GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
This was an excellent article about hotel suicides and how the hotels are affected, from cleanups to employees, including employee training, which was brought up in a previous thread way before I became a member (I wish it was linked in the Resource Compilation, I haven't been able to find it; a hotel resource thread including that one as well as this article would be a good idea).

This article also talked about suicide in earlier times in a variety of locations. The opening paragraph about the idea for a suicide hotel in the early 1900s was great.

A good takeaway I got from this is to do it in a large chain hotel rather than a smaller one. They're more prepared for the expense and logistics. Another good takeaway is that hotels are aware that locals are more likely to suicide and are on the lookout for nervous behaviors, so I would recommend staying calm, and if you're from the US and have a passport, to use that instead of a driver's license for ID, have a backstory about where you traveled from, and have luggage. I recall on that other thread on SS by a former hotel worker, s/he said that if you don't want to be interrupted to say you're escaping domestic violence, and they are trained for that, so it could be a cover and a diversion for nervousness, being upset, being local, and not having a lot of luggage.

Does anyone remember that thread I'm talking about? There have been times I've wanted to refer people to it and I'd like to bookmark it.

Reactions: nerve, Bct, Ulisses and 4 others
L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
@GoodPersonEffed this one?

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/how-to-check-into-hotel-undetected.19654/

• Hugs
Reactions: nerve, Ulisses and Skathon
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
@GoodPersonEffed this one?

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/how-to-check-into-hotel-undetected.19654/

Yes! Thank you! It was this comment in particular:

This is coming from someone who worked in the hotel industry for well over a decade for almost ten different hotels across multiple states in the US. Everything is coming from my own personal experience working the front desk.

Tell the front desk specifically this: "I would like to be invisible and anonymous. If anyone calls or asks about me, I am not here. I do not want any calls transferred to my room, and please put a Do Not Disturb (DND) on my phone.".

I would bet good money that they will simply say ''Okay'', and make it happen, but if for some reason they ask why you want this, tell them that you are hiding to get away from your abusive ex, and that you would be in serious danger if they found out where you were. That is a very real situation that front desk workers have encountered too often, myself included. That would cause them to treat your instructions very seriously, both out of compassion, and also out of concern for the hotel's own liability by violating customer privacy, far more so when violating that privacy puts the customer in danger.

With this, the front desk will tell anyone that asks about you (except for the police) that they don't have your name on the guest list, and that you are not staying there. The police don't have any kind of network access to the hotel's guest list, so if they did have any reason to look for you in a hurry, and they have reason to believe that you are at a hotel, they would have to call every hotel in town individually. Technically they need a warrant for this, but most hotels simply comply to get a criminal out off their property.

The DND on your phone means that the hotel's switchboard phone system will automatically block any incoming calls to your room and give a busy tone, except for those coming directly from the front desk staff themselves.

And I wouldn't worry about using a card to check in unless someone that personally knows you has ready access to your card's transaction history, AND they have some reason to check it, AND that seeing a hotel deposit pre-authorization would mean there is some kind of emergency.

Hotels do not give out financial information to anyone including the police. If the police had a warrant, which they wouldn't unless you are a wanted criminal, they would contact your card provider directly.

Tell the front desk that you don't want housekeeping because you normally sleep during the day, and that you will bring your dirty towels and sheets to the desk and trade them for fresh ones when you are awake. That is a very common thing that hotel staff are used to. Regardless of whether or not you actually intend to trade them out, doing this will prevent your room from ever being put on housekeeping's cleaning list in the first place.

Create a timed email to be sent to the police a few hours before check out informing of your CTB, and they will take it from there. The hotel will not have to be involved.

Yes, you can check in business as usual, and it best that you do. Hotel staff aren't detectives or mind readers, and they don't call the cops or give the customer problems at check in unless the customer is being an insufferable jackass (again, speaking from personal experience). Their feet hurt, they make ten bucks an hour, no lunch breaks, and they just want their shift to be over so they can take off that stupid name tag (again, speaking from personal experience).

Sorry that this became a small novel, it's just something I know a lot about from the hotel side of things, and I saw a chance to make things easier for both you and the hotel.

If you have any more questions about this kind of stuff, by all means ask away. :)

Oh, and before you CTB, leave the hotel a good review. They've earned it.

EDIT: Lol thanks for the likes, I think I just became the travel agent....OF DEATH! Helping to shuffle off this mortal coil with a free continental breakfast (some restrictions apply). Don't eat the scrambled eggs.

There was another post, I think an OP, that talked about how hotel employees are trained for suicides. Do you recall that one?

Reactions: archipelago, autumnal and Wisdom3_1-9
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've been a hotel manager for years now. I'm working for a major chain right now and I can tell you that most hotels don't properly train their staff. Generally hotels won't rent to locals either.

There is absolutely no guarantee that you won't be interrupted. Hotel staff will check on you or potentially call the police under certain circumstances.

H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
This was an excellent article about hotel suicides and how the hotels are affected, from cleanups to employees, including employee training, which was brought up in a previous thread way before I became a member (I wish it was linked in the Resource Compilation, I haven't been able to find it; a hotel resource thread including that one as well as this article would be a good idea).

This article also talked about suicide in earlier times in a variety of locations. The opening paragraph about the idea for a suicide hotel in the early 1900s was great.

A good takeaway I got from this is to do it in a large chain hotel rather than a smaller one. They're more prepared for the expense and logistics. Another good takeaway is that hotels are aware that locals are more likely to suicide and are on the lookout for nervous behaviors, so I would recommend staying calm, and if you're from the US and have a passport, to use that instead of a driver's license for ID, have a backstory about where you traveled from, and have luggage. I recall on that other thread on SS by a former hotel worker, s/he said that if you don't want to be interrupted to say you're escaping domestic violence, and they are trained for that, so it could be a cover and a diversion for nervousness, being upset, being local, and not having a lot of luggage.

Does anyone remember that thread I'm talking about? There have been times I've wanted to refer people to it and I'd like to bookmark it.

Omg I found my calling.

I'm gonna start a suicide hotel where people can order their Sn via room service!!

Everyone gets on the do not disturb list by default.

Oh and instead of maps and post cards on display, "sample suicide notes" and a guide on how to plan your funeral.

Oh and 15% discount for all ss members, use promo code ss.

• Love
Reactions: enuff, elfgyoza, GoneGoneGone and 12 others
departing

departing

Enlightened
Jul 5, 2019
Generally hotels won't rent to locals either.

I told a local hotel that I was having construction done on my home. They let me check in without a problem. That was a suicide attempt that didn't go right.

Reactions: Dreamless Sleep and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I told a local hotel that I was having construction done on my home. They let me check in without a problem. That was a suicide attempt that didn't go right.

I've taken mini-vacations at local hotels and never once been denied. I've only ever run into hostels that don't allow locals, but that can be worked around if one uses a passport and their place of birth is a different state.

M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
I've been a hotel manager for years now. I'm working for a major chain right now and I can tell you that most hotels don't properly train their staff. Generally hotels won't rent to locals either.
I haven't seen that to be the case. Most hotels simply don't care; as long as you seem like a reasonable person, they'll rent to you. Maybe you're cheating on your spouse. Maybe your home is being fumigated for pests. Maybe your roof collapsed. If it's still a big concern to you, go to a hotel at least 50 miles away and bring a big backpack stuffed with random crap.

In a nutshell, hotels want the revenue, and money is the same no matter who it comes from. Especially now, in the midst of a Corona scamdemic pandemic, when nobody is traveling or renting rooms.

Reactions: Skathon
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I haven't seen that to be the case. Most hotels simply don't care; as long as you seem like a reasonable person, they'll rent to you. Maybe you're cheating on your spouse. Maybe your home is being fumigated for pests. Maybe your roof collapsed. If it's still a big concern to you, go to a hotel at least 50 miles away and bring a big backpack stuffed with random crap.

In a nutshell, hotels want the revenue, and money is the same no matter who it comes from. Especially now, in the midst of a Corona scamdemic pandemic, when nobody is traveling or renting rooms.
Some properties may make exceptions for emergencies some won't. Corona has definitely made some changes for some properties. Revenue isn't everything and atleast in my state they shy away from locals because locals will rent a room just to party in it and trash it.

There will always be ways around this if you're determined of course. Calling around to different properties, using a made up emergency, or even Hiltons E Check In are all viable.

AnniesHideaway

AnniesHideaway

Jul 1, 2020
Omg I found my calling.

I'm gonna start a suicide hotel where people can order their Sn via room service!!

Everyone gets on the do not disturb list by default.

Oh and instead of maps and post cards on display, "sample suicide notes" and a guide on how to plan your funeral.

Oh and 15% discount for all ss members, use promo code ss.
Repeat business is going to be difficult.

Reactions: Mustkeyknow, Dreamless Sleep, ryla2090 and 4 others
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Repeat business is going to be difficult.

The business model doesn't count on repeat business. I've already factored that into the business plan. More like word of mouth and advertising on suicide forums (omg pro lifers are gonna picket my "suicide hotel".

Does "suicide motel" sound better?

For the jumpers, we'll have a specific spot on the roof with an x marking the target below.

For the drowners, we'll have a swimming pool.

For the charcoal method, we'll have weekly "indoor bbq's".

For the head choppers, a guillotine room.

For the shotgun enthusiasts, a shooting range.

For those who want to make it look accidental, a gym with weights and a wet floor.

Have I missed anything?

Oh, yeah the train people... gotta work in that one....

• Love
Reactions: Captive of Mind, Final Escape, death becomes her and 6 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Have I missed anything?

N for the discerning client, with top shelf chasers.

Exit bags with choice of gas. For the crafters, make your own exit bag classes.

And of course a place to...hang out.

• Love
Reactions: HadEnough1974, Skathon, FriendofDeath and 1 other person
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018

There is absolutely no guarantee that you won't be interrupted. Hotel staff will check on you or potentially call the police under certain circumstances.
Depends on the motel it seems. Many I've stayed in don't check much. Especially if u are a weekly stay.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Brick In The Wall
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020

There's gotta be something you can do with VR goggles and some kind of "pit and the pendulum" rig? Maybe do it up old school like in the black & white movies where they are tied to the tracks by a moustachioed guy with a top hat, all set to silent movie piano music.

Reactions: HadEnough1974
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Depends on the motel it seems. Many I've stayed in don't check much. Especially if u are a weekly stay.
Hotels that do weekly stays are less picky about their customer base in general. More expensive hotels don't offer that.

I'd avoid larger expensive hotels for the purpose of CTB. They generally have higher staff levels that are better trained. They also attract the more entitled guests that are far more likely to complain about any little noise you make.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Final Escape, Bct and 1 other person
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
We are included in the "head choppers" category.
P.S. Do you accept kidneys as payment? Mine are no longer in the best condition, but...

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
N for the discerning client, with top shelf chasers.

Exit bags with choice of gas. For the crafters, make your own exit bag classes.

And of course a place to...hang out.

Omg yes a place to hang out!! Oh, knot tying courses!! Arts and crafts would include how to make a slip knot.
We are included in the "head choppers" category.
P.S. Do you accept kidneys as payment? Mine are no longer in the best condition, but...

I think accepting kidney donations or body parts as payment might require special refrigeration and protocols. I'll have to look into that.

If your kidneys are at least 50 percent functional each, I suppose we can stitch them together, (or cable ties), and count it as one functional kidney.

I'll reach out to the compliance department and let you know. ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Skathon
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018

why would hotel staff check on you? Unless you are being absurdly loud, etc. I have never had staff knock to come in on me in any hotel whatsoever aside from the standard cleaning time. Also I have never had a hotel try to turn me away because I am from town or even heard of that happening to anyone anywhere and I have done lots of traveling. I could see it if you look like a hardcore drug addict or homeless maybe.

Last edited:
Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
Omg a suicide hotel sounds amazing!

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon and Deleted member 4993
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
why would hotel staff check on you? Unless you are being absurdly loud, etc. I have never had staff knock to come in on me in any hotel whatsoever aside from the standard cleaning time.
You don't have to be absurdly loud to get a noise complaint. Like I mentioned above some guests in higher end hotels are much more entitled and will make a noise complaint on you for any little sound.

Desk staff will also contact you if there are any discrepancies in their system or paperwork. You could minimize this off chance by being a member of their rewards program.

Dreamless Sleep

Dreamless Sleep

The eternal night before chaos...
Feb 1, 2020
This thread is gold. :pfff:

I would like to sign up for the possible suicide motel investors newsletter.

Reactions: Skathon, Deleted member 4993 and GoodPersonEffed