J

JustABunchOfAtoms

She/they
Jul 23, 2020
I stopped eating after awhile when I was admitted to hospital, thinking it was a way I could ctb. I just got tube fed.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Oh, how I envy this! Achieving and sustaining this level of ketosis may be my final hope for reversing and improving my rapidly deteriorating mental functioning (and losing over half my body weight in a situation where bone spurs and plantar fasciitis are also severely impairing my ability to exercise).

Currently recovering from kidney stone ultrasound lithotripsy (leaving my urine looking like cranberry juice), and I have a polyp in my gall bladder which may compromise my body's ability to process ketosis.
Ouch. I also had a polyp in my gallbladder last year, but the surgeon I went to said it would dissolve. I went for another ultrasound on my abdomen and there was no polyp so I guess it dissolved. I'm now in the 80mg range which is still large and in ketosis. I'm now down 7 lbs. My highest weight was 218. I started my journey at 212 and I'm down to 205. I was 205.5 this morning so I guess I'm doing everything right. I'm gonna incorporate some exercise in so I can maximize my weight loss.

Reactions: Élégie and Gnip
Lost.

Lost.

Antidepressants and antipsychotics are posion
Feb 13, 2020
My friend tried to commit suicide on this way

D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
Tried starvation, just leads to unfortunately timed wake ups in emergency rooms.
Some risk of permanent injury as well. I think that approach has certain case uses i guess.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I often just don't eat when sad. I don't feel hunger and will lose several pounds a week easily. I wouldn't recommend it. For me my bp tanks, and low bp feels pretty bad. It takes way too long to actually starve to death, and it's a miserable road.

• Hugs
Reactions: sourpink and justsad&done
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Ouch. I also had a polyp in my gallbladder last year, but the surgeon I went to said it would dissolve. I went for another ultrasound on my abdomen and there was no polyp so I guess it dissolved. I'm now in the 80mg range which is still large and in ketosis. I'm now down 7 lbs. My highest weight was 218. I started my journey at 212 and I'm down to 205. I was 205.5 this morning so I guess I'm doing everything right. I'm gonna incorporate some exercise in so I can maximize my weight loss.

Thank you for that, and please keep us posted. I also expect my gallbladder polyp to dissolve.

With ketosis, the standard advice is to keep uric acid and bilirubin levels monitored. I have been on allopurinol for years to manage my uric acid, and am taking milk thistle supplements to support my liver and try to maintain healthy bilirubin numbers.

Exercise will be very difficult for me unless I am carrying much less weight, particularly with my feet both hurting from plantar fasciitis, and bone spurs in my lower back causing pinched nerves. (I used to be an avid jogger, and that's how I originally developed plantar fasciitis, sprinting up a steep hill. These injuries take over a year of rest to heal.)

Fortunately, although Robert Atkins encouraged exercise for those able to do so, he expressed that it was not necessary to exercise for losing weight while in ketosis, so no workout induced wear and tear on joints and ligaments was demanded in order for weight loss goals to be achieved.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Thank you for that, and please keep us posted. I also expect my gallbladder polyp to dissolve.

With ketosis, the standard advice is to keep uric acid and bilirubin levels monitored. I have been on allopurinol for years to manage my uric acid, and am taking milk thistle supplements to support my liver and try to maintain healthy bilirubin numbers.

Exercise will be very difficult for me unless I am carrying much less weight, particularly with my feet both hurting from plantar fasciitis, and bone spurs in my lower back causing pinched nerves. (I used to be an avid jogger, and that's how I originally developed plantar fasciitis, sprinting up a steep hill. These injuries take over a year of rest to heal.)

Fortunately, although Robert Atkins encouraged exercise for those able to do so, he expressed that it was not necessary to exercise for losing weight while in ketosis, so no workout induced wear and tear on joints and ligaments was demanded in order for weight loss goals to be achieved.
Sometimes I wonder if I have plantar fasciitis because whenever I hop out of a car or truck, my feet hurt really bad for about 30 seconds. Oh and I'm also down almost 9 lbs as of today (15 days).

Reactions: Gnip
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Sometimes I wonder if I have plantar fasciitis because whenever I hop out of a car or truck, my feet hurt really bad for about 30 seconds. Oh and I'm also down almost 9 lbs as of today (15 days).

Often, plantar fasciitis is acutely localized as a sharp white hot poker pin or red hot nail point in the heel (hence plantar fasciitis often has the misnomer "heel spur" applied to it, although relatively few cases involved true bone spurs in the heel).

With plantar fasciitis, the pain in the heel comes from a strained arch which arch supports rather than heel cushions often can relieve the pain of. (Originally, I tried cushioning my heels with pad to no avail, did some research on plantar fasciitis, obtained my first dedicated Sore Dawgs insoles arch supports, and experienced some instant relief.)

As the winter season comes to an end, I hope to have an opportunity to walk outdoors a bit in my bare feet to strengthen my foot muscles therapeutically against developing plantar fasciitis again.

Frequently, weight loss alone can eliminate much foot pain and discomfort.

In recent years, fitness profiteers have come clean in admitting that nutrition without exercise is superior to exercise without dietary changes for losing weight.

To me, sports medicine is a bastard profession which has no right to exist. Even where athletes are at an ideal weight, crippling injuries like plantar fasciitis and compartment syndrome are epidemic.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Often, plantar fasciitis is acutely localized as a sharp white hot poker pin or red hot nail point in the heel (hence plantar fasciitis often has the misnomer "heel spur" applied to it, although relatively few cases involved true bone spurs in the heel).

With plantar fasciitis, the pain in the heel comes from a strained arch which arch supports rather than heel cushions often can relieve the pain of. (Originally, I tried cushioning my heels with pad to no avail, did some research on plantar fasciitis, obtained my first dedicated Sore Dawgs insoles arch supports, and experienced some instant relief.)

As the winter season comes to an end, I hope to have an opportunity to walk outdoors a bit in my bare feet to strengthen my foot muscles therapeutically against developing plantar fasciitis again.

Frequently, weight loss alone can eliminate much foot pain and discomfort.

In recent years, fitness profiteers have come clean in admitting that nutrition without exercise is superior to exercise without dietary changes for losing weight.

To me, sports medicine is a bastard profession which has no right to exist. Even where athletes are at an ideal weight, crippling injuries like plantar fasciitis and compartment syndrome are epidemic.
Are you more likely to have it if you have no arches in your feet? (I'm flat footed)

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Are you more likely to have it if you have no arches in your feet? (I'm flat footed)

Yes, you are indeed more likely to have it if you have no arches in your feet (high arches can also be a problem) and this is why the way boys walked in bare feet were examined when I was in school by a podiatrist, when there was still a military draft. I didn't realize for decades that those physicians were evaluating all the boys in school as prospective military infantrymen. I was called into a small examination room with all the other boys in my school, one by one, we were instructed to take off our shoes AND socks, then walk back and forth on the floor, barefoot while this medical doctor never seen by any of us before or since examined our gait.

As I walked back and forth during that brief examination, this elderly gentleman quipped, "Have flat feet, eh?," made a note and dismissed me for the next student to be examined. In hindsight, his observation that I then had flat feet (I was around age 12 or 13) may have held significance for my development of future foot injuries.

Having flat feet, or Morton's toe (where the second toe is longer than the big toe) could really screw up the feet, and disqualify males from consideration for military service.

For exercise, I'm considering resuming my youthful activity of bicycling as a healthier alternative to running for sparing my feet and knees.

Consider consulting a podiatrist if you have access to a competent one. (Finding a good one can be tricky. I've met some terrific personalities in the field who were completely incompetent, while two of the very best podiatrists who ever treated me were utterly droll, drab and completely void of any expression, but those dull personalities provided outstanding and aggressively proactive treatment, fitting me to walking boots which instantly relieved my foot pain, and placing me on an aggressive 20 day course of prednisone.)

Decades ago, I met a young mother who had pounded her feet flat running marathons, and she was told that surgical repairs to her feet would cost well over $40,000, none of it covered by insurance. Compared to that, professionally fitted shoes and proper inserts are an economic bargain.

Undertaking a fitness regimen can either vastly improve your body over the long term, or render you a cripple. Forget what everybody else is doing. You do not want to damage your body, and you will not be able to tone it or build it up if you injure it trying to achieve fitness or physical culture goals.

D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
Probe the bottom of your foot and look for the "knot" it will be a different hardness compared to the rest of your foot.
The laser removal works pretty well and leaves a fun hole in your foot to poke at.

Stress fracture is also possible.
if you feel sharp jolts that shoot up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnip and Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Yes, you are indeed more likely to have it if you have no arches in your feet (high arches can also be a problem) and this is why the way boys walked in bare feet were examined when I was in school by a podiatrist, when there was still a military draft. I didn't realize for decades that those physicians were evaluating all the boys in school as prospective military infantrymen. I was called into a small examination room with all the other boys in my school, one by one, we were instructed to take off our shoes AND socks, then walk back and forth on the floor, barefoot while this medical doctor never seen by any of us before or since examined our gait.

As I walked back and forth during that brief examination, this elderly gentleman quipped, "Have flat feet, eh?," made a note and dismissed me for the next student to be examined. In hindsight, his observation that I then had flat feet (I was around age 12 or 13) may have held significance for my development of future foot injuries.

Having flat feet, or Morton's toe (where the second toe is longer than the big toe) could really screw up the feet, and disqualify males from consideration for military service.

For exercise, I'm considering resuming my youthful activity of bicycling as a healthier alternative to running for sparing my feet and knees.

Consider consulting a podiatrist if you have access to a competent one. (Finding a good one can be tricky. I've met some terrific personalities in the field who were completely incompetent, while two of the very best podiatrists who ever treated me were utterly droll, drab and completely void of any expression, but those dull personalities provided outstanding and aggressively proactive treatment, fitting me to walking boots which instantly relieved my foot pain, and placing me on an aggressive 20 day course of prednisone.)

Decades ago, I met a young mother who had pounded her feet flat running marathons, and she was told that surgical repairs to her feet would cost well over $40,000, none of it covered by insurance. Compared to that, professionally fitted shoes and proper inserts are an economic bargain.

Undertaking a fitness regimen can either vastly improve your body over the long term, or render you a cripple. Forget what everybody else is doing. You do not want to damage your body, and you will not be able to tone it or build it up if you injure it trying to achieve fitness or physical culture goals.
I'll look into one later. There's still plenty of doctors I need to go to for now like my optometrist, my dentist etc. I've ignored my eyes and teeth for the past few years so I need to make appointments for those first :)

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
I'll look into one later. There's still plenty of doctors I need to go to for now like my optometrist, my dentist etc. I've ignored my eyes and teeth for the past few years so I need to make appointments for those first :)

Good. What's really important is what you are already doing right now, losing weight by burning off fat in ketosis, and doing it in a way that your brain function might even improve more than it could on many medications. (The late Harvard researcher George F. Cahill, Jr. discovered that when the brain is given the choice between burning ketones or glucose, ketones are actually the brain's preferred fuel source. It was Cahill's research which scientifically proved that the human daily requirement for carbohydrates is zero. Cahill lived 20 miles from me after he retired, and I actually spoke with him on the telephone a few years before he died.)

• Love
Reactions: Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Good. What's really important is what you are already doing right now, losing weight by burning off fat in ketosis, and doing it in a way that your brain function might even improve more than it could on many medications. (The late Harvard researcher George F. Cahill, Jr. discovered that when the brain is given the choice between burning ketones or glucose, ketones are actually the brain's preferred fuel source. It was Cahill's research which scientifically proved that the human daily requirement for carbohydrates is zero. Cahill lived 20 miles from me after he retired, and I actually spoke with him on the telephone a few years before he died.)
I'm almost under 200 :) at 202.6 lbs

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
I'm almost under 200 :) at 202.6 lbs

Excellent! I can't begin to express how much I envy and admire you for being able to do this! I have not been able to achieve ketosis so far. (The medications I take are impairing my weight loss, and possibly preventing me from achieving ketosis.)

If your breath smells like acetone, chlorophyll supplements will stop that almost immediately, as Robert Atkins advised readers of his original classic bestselling book in 1972. (Mouthwash, chewing gum and other topical halitosis treatments do not curtail acetone breath, since that is a bodily secretion side effect of ketosis.)

• Hugs
Reactions: Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Excellent! I can't begin to express how much I envy and admire you for being able to do this! I have not been able to achieve ketosis so far. (The medications I take are impairing my weight loss, and possibly preventing me from achieving ketosis.)

If your breath smells like acetone, chlorophyll supplements will stop that almost immediately, as Robert Atkins advised readers of his original classic bestselling book in 1972. (Mouthwash, chewing gum and other topical halitosis treatments do not curtail acetone breath, since that is a bodily secretion side effect of ketosis.)
I might break keto for a day for Thanksgiving, but after, I'm probably going to fast for 2 days to get back in it and won't be breaking for another 4 - 5 months (even Christmas I won't be breaking)

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019

I'm finally under 200. At 198 :) though my ketosis is in the moderate range so might fast for a day to get deeper into it :(

Reactions: justsad&done and Gnip
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
Does starvation help to dull the survival instinct at all? If so then it might be a useful strategy to use in tandem with another method?

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Does starvation help to dull the survival instinct at all? If so then it might be a useful strategy to use in tandem with another method?
I don't think it's a very reliable method to use. In the late stages of starvation you'll definitely become very weak. So it's hard to properly execute and focus on the other method you'll plan on doing.
Maybe just a short fast before doing another method will make you feel SI a little less (highly dependent on the person though).

Reactions: justsad&done
J

justsad&done

Visionary
Nov 11, 2020
No expert here, but I don't think it would necessarily quell the SI. It may make you weak and not as focused though.

Reactions: stygal
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
Maybe just a short fast before doing another method will make you feel SI a little less (highly dependent on the person though).
Might try this out, see how a 24/48hr fast affects me. A weakened body is going to be useful with most methods, just a matter of finding out if the mind goes the same way or not.