Thequietone

Thequietone

Student
Dec 4, 2021
So I am a selfharmer for 10 years now and started my first real job 2021. This year we have a first aid course at work, we will be seperated in groups because we have 200 employees. So it could be that my boss or so is with me in it. I heard that we do a training with bandaging someone up. So if a colleague wants to bandage my arm and I have to roll up my sleeves what can I do? Like if I refuse it would be weird and if I call in sick it would be too. I thought about only telling my boss because I have scars nearly everywhere. But I'm also afraid of that even I have so lovely colleagues and a great supportive boss. Help me please thx

• Hugs
Reactions: Jumper Seoirse, lofticries, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
E

eternalflame

Experienced
Mar 30, 2022
Can't you lie how you got them? Dogs or bushes?

Thequietone

Thequietone

Student
Dec 4, 2021
Can't you lie how you got them? Dogs or bushes?
No way. My scars are so obvious because I cut a lot and in different directions. But would have been a good idea if I wasn't so fucked up that time. Thx

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Fthis
C

chronicallybroken

Student
Jul 16, 2022
Is it just one arm? You could use the other if so, that's what I try to do

Doombox

Doombox

Who knows, who cares
Apr 7, 2022
Could you talk to your boss and just say that you have a skin condition that makes it embarrassing for you to show your arms? Some people have eczema patches and things like that.

Reactions: Foresight, lofticries, not-2-b-the-answer and 2 others
Thequietone

Thequietone

Student
Dec 4, 2021
Is it just one arm? You could use the other if so, that's what I try to do
Both arms. Yeah I know I was stupid the last years.
Could you talk to your boss and just say that you have a skin condition that makes it embarrassing for you to show your arms? Some people have eczema patches and things like that.
Oh that is a great idea thanks. Haven't thought about that : )

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Doombox
C

chronicallybroken

Student
Jul 16, 2022
Both arms. Yeah I know I was stupid the last years.
Not stupid at all! Just dealing with your feelings the only way you learned how. It's nothing to be ashamed of :)

• Love
Reactions: lofticries and not-2-b-the-answer
Q

QuietEnd

Doing the work
Jul 8, 2022
Ask them to bandage over the top of your sleeves. If you are wearing tighter fitting sleeves they can't roll up and that becomes your reason.

Reactions: Foresight, lofticries, chronicallybroken and 1 other person
Thequietone

Thequietone

Student
Dec 4, 2021
Ask them to bandage over the top of your sleeves. If you are wearing tighter fitting sleeves they can't roll up and that becomes your reason.
That is brilliant : )

Thank you sooo much!

Reactions: QuietEnd
Q

QuietEnd

Doing the work
Jul 8, 2022
Glad it's helpful.

I've done a fair few first aid courses so had this problem myself. There's usually one person in the class.

I also recommend not wearing a dress or skirt as you'll have to do lots of kneeling with CPR and recovery positions.

Jumper Seoirse

Jumper Seoirse

Student
Apr 8, 2022
If you're really worried arrive early or during a break tell the trainer you feel embarrassed you had an eczema breakout yesterday and don't want people to see, ask them about rolling up your sleeves as you have an elderly sick mother, and your worried about covid or monkeypox.

If they say no, hit them with a chair, :smiling:, I'm joking but they will be ok they are reasonable people, I did St Johns Ambulance 4 day course in the UK and there was no contact but that was during the lockdown.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Jumper Seoirse

• Love
Reactions: chronicallybroken
Thequietone

Thequietone

Student
Dec 4, 2021
If you're really worried arrive early or during a break tell the trainer you feel embarrassed you had an eczema breakout yesterday and don't want people to see, ask them about rolling up your sleeves as you have an elderly sick mother, and your worried about covid or monkeypox.

If they say no, hit them with a chair, :smiling:, I'm joking but they will be ok they are reasonable people, I did St Johns Ambulance 4 day course in the UK and there was no contact but that was during the lockdown.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Jumper Seoirse
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I will think about it, have a lot of ideas now because so many replied : )

And hitting with a chair sounds fun lol 😅 I think we get no trainer one of my colleagues does it.

Reactions: Jumper Seoirse
Jumper Seoirse

Jumper Seoirse

Student
Apr 8, 2022
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I will think about it, have a lot of ideas now because so many replied : )

And hitting with a chair sounds fun lol 😅 I think we get no trainer one of my colleagues does it.

Oh in that case make sure they are qualified to train otherwise all your training is invalid, on a different note, why not bandage your arms in the morning and say you started cycling and had a crash and cut and grazed both your arms and there was a lot of blood, then say what do you think of my bandages wrapping skills, job done, :smiling:

Cheers

Jumper Seoirse