really called that) screwed onto the bolts. The rope loops through the eye nuts and a knot makes this a triangle shape with the noose tied beneath that.

this is a wedge bolt:
View attachment 61374

and this is an eye nut:
View attachment 61375
This is some heavy duty equipment, I even had to buy a bigger drill. You can watch youtube videos on how to install wedge bolts. They can take a lot of weight.

I personally would not feel very secure with your setup. Do you have the ability to drill holes into your wall? Sorry you're contemplating this method. But it's really dangerous and you can end up with brain damage if you survive. I'd rather people are well prepared if they decide to try hanging (partial or full).

Have you tried tying a big knot at the end of your rope and just hang on the rope a bit, I mean: put your feet on the knot and hold onto the rope. See if it holds you and if it's sturdy enough to take some extra force?

Whatever you decide; peace and good luck.
Thanks for this I appreciate it. Are you using 2 ropes? If you passed the rope through the two rings wouldn't you be left with two ends of the rope for the noose? How did you tie the noose then?

Unfortunately i cannot make any holes in the wall. Otherwise I'd secure the pullup bar with screws. I've tried doing pullups quite aggressively and it seems to hold. However having the full weight of my body in the centre with the rope is risky which is why I'm trying to find a way to spread the load.
I'm scouring youtube to see if there's a way to make 3 knots on the bar (in the pic you can see I've tried). To somehow tie it down on the left side bring the rope over to the right and tie it down. Then bring it to the centre and tie one down there.

Last edited:
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
I found this website which describes some basics when it comes to weight distribution between anchorpoints. It could give you some pointers about how to set up your rope.

8CA48AF9 F927 464C BA0C 3752AC6831BE
They say 45 degrees is the ideal angle to aim for.

If set up properly this will distribute your weight more evenly across the bar.

You are right about my set-up; I had two rope-ends. I tied one end to the rope to make a triangle. The other end I used to make the noose.

Hugs and stay safe.

Mr blobby

Mr blobby

Nov 29, 2020
Thanks
I found this website which describes some basics when it comes to weight distribution between anchorpoints. It could give you some pointers about how to set up your rope.

View attachment 61493
They say 45 degrees is the ideal angle to aim for.

If set up properly this will distribute your weight more evenly across the bar.

You are right about my set-up; I had two rope-ends. I tied one end to the rope to make a triangle. The other end I used to make the noose.

Hugs and stay safe.
Thanks i really appreciate this. I don't even know how i can achieve a triangle shaped setup because of the way I've set mine up. And i don't have eye nuts either, only a pullup bar. So for now it's just a rope dangling from the centre.

I'm going to brainstorm a few ideas and see if I can get a around this. I'm thinking to maybe cut the rope in half and tie a noose with two ends of rope somehow.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
After doing some research I actually think my setup is wrong. And the way I've looped the rope will put a lot of pressure on the anchor points.

i think this knot would be better if you're using multiple anchor points;

80BD163A 4EF0 4562 86D4 B6EC7CB34CF2
It's called the alpine butterfly. This way the rope is actually distributing the weight between the anchorpoints. In my original setup the anchorpoints are also pulling towards each other. If that makes sense...

I found this website detailing the alpine butterfly; https://www.ropelab.com.au/the-awesome-alpine-butterfly/

Mr blobby

Mr blobby

Nov 29, 2020
After doing some research I actually think my setup is wrong. And the way I've looped the rope will put a lot of pressure on the anchor points.

i think this knot would be better if you're using multiple anchor points;

View attachment 61885
It's called the alpine butterfly. This way the rope is actually distributing the weight between the anchorpoints. In my original setup the anchorpoints are also pulling towards each other. If that makes sense...

I found this website detailing the alpine butterfly; https://www.ropelab.com.au/the-awesome-alpine-butterfly/
Awesome. Thank you man. Will this work if i wrap it around the pullup bar instead of the hoops.??

The problem with your 1st setup was that you tied one side of the rope to the other which would have messed with the load i think.

I'm still trying to find a way to spread the load. I will try this butterfly knot. But I'm also just thinking to coil the rope around the bar and hope for the best

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking
V

verloren

sry for my bad english
Feb 18, 2021
Awesome. Thank you man. Will this work if i wrap it around the pullup bar instead of the hoops.??

The problem with your 1st setup was that you tied one side of the rope to the other which would have messed with the load i think.

I'm still trying to find a way to spread the load. I will try this butterfly knot. But I'm also just thinking to coil the rope around the bar and hope for the best
W
Thanks for this I appreciate it. Are you using 2 ropes? If you passed the rope through the two rings wouldn't you be left with two ends of the rope for the noose? How did you tie the noose then?

Unfortunately i cannot make any holes in the wall. Otherwise I'd secure the pullup bar with screws. I've tried doing pullups quite aggressively and it seems to hold. However having the full weight of my body in the centre with the rope is risky which is why I'm trying to find a way to spread the load.
I'm scouring youtube to see if there's a way to make 3 knots on the bar (in the pic you can see I've tried). To somehow tie it down on the left side bring the rope over to the right and tie it down. Then bring it to the centre and tie one down there.
I also try to ctb using a pull up bar in my corridor.
why don't you take 2 pull up bars to spread the weight and 2 ropes or 2 ropes and 1 bar as you said in your first post?

where did you buy thevpull up bar which can be expanded to 1.3 m?
can you give me tips so that I do not have to face problems that you have already solved

Last edited: