• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

S

Solotheme

Mar 18, 2024
When I was in highschool, I had this idea for a book (at the time I wanted to be a writer) where the main character relinquishes control and lets their body carry on with life as some sort of philosophical zombie (i.e. functioning in the world, but without any kind of sentience or self-hood). I guess I was more hopeful/optimistic at the time because my idea was that the main character would still "exist" somewhere in the unconscious mind, and would witness increasingly harmful things that their body does (become some kind of oil baron, abuse their employees, get married, have children and be an absent but bullheaded partner/parent); then towards the end, the main character's body would end up in a plane crash with their partner, where their partner dies, and the main character (well, their buried conscious mind) would claw their way back to the surface and take control again, and try but fail to save their partner (only to be alone, in the wilderness).

I don't really want to die. If I could, I think I would prefer to step back and watch as a mere passenger. Even if I would still experience everything, suffering isn't so bad if it's not my fault, and as long as I'm not causing ever more harm/inconvenience to others by continuing to exist. If only the absense of free-will in this world could be experienced directly and we could all sit back and watch. But it seems that experience must participate in a bidirectional interaction with action; if you don't experience the right set of motivations, your body doesn't do its work; if your body doesn't do its work, doesn't strive for survival, you end up without experience. I wish this wasn't the case. So maybe there's no point in imagining what it would be like. But my main issue is that I don't feel like my motivations and responses to the world are sufficient to make me keep going without being a burden. I wish I could just step outside myself and tell my body to go live a normal life, to step up and do its damn work, but it just doesn't; not without directly experiencing the right motivations first.

I get the sense that part of the confusion surrounding free will, responsibility, etc. is due to the framing of personhood and indivduality in the western world. Clearly if a motivation doesn't exist, there's something real in the world that is missing; something that differs in this unmotivated person's mind compared to the minds of their functional peers. But the western world asserts that the only way to approach or understand this is to frame the self as an agent; to separate the individual from the universe and command the battle for life to get underway, under the grace of god or whatever. I think it's interesting that Christianity asserts that god offers humans free will, but sets up a divine order that they must participate in. The trinity - the rigid, untouchable, indescribable god, all being, all knowing, all seeing; the powerless, doomed human manifestation; the invisible impersonal holy ghost that bridges the gap - the universe, seperated into three impossible things, torn apart and trapped together. A body, a mind, and the power of shame infusing society to connect the two. I feel like Daoism offers something approaching a more sensible perspective; there is some unknowable thing, the Dao; it is us, and we are it, but it is always and entirely unknowable; and yet it contains all that is known - all knowledge and action. I don't know, I think I'm rambling now.

I'm wondering what other people think. If you could let go, and just watch your life unfold, would you be willing to let it go on? Could you endure the experience of suffering if you knew that your body (from which the experience arises) would keep going and not harm others regardless of the consious experience it passes on to your mind (i.e. if there was a one-directional flow from the determined physical world to your consious experience of it; like watching a movie)? If your experience of suffering didn't make your body curl up into a lifeless ball, could you accept that experience?

E

escape_from_hell

Student
Feb 22, 2024
I actually actively try and do what you are speaking of, dissociate and just observe. Been like that my whole life I think. Then real decisions come to my doorstep and it is an anxiety nightmare awakening.
I also hear the same stuff in yoga class and a lot of spiritual manbun bro talk: "you are just the observer." I have serious doubts about free will so maybe it is possible to some extent. The caveat being that the freedom from anxiety and so forth is not actually your will or choice anyway. We are being taken on a rollercoaster ride through hell.
The worst part is being a coward like me and trying to run away and bury my head in the sand. But reality does not go away. My greatest fear is not even death will let me hide and escape.

Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
I actually actively try and do what you are speaking of, dissociate and just observe. Been like that my whole life I think. Then real decisions come to my doorstep and it is an anxiety nightmare awakening.
I also hear the same stuff in yoga class and a lot of spiritual manbun bro talk: "you are just the observer." I have serious doubts about free will so maybe it is possible to some extent. The caveat being that the freedom from anxiety and so forth is not actually your will or choice anyway. We are being taken on a rollercoaster ride through hell.
The worst part is being a coward like me and trying to run away and bury my head in the sand. But reality does not go away. My greatest fear is not even death will let me hide and escape.
That's also what I've been thinking about. If death is not the way out, what is? Something like meditation? Or does humanity have to resist giving birth together to eliminate the carriers of suffering eventually?

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
I don't really want to die. If I could, I think I would prefer to step back and watch as a mere passenger.

I feel like Daoism offers something approaching a more sensible perspective; there is some unknowable thing, the Dao; it is us, and we are it, but it is always and entirely unknowable; and yet it contains all that is known - all knowledge and action.
This thread is probably more suited for off-topic, but Daoism(aka Taoism) is about spiritual awakening, being lucid within the dream.

Toaists talk about accessing this state by releasing the tiller, unconditional surrender.
You say you don't want to die, well spiritually awakening involves a death/rebirth process. Ego dies, oneness/nothingness is rebirthed.

Not quite what you're referring to, but it would be the end of the suffering you refer to.

Would you let go, if it meant giving up everything that makes you who you currently are?

M

minusgrader

Mar 18, 2024
When I was in highschool, I had this idea for a book (at the time I wanted to be a writer) where the main character relinquishes control and lets their body carry on with life as some sort of philosophical zombie (i.e. functioning in the world, but without any kind of sentience or self-hood). I guess I was more hopeful/optimistic at the time because my idea was that the main character would still "exist" somewhere in the unconscious mind, and would witness increasingly harmful things that their body does (become some kind of oil baron, abuse their employees, get married, have children and be an absent but bullheaded partner/parent); then towards the end, the main character's body would end up in a plane crash with their partner, where their partner dies, and the main character (well, their buried conscious mind) would claw their way back to the surface and take control again, and try but fail to save their partner (only to be alone, in the wilderness).

I don't really want to die. If I could, I think I would prefer to step back and watch as a mere passenger. Even if I would still experience everything, suffering isn't so bad if it's not my fault, and as long as I'm not causing ever more harm/inconvenience to others by continuing to exist. If only the absense of free-will in this world could be experienced directly and we could all sit back and watch. But it seems that experience must participate in a bidirectional interaction with action; if you don't experience the right set of motivations, your body doesn't do its work; if your body doesn't do its work, doesn't strive for survival, you end up without experience. I wish this wasn't the case. So maybe there's no point in imagining what it would be like. But my main issue is that I don't feel like my motivations and responses to the world are sufficient to make me keep going without being a burden. I wish I could just step outside myself and tell my body to go live a normal life, to step up and do its damn work, but it just doesn't; not without directly experiencing the right motivations first.

I get the sense that part of the confusion surrounding free will, responsibility, etc. is due to the framing of personhood and indivduality in the western world. Clearly if a motivation doesn't exist, there's something real in the world that is missing; something that differs in this unmotivated person's mind compared to the minds of their functional peers. But the western world asserts that the only way to approach or understand this is to frame the self as an agent; to separate the individual from the universe and command the battle for life to get underway, under the grace of god or whatever. I think it's interesting that Christianity asserts that god offers humans free will, but sets up a divine order that they must participate in. The trinity - the rigid, untouchable, indescribable god, all being, all knowing, all seeing; the powerless, doomed human manifestation; the invisible impersonal holy ghost that bridges the gap - the universe, seperated into three impossible things, torn apart and trapped together. A body, a mind, and the power of shame infusing society to connect the two. I feel like Daoism offers something approaching a more sensible perspective; there is some unknowable thing, the Dao; it is us, and we are it, but it is always and entirely unknowable; and yet it contains all that is known - all knowledge and action. I don't know, I think I'm rambling now.

I'm wondering what other people think. If you could let go, and just watch your life unfold, would you be willing to let it go on? Could you endure the experience of suffering if you knew that your body (from which the experience arises) would keep going and not harm others regardless of the consious experience it passes on to your mind (i.e. if there was a one-directional flow from the determined physical world to your consious experience of it; like watching a movie)? If your experience of suffering didn't make your body curl up into a lifeless ball, could you accept that experience?
I would read that story if you ever wrote it.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
I don't trust myself to make good decisions lol. I've always felt like an observer rather than a participant in life though, and I think that I'm scared to actually live life. I hide from the outside world because I guess I don't want to interact or engage with it. I prefer the comfort of my own home, where I can be safe in isolation.

• Yay!
Reactions: divinemistress36
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
I'd be interested in doing that. Not sure if it would change my suicidal ideation, but at the very least it might help me see things more objectively and in a less emotionally-charged light.

U

uzuf86

Too many mistakes and regrets
Jan 1, 2024
If I looked at my life from my distance I would only see nothing but countless mistakes that happened over decades of my living.
I only wish someone told me how to live life and how to fix myself but if only there is any such thing as fate, it led me in the worst possible direction.
I just have a strong feeling that this life of me was never supposed to exist in the first place.