throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
what was it that pushed them over the edge?

I myself have been suicidal for years and I've known people who have been suicidal for decades. There is always a trigger, something that gives them that final push. Most of the time they don't mention it directly because it is rooted so deeply. Sometimes they do but not often. I think most of us here are still waiting for that trigger that lets us know that our times has come.

That's what I've experienced personally and I'd like to hear your stories.

--------------------------

Personally I believe everyone has the right to die. Who wants to live the rest of his years in a home for the elderly and vegetate? Who wants to live a life full of suffering. If there is a god out there that wants us to go trough that suffering then it is a sadistic being. There is no need to suffer to see right and wrong. Suffering is pointless. Most people would agree with that. It is only the delusional people who've been brainwashed by religion/society/cults etc.. to believe there is purpose in it. And I have to admit I myself am afraid of that because of that indoctrination process that happened to me as a child.

Life can be very very beautiful but life is not for everyone. Not everyone has a perfect life. There are people out there that enjoy themselves every single day and yet there are others out there that live in unspeakable misery. Suffering has its various forms and shapes and you can't pinpoint it to something specific. It's different for everyone! It's important to remember that you can not compare suffering. (The suffering Olympics)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rugnificent, Broken Chimera, Righttodie and 4 others
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
More than anything I'll bet it's the threat of economic impoverishment, loss of relationships/breakup, romantic rejection, death of a child, childlessness especially for women because women on average value relationships more than career, divorce especially for men because they can be financially destroyed, kept away from their kids, drug addiction, progressive illness, loss of social status or physical attractiveness, not having a sense of belonging and a community that is supportive. Not having a purpose or enough things to give meaning and responsibility. Definitely if you are being abused. I'm sure there's more but these ones I've noticed the most common.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: sasshimi, Ladylethal, Egddios and 5 others
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
More than anything I'll bet it's the threat of economic impoverishment, loss of relationships/breakup, romantic rejection, death of a child, childlessness especially for women because women on average value relationships more than career, divorce especially for men because they can be financially destroyed, kept away from their kids, drug addiction, not having a sense of belonging and a community that is supportive. Not having a purpose or enough things to give meaning and responsibility. Definitely if you are being abused. I'm sure there's more but these ones I've noticed the most common.
Although I don´t know anyone who committed suicide I wanted to say too that fininancial reasons is a VERY strong drive to ctb mostly if you are already poor and can barely makes ends meet it´s like if you then get fired or cut off from welfare you face an ultimatum to suicide or go even lower than you were before.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Secrets1, throwaway123, Ladylethal and 6 others
M

malummo

Student
Jul 15, 2019
If they have an unsolvable problem then suffering has overcome all emotions including fear. They are determined in their decision and nobody can stop them from reaching the goal.

Reactions: Circles
O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
When i was much younger I had a friend CTB because he got kicked out of his band (best we could come up with anyway) we really were kind of blindsided there was no "warning" signs. He was here until he was not. We were kids then though and the rollercoaster of emotions you have as a child seem to make it more likely regardless of your general mental health.

I had another friend CTB as a direct result of that. I mean I guess not a direct result she stayed another 2 years and it was a rough 2 years. Still, i'm convinced this was the catalyst but I cannot know. Over the next 2 years there was a lot of other reasons and when she did finally CTB it had been a relatively calm for about 6 months.

I always felt like i was waiting for some kind of trigger myself but it never comes. It's been a long time since I have felt much of anything so I doubt it will anymore.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Broken Chimera, intheend and Circles
Dead beat dad

Dead beat dad

Enlightened
Mar 5, 2019
what was it that pushed them over the edge?

I myself have been suicidal for years and I've known people who have been suicidal for decades. There is always a trigger, something that gives them that final push. Most of the time they don't mention it directly because it is rooted so deeply. Sometimes they do but not often. I think most of us here are still waiting for that trigger that lets us know that our times has come.

That's what I've experienced personally and I'd like to hear your stories.

--------------------------

Personally I believe everyone has the right to die. Who wants to live the rest of his years in a home for the elderly and vegetate? Who wants to live a life full of suffering. If there is a god out there that wants us to go trough that suffering then it is a sadistic being. There is no need to suffer to see right and wrong. Suffering is pointless. Most people would agree with that. It is only the delusional people who've been brainwashed by religion/society/cults etc.. to believe there is purpose in it. And I have to admit I myself am afraid of that because of that indoctrination process that happened to me as a child.

Life can be very very beautiful but life is not for everyone. Not everyone has a perfect life. There are people out there that enjoy themselves every single day and yet there are others out there that live in unspeakable misery. Suffering has its various forms and shapes and you can't pinpoint it to something specific. It's different for everyone! It's important to remember that you can not compare suffering. (The suffering Olympics)
My grandpoppa killed himself. He was 83 I think and about 2 weeks earlier had lost his wife. Based on things he said when I was with him leading up to the event I would say the trigger was the death of his wife.
He literally loved her more than life itself.
DBD

• Aww..
Reactions: Broken Chimera and Righttodie
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
My relative killed himself. I still don't know the whole truth, and perhaps I never will, because he (nor anyone else) never told me anything or much, and I didn't know much about his life, we pretty much only met at birthday parties. His death was total surprise to me, though maybe if I had known him better it wouldn't have been. Heard he had gambling problems, he had even stolen money from grandma if I understood correctly (though I don't know how he would have done it).

But I've been thinking. Before he ctb, he was staying alone in a tiny house/cottage right next to a railroad. I wonder if he would have killed himself, if he didn't have such easy access to ctb. Sometimes I want to ctb really badly and I think "now's the right moment to do it", but then I should either walk a long way to a railroad and hope that a train comes and nobody sees me, or wait till I get to borrow a car to go and buy a rope, but by the time that's possible, the worst of the pain and rage has already subsided and I've calmed down enough to not want to do it anymore on that day.

But of course, it was his choice, and I try to respect that, even if it is sometimes hard.

... I do wonder why he started gambling though... Someone said he was bullied in school when he was younger. Maybe he was too "different and unique" to this world. Who knows...

Sorry, my brain can't English today.

• Hugs
Reactions: throwaway123 and Righttodie
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
I lost a close friend a few years ago. In my friend's case, he was suffering from multiple sclerosis that progressed enough he retired from the job we shared. He was the guy who helped me cut my teeth and deal with jitters, the pressures, and the horrors and my desire to set heartless bureaucrats on fire...

Even though he retired he was the sort of guy that wanted to help others, establishing a group in the local area he was based in for people affected by similar isolating difficulties. He was always a giver.

Regardless of his pains, he had a wonderful sort of humour, the sort that makes me smirk as I sit here pondering his crude jokes or sharp observations distilled into a witty punchline. He should have been a stand-up comedian he would have been up there with George Carlin. We would watch films together sometimes and drink mead and idly play poker. He was the sort of guy that would point out every flaw or inaccuracy. Commenting on how cars in films must be partly made from nitroglycerin.

My memories of him make me feel sad mostly. Sad at what happened. Sad that they closed down the independent living fund, sad they took away his specially adapted Motability car using spurious reasons. I saw how that was like taking scissors to a canary's wings leaving behind bleeding stumps that soon turned rotten. Sadder still they cut his support workers hours. A guy he had grown increasingly dependent on. I remember him telling me how hard it was all starting to become, that it was hard enough fighting his own body let alone everything else. I saw his mood drop, his nights were harder to deal with as he did not always have Andy there, and sometimes he suffered intense muscle spasm that left him rigid and in need of assistance. Throughout our careers we had always been angry at injustice, it is what drove us in the first place. This injustice against him though I think caused him to wither. He would ring me up in the middle of the night sometimes sobbing.

The Problem with these sorts of conversations is after the person is gone, you revisit everything said in intricate detail. Being chewed on by what you should have said, or should have done. Even after years I sometimes find myself thinking about those conversations. The if only's and should of haves resurfacing.

As far as I am concerned my government threw him under the bus. Robbed him of dignity and left him trapped in a way no one should be trapped. Just as they are throwing me under the bus. All for the crime of getting sick.

It may sound like hyperbole to say my government is indirectly killing the disabled in this country. But I will leave Callum's list here and you can stare long into the abyss and come to your own conclusions as you follow the threads of indifference and atrocity. http://calumslist.org/

He did not ring me the night he chose to die. But he had sent me a text at 3:33 Am. That number now has a significance to me. Whenever I see any clock at 3:33 I find myself thinking of him. Like that combination of numbers now has greater meaning. If I am exposed to a film we had watched in the past I think of him, pointing out how that woman was dumb for going into the basement, did she expect to find a convenient hatch to China? Or how that sword is entirely impractical and would be more likely to cause injury to the protagonist than fight off monsters. For a time I also fixated on how I had missed the text, sleeping right through it and cursing myself for not being there. I still have that mobile in my desk drawer. I have stupid anxiety sometimes, that the text will degrade and be gone. It is dumb but it is what it is.

Looking back though I feel that was intentional. That he had made his mind up. He was just done. Things beyond that became a blur for a time. It was all very sad. There was a large turnout at his funeral. He was well-liked and fondly thought of. Former clients of his also attended upon learning of his passing. Each time the date of his death or birthday rolls around I think of him, toast some mead to his memory. I am reminded just how much I miss him. I want to believe he is at peace now, but the realist in me accepts he is not at anything now. The only mercy is a corpse can't suffer further. The maggots get to feast, pupate and be fed on. Death feeding life. Just another indifferent cycle among many.

Some of my clients have also suffered similar fates, failures in what are meant to be supportive systems. I have bitched about it elsewhere. I was left chronically frustrated at just how poor mental health provision is for those who want it. Chronically angered at the stupidity of it all that people asking for help, willing to engage with that help, are the very ones being denied it! Dismissed by it, or worse having it turned on them like they are to blame when nine sessions of lazily delivered CBT they have been waiting for eight months for does not magically cure them of chronic years of abuse... It is utterly sickening to behave in this way.

I feel those deaths much like my friends but it is different, muted by professional distance or I wouldn't have been effective for the next person. Now I don't have to be professional it just adds to my hatred and misanthropy, especially as I am acutely aware mental health provision is worsening, it is the worst I have ever seen it in my entire career.

Wasn't uncommon for my clients' pain to be essentially trivialised in some way. Or for them to not be heard by the treating professional when they would say, 'I don't feel alive I feel like a zombie.' One such client was told how much they were costing the NHS. Then proceeded to engage in extreme self-harm straight after, that landed them in the hospital and with permanent nerve damage... One of my clients who did kill himself came out of a particularly fiery meeting remarking something like, "If me being suicidal is me making progress then being dead must be the fucking cure."

Sad to say he went on to 'cure' himself. I could write a book about the odious shit I have seen. After getting hurt by what is meant to help what avenue does a person have left?

It is depressing to me that this flawed system is what you have to gamble on in the first place. It does work for some but that does not excuse its structural failings. It really is luck of the draw on what is on offer and what personalities and god complexes you run into along the way. Or how eviscerated staff are by various top-down pressures and targets or dangerous workloads that take away from meaningful care. Because reams of paper on outdated systems must be attended to and the liability of things satisfied otherwise ivory tower management forces may descend and want to lop off heads.

It operates like triage and makes little attempt at preventative measures, as most outpatient services have been cut to ribbons. Or if you are unlucky they do exist, but because you have self-harmed recently you do not qualify at this time... even if severe anxiety and isolation are what is making you self harm in the first place! It is all about saving costs or accruing profit while front line services are having to deal with the mantra of do more with less and obviously failing. In the same way you would fail to feed more people with less food. It does not compute, but this is the bat shit logic that is underscoring rampant failure across the board. Leaving minors in abusive situations. Elderly stewing in their own shit. Schools needing to beg for books. Charities to go under as they lose funding and often along with it goes your access to justice and awareness of what may well exist in your area.

People, as a result, are just left to face a wasteland in a lot of cases. Unsurprisingly people don't make it. In the same way, people crossing a desert that do not encounter an oasis soon enough don't make it.

The trigger point I feel is unaddressed pain in whatever form to the point a person just cannot cope any more. Something snaps that can overwhelm survival instinct. In the past, I have crossed that line myself.

One pain that is rarely considered with any real weight is chronic dissatisfaction and disappointment. As if those are trivial. But they are an erosive kind of pain that whittles away everything till passion itself dies. At that point your life is autopilot of job, tv, sleep repeat. To make matters worse keeping the lights on demands you do this dance regardless if you have a passion or not. The savagery of that dance is getting worse, not better. I have never seen work environments provoke so much fear as I have now.

Or if you happen to be disabled in some way it can become surviving just to survive while wondering why. Where no amount of positive mental spin is going to change the fact you are slowly drowning to death in your own lung fluid. Your own government just recently cut your support hours and has no qualms rendering you homeless, but your therapist is telling you, you are just catastrophising.

The whole system meant to address pain is rotten to the core. Needs more than a serious overhaul but a structural change. But that is not going to happen because to overhaul this. Society itself would have to look at the toxic environments it has normalised and continues to protect for a greedy minority. As well as changing it would also cost money and damage shareholder value across sectors. Can't have that now can we.

So no son, pull yourself up by your bootstraps stop being a lazy entitled whiner and desist in engaging in chaotic lifestyles. If you don't like it you can always move to North Korea. (Just in case my Britishness is lost on you, that paragraph was bitter sarcasm. You will have to forgive my grammar crimes as well as I can't summon up enough effort to care. Now it is back to stabbing orcs in the face, ironically the middle earth universe makes more damn sense than this one. Rant over.. Peace..)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Secrets1, throwaway123, Egddios and 1 other person
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
A friend I used to play Dota with CTBed in December 2017. I remember thinking 'good for him, hope he's at peace now'. I found my parents' idea that he wronged his family to be disgusting. It also got me thinking about CTBing myself.

CozyTime

CozyTime

Death should be a free choice
Feb 16, 2019
Well I've been surrounding myself around like minded people (in terms of suicidal thoughts) for as long as I can remember, trauma early on made me seek other people who could relate so I guess I've had to deal with a few losses because of suicide throughout the years.

For most of them it was other losses that had put them in that state of mind in the first place so for example one had lost both of his parents in a car crash a few years before offing himself. His name was Alex and Alex struggled a lot after his parents passed away, no close family that cared (one drunken Uncle who cared more about his next hit of booze than trying to bury his brother) and they weren't exactly well off economically from the start. He couldn't make ends meet with the bills and the type of work he was able to get, eventually he lost his job and all he told me was that he was tired and just wanted to go to "sleep" in a place where no thoughts could haunt him.

When he told me he had lost his job I knew what it truly meant, it was time. While we never really held a conversation about suicide after he lost his job it was mutually understood by the both of us that losing his job was a death sentence. He had no plans of trying to survive homelessness when he struggled to live on a minimum wage in the first place. I'm glad that I got to say my last words to him because I never got to with anyone else. Its probably the suicide I feel most "comfortable" with and remember as "sweet" he got his end, he is finally in a place where he gets to sleep and no thoughts will haunt him and no near family to get hurt by it.

Most suicides that I know of has some form of "final punch" before they decide to kill themselves but the why or how important they are tend to vary in my experience, for Alex it was his job but for someone else it was failing a test she could re-take that was a final punch for her, an extremely down and bad episode of bipolar, partner breaks up with them etc.