TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Disclaimer: This guy isn't saying that all disabled people should CTB. He is merely suggesting that they should be allowed the 'option' to do so. Also, for the people who continue to live despite being in similar predicaments, they have my admiration and respect for their courage and perseverance in a difficult life.

I found a post on an interesting subreddit, unpopularopinion, of a guy talking about allowing disabled people a choice to die after exhausting other solutions. Here is his take on it:

Post by u/HughMcHills:

1. Disabled people, if they happen to be depressed, should be allowed to ask and receive assisted suicide. Why you may ask? Imagine living a year without legs, without arms. You're stuck in your hospital bed, staring at the same wall, alone, with a syringe wherever a vein can be used, and with phantom pains (screeching pain occurring almost-randomly). You will want to commit suicide. Now if you're just a hand amputee and you're depressed about yourself, get help. If you really can't, pull the trigger. If you're not providing anything to the hive that is this world, you'd rather just die.
  2. Old and alone people should also be allowed to commit suicide. Alone in your house all day.
  3. Mentally disabled people should be euthanized, but still offered a chance of non-reproductive sex. This world needs disabled people so people can say "oh look it could be worse" but nowadays 90% of all people ingurgitate any information without checking the source, so the media can just create a fake situation with a fake amputee and put it in everyone's mind.
  4. I think that's all.

Personally, I agree with him allowing the "severely" disabled to have an "OPTION" to assisted suicide, euthanasia, especially IF it is their choice and they are doing so 100% on their own free will. I might slightly disagree with the fact that said patient/person must exhaust everything before being able to proceed with the option of an assisted death. I simply don't like the way he is gatekeeping on who gets access to assisted death.

However, given that we are still in a strong, pro-life majority society, this would be the next logical step (while still far from pro-choice utopia) in the war and quest towards a true, pro-choice society. What are your thoughts on his stance and his post?

• Hugs
Reactions: throwaway_2620, LADY007, disabledandhopeless and 2 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Absolutely. It's sad society forces people to live in such conditions when they'd never want to be in that place themselves. Society seems to think their pity helps anything

Reactions: throwaway_2620, LADY007, TAW122 and 1 other person
Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey

Student
Jun 17, 2020
I believe strongly in the right to die and do so humanely, if one sees fit... and unlike many, I would like to see that option extended not only to those with terminal or debilitating physical illnesses, but mental illness as well.

But item #3? Holy eugenics, Batman! That's a no from me.

Reactions: sleepingintherain and archipelago
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
What are your thoughts on his stance and his post?
I believe that anyone should be allowed an option to die peacefully, maybe after being offered to talk to a professional about their issues and being given some arbitrary period of time to keep people from doing it impulsively. But I do understand that most people aren't ready to accept this opinion, so the society might start with the baby steps he is describing - offering peaceful options to people that are permanently disabled, or elderly. I don't believe it matters if an elderly person is alone or has a family, to be honest. So generally I agree with what he has to say.
Except for #3, it just made me go "WTF?". The combination of eugenics with random inclusion of sex just really threw me off.

Reactions: sleepingintherain, Deleted member 19654 and (deleted member)
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
i do think that they should have the right to a painless death if they desire it.

i disagree strongly with #3, though. mentally disabled folks aren't sub-human. being disabled just means you have different abilities/needs than the "average" person. just like everybody should have a right to die, people should have a right to procreate. (and yes, i know birthing a child that never asked to be birthed is problematic. but taking away someone's right to give birth is inhumane to me).

Reactions: archipelago, Deleted member 19654, GrumpyFrog and 1 other person
CarbonMonoxide

CarbonMonoxide

Marejeo ni ngamani
Oct 13, 2019
I believe that anyone should be allowed an option to die peacefully, maybe after being offered to talk to a professional about their issues and being given some arbitrary period of time to keep people from doing it impulsively.
I must strongly disagree with this. It implies more prolife gatekeeping, that a suicidal person can only be 'allowed' to ctb if they meet our conditions first. Have they spoken to a professional? Check. Have they completed the obligatory waiting period? Check. Okay then, give them the N. This is just another way of taking away your right to choose how you die.

Regarding point #3, I agree with you, it's weird and out of touch with reality. I don't think this redditor should ever hold a political seat.

Reactions: sleepingintherain and GrumpyFrog
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
@RoseyBird Yeah, that's the problem with society, it's holier than thou attitude and dismissal of the person's reasoning. Part of it, I feel like society is lazy and also that it too draining to listen and find a solution (or accept that 'death' is a remedy if a person has already exhausted all options and/or that does not wish to pursue a lost cause).

@Shades of Grey I agree with you. As for the 3rd option, I would say that it depends on whether the disabled can consent and if so, as long as they are making a choice completely by their own volition (free choice) then sure. As for the random part about sex, I believe the OP of that thread is sprinkling a bit of anti-natalism coupled with some pleasure.

@Nessie I agree about the waiting period to prevent impulsivity, though I slightly disagree about gatekeeping on 'reasons' to stay alive. As long as the person is determined to be making the choice to die on his/her own volition, free from pressure and/or other influence, then he/she should be able to get access to it.

@VIBRITANNIA Yes, I think for mentally disabled people they should be given opportunities to thrive and if they really want euthanasia or assisted suicide, only then grant it.

@CarbonMonoxide I'm in favor a screening not for gatekeeping, but to make sure the person is making the choice 100% by their own volition (free will) and also a waiting period to prevent impulsivity as well as the rare off chance that a person may change his/her mind during that interim.

C

CatIsFedUpOfThis

Traumatised and tired
Sep 6, 2020
But item #3? Holy eugenics, Batman! That's a no from me.
LMAO my thoughts exactly I can't even comment on the rest of it cuz I'm just O.O at the eugenics

Reactions: sleepingintherain