434am

434am

Feb 3, 2022
Hello, after lurking for months I have decided to create an account. Social media scares me quite a bit but everyone here seems nice from what I have seen so I decided to give it a go.

I just fucked up a job interview. Well it wasn't really a job interview, I had already done an interview beforehand and they wanted me to come in for a 2nd one to assess my work habits for 1 hour and 30 mins. I was so nervous on what to wear and trying to present myself right that I completely lost track of time and ended up arriving 1 minute late.

Despite that I felt like I did a pretty good job, but I guess it wasn't good enough because once I arrived home I immediately got an email saying that I wasn't what their company was looking for. All because I was late, it was so preventable too. If only I wasn't so careless.

Oh well.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: whywere, Sanva, Foresight and 1 other person
A

allesistgut

Experienced
Jan 22, 2022
that's seriously messed up, they're ridiculous if they think arriving 1 minute late is a reason not to hire you. i mean seriously. though if they saw that as a major flaw maybe it's for the best that you won't work there? i mean i can't imagine what other things they would do that could cause stress and what not. i'm sorry you didn't get the job though, i know a failed interview can leave you feeling pretty defeated.

I was so nervous on what to wear and trying to present myself right
i can definitely relate to this. i overthink things so much, it's so annoying i really wish i wouldn't.

• Love
Reactions: whywere and 434am
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Is a 1.5 hour "work assessment" normal?

Job hunting can be soul crushing. I feel you. I hope you feel better soon. Give yourself credit for doing this. It's very hard.

• Love
Reactions: whywere, fox_wannabe and 434am
434am

434am

Feb 3, 2022
though if they saw that as a major flaw maybe it's for the best that you won't work there?
You're right, though it does suck because it has me thinking whether or not that was the only reason. Like what if they didn't like the way I looked or acted? I feel like I preformed well but maybe it wasn't up to their standards. Just a whole lotta overthinking tbh.
Is a 1.5 hour "work assessment" normal?
I am unsure, it was an entry level job for a restaurant. I've been told that it wasn't normal but I have barely any work experience so I don't know. It was supposed to be 2 hours but they ended it off early as it was getting pretty busy.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: whywere and allesistgut
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@434am are you in the us? Amazon and UPS are hiring on the spot, pay starts from $12-$15/hr. No assessment, just sign and start tomorrow.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
434am

434am

Feb 3, 2022
@434am are you in the us? Amazon and UPS are hiring on the spot, pay starts from $12-$15/hr. No assessment, just sign and start tomorrow.
I am not in the states but I'm sure there are opportunities where I am, I will look into it.

• Hugs
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
1 minute late? No words for it, I'm so sorry, ti be honest call me old fashioned, but an interview should be only one time, there are interviewed who people are called 3 times, just my opinion. in my country for example to earn 6o0 euros a month. It's sad. Hope you get a well paid job and more important a job that you at least enjoy doing. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, a big hug,

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and 434am
Mixo

Mixo

Blue
Aug 2, 2020
If you're in the UK, I can refer you to a place that is hiring home-based data entry workers - nothing glamorous, but will make you some easy money until you find something better.

Also, not hiring you over being one minute late is one thing. Some people are sticklers for being on time. But holy shit, a 1.5 hour performance assessment? I would be sweating bullets!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
434am

434am

Feb 3, 2022
If you're in the UK, I can refer you to a place that is hiring home-based data entry workers
I'm in Canada but I appreciate the thought :)
Also, not hiring you over being one minute late is one thing. Some people are sticklers for being on time. But holy shit, a 1.5 hour performance assessment? I would be sweating bullets!
They told me afterwards that they expected me to come in at least 10 minutes early which I kind of understand, but eh I don't think I would have enjoyed working there anyway.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and Mixo
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Hello, after lurking for months I have decided to create an account. Social media scares me quite a bit but everyone here seems nice from what I have seen so I decided to give it a go.

I just fucked up a job interview. Well it wasn't really a job interview, I had already done an interview beforehand and they wanted me to come in for a 2nd one to assess my work habits for 1 hour and 30 mins. I was so nervous on what to wear and trying to present myself right that I completely lost track of time and ended up arriving 1 minute late.

Despite that I felt like I did a pretty good job, but I guess it wasn't good enough because once I arrived home I immediately got an email saying that I wasn't what their company was looking for. All because I was late, it was so preventable too. If only I wasn't so careless.

Oh well.
Welcome to SS my good new friend!! SS is a wonderful place filled with loving and caring souls, like you! Welcome!

On another note, I have through the many decades, been there done that, as far as having companies say no and then I was beating myself up over some fact of why and on occasion I found out that it was a no for some stupid reason that was 100% out of my scope of control.

Always remember, what comes around, goes around, and with that aspect said those same companies that did not give me a chance went through so, so many others in that said position and I just laughed about it.

You WILL do and be awesome in life, as it took me a few tries in the job marketplace, and I wound up at the same firm for 29.5 years.

You are NOT careless as if a company is going to be that small minded upfront, then they did you a favor as with my experience, that it could a not so friendly company culture.

One aspect about being 65, reference point, is that I have been through the mill, at least somewhat, and YOU WILL do great!

Again, WELCOME!!!

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, absoluteanimal1 and 434am
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
If the issue was lateness, they could have not wasted your time for the next 90 minutes.

• Love
Reactions: summers, whywere, 434am and 1 other person
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
I had already done an interview beforehand and they wanted me to come in for a 2nd one to assess my work habits for 1 hour and 30 mins.
it was an entry level job for a restaurant.
Good fucking lord. I hear crazy shit like this all the time and it just makes me further demotivated from ever trying. Its an entry level job, whats the big deal, just fucking hire them and if they don't work out, fire them. Why make people do shit like this for entry level work, ffs.

Welcome to the forums.

Reactions: 434am