Pomegranate

Pomegranate

"To die is gain."
Jan 21, 2022
On my way to hit 20 soon, but I still feel like crap. Is it normal to not feel anything but the side effects?

And what is the magic number? 20? 21? 22? 23? 24? Something else?

deathbylife

deathbylife

going to die soon no one cares
Jun 21, 2022
I wouldn't touch ECT with a 20 foot pole. It scrambles your thinking, memory and concentration in the name of "fixing" you.
On my way to hit 20 soon, but I still feel like crap. Is it normal to not feel anything but the side effects?

And what is the magic number? 20? 21? 22? 23? 24? Something else?
I would stop immediately before more harm is done

Last edited:
Reactions: lachrymost, Hollowman and Venus13
Pomegranate

Pomegranate

"To die is gain."
Jan 21, 2022
I wouldn't touch ECT with a 20 foot pole. It scrambles your thinking, memory and concentration in the name of "fixing" you.

I would stop immediately before more harm is done
Is there reliable evidence behind this statement? There is established consensus behind ECT, and review articles in many reliable journals, such as the New England Journal of Medicine, have confirmed the same since then. Why would doctors and scientists lie about this body of evidence, and just as importantly, why would patients who did ECT and have seemingly gotten better because of it lie about it?

deathbylife

deathbylife

going to die soon no one cares
Jun 21, 2022
Is there reliable evidence behind this statement? There is established consensus behind ECT, and review articles in many reliable journals, such as the New England Journal of Medicine, have confirmed the same since then. Why would doctors and scientists lie about this body of evidence, and just as importantly, why would patients who did ECT and have seemingly gotten better because of it lie about it?
It's legalized lobotomy. Why wouldn't doctors like an easy answer and an easy way to control patients?

Reactions: Hollowman
Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
As someone who had a friend who did ECT, I also wouldn't recommend it. I heard some horrible stories and I feel sorry for my friend who had to go through it.

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021

Pomegranate

Pomegranate

"To die is gain."
Jan 21, 2022
Peter Breggin's views are contradicted by the mainstream medical community and do not reflect the consensus of the vast majority of psychiatric professionals. He has been criticized for cherry-picking research, misinterpreting data, and spreading misinformation about ECT. As a result, all of his attacks are considered "a carefully and cleverly crafted piece of artful propaganda." In fact, he has been repeatedly debunked by the scientific community.

I really hope to hear less of quackery being streamlined as mainstream science. A lot of people here seek psychiatric help, and they can find the help they need in ECT, since it is highly effective for treatment-resistant depression, acute mania, psychotic mood disorders, and catatonia. By "highly effective," I mean as much as 4 out of every 5 patients. Eventually, whatever decision the user of this site makes is up to them. (That includes me.) However, shouldn't decisions be made on accurate information!?

• Wow
Reactions: katagiri83 and lachrymost
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
different things work for different people. maybe it has hurt others, but maybe it will help you. as long as you do your research and keep noted on how youre feeling, stopping immediately at the sign of any adverse effects, you should be fine. from what i did quickly read i can see where it would have the possibility to cause problems i personally would at least keep a journal, writing in it after each appointment and at different points keeping track of how im feeling.

Reactions: katagiri83
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Peter Breggin's views are contradicted by the mainstream medical community and do not reflect the consensus of the vast majority of psychiatric professionals. He has been criticized for cherry-picking research, misinterpreting data, and spreading misinformation about ECT. As a result, all of his attacks are considered "a carefully and cleverly crafted piece of artful propaganda." In fact, he has been repeatedly debunked by the scientific community.

I really hope to hear less of quackery being streamlined as mainstream science. A lot of people here seek psychiatric help, and they can find the help they need in ECT, since it is highly effective for treatment-resistant depression, acute mania, psychotic mood disorders, and catatonia. By "highly effective," I mean as much as 4 out of every 5 patients. Eventually, whatever decision the user of this site makes is up to them. (That includes me.) However, shouldn't decisions be made on accurate information!?
When money is all that matters getting 'accurate information' isn't likely to happen. Good luck though.

S

Spyware

Nov 6, 2020
If 20 "sessions" were not enough for you then how many more will you need? What do you even expect from this therapy? Just wake up one day after session â„–52391370610 and say hey guess my lifes not miserable anymore?

I'll never understand this logic. "My life is shit, so im just gonna kill my brain now"

Reactions: lachrymost
U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
I've heard some say that it saved their life and have heard others say that it ruined their life. It's hard going off of a bunch of anecdotal accounts and then also not having too much trust for what the people administering it say about it.

I figure I'm going to try it at some point unless I just skip to ctb instead but with all the guilt I have preventing me from an easier exit, I will realistically probably be around long enough to where I'm desperate enough to try it. If I have a bad experience, I'd hope that I would have the courage to call it quits if things are still unbearable.

hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
Tbh I am a trained scientist in the STEM field, I know how to read scientific papers and how to conduct empirical research. I started looking into psychology journals and some psychiatric journals. I do admit that I just scratched the surface but some articles published out there are just non-sense, clinical trials conducted on maybe 20 patients, results that are not verified by other research groups, superficial knowledge of basic statistics. psychology looks to me as a bunch of insights extrapolated by little more than questionnaires and study groups. psychiatric looks a little better but far from what I would call a serious scientific field... I just feel that the only things such fields managed to do so far is classifying symptoms or better giving names to general behaviors that are not good in a productive society, for a definition of productive society that changes over the decades.