annasplight

annasplight

endless grief
Aug 6, 2024
Hi everyone, Anna here.
I've been struggling with mental health since I was very young, about eight years old. I finally had an appointment with a psychiatrist yesterday and she diagnosed me! Depression, anxiety, PTSD, and Bipolar. We have more sessions lined up, so I'm not exactly sure if there's anything more, but I am mainly scared about the medications she prescribed me. I've never been on medication before, but she's put me on 25mg of Zoloft and Abilify.
I am quite sensitive to medications due to my disabilities (one of them being a heart condition) and i'm just scared of how they'll effect me. Can anyone tell me how their life is on these medications? Or simply how an antipsychotic effects you?
Thank you so much. I just wanna get better.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, Little_Suzy, Somebody and 4 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's probably trial and error. Did you tell your psychiatrist about your heart condition? I wish you all the best and hope you find a way to recover :heart:🫂

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, annasplight and GuessWhosBack
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

If you have doubts, reach out. Here to listen.
Jul 15, 2024
Hi everyone, Anna here.
I've been struggling with mental health since I was very young, about eight years old. I finally had an appointment with a psychiatrist yesterday and she diagnosed me! Depression, anxiety, PTSD, and Bipolar. We have more sessions lined up, so I'm not exactly sure if there's anything more, but I am mainly scared about the medications she prescribed me. I've never been on medication before, but she's put me on 25mg of Zoloft and Abilify.
I am quite sensitive to medications due to my disabilities (one of them being a heart condition) and i'm just scared of how they'll effect me. Can anyone tell me how their life is on these medications? Or simply how an antipsychotic effects you?
Thank you so much. I just wanna get better.
Let your psychiatrist know immediately if you feel any palpitations due to Abilify. Other than that, I've been on Zoloft. 25mg doesn't sound like the highest dose. Most probably the dose will be increased over time at weekly intervals, or kept there depending on how you react to it.

When I was on Zoloft I felt relatively the same, but slept for longer, more often, and was more emotionally numb.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, Praestat_Mori and annasplight
Grumble

Grumble

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
First of all, what you are doing takes some serious courage! Good for you for taking these steps.

There is such variance with side effects of (any) medication, you pretty much won't get a consistent answer through individual accounts. Certainly no way of foretelling what you'll experience, other than to offer probabilities based on trials and studies of the medications in question.

I would suggest keeping somewhat of a medication journal. Take notes about how you're feeling (any improvements or worsening of your diagnoses) and about any side effects you experience (if any) along with how strong or how tolerable/disruptive they feel to you. Then take those notes with you any time you're following up with your psychiatrist. It's good to keep track of starting dates where there have been changes in dosages as well. At least, I've always found this preferable to relying on memory alone.

Again, I know what it is to feel scared about trying medications, so just reading what you've said here, makes me feel proud for you! Wishing you very well with this.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, Praestat_Mori, annasplight and 1 other person
annasplight

annasplight

endless grief
Aug 6, 2024
It's probably trial and error. Did you tell your psychiatrist about your heart condition? I wish you all the best and hope you find a way to recover :heart:🫂
Thank you so much for your well wishes! I let her know about my heart condition, so she's at least aware of it :)

Let your psychiatrist know immediately if you feel any palpitations due to Abilify. Other than that, I've been on Zoloft. 25mg doesn't sound like the highest dose. Most probably the dose will be increased over time at weekly intervals, or kept there depending on how you react to it.

When I was on Zoloft I felt relatively the same, but slept for longer, more often, and was more emotionally numb.
I'll definitely let her know, and i'll keep a very close eye on my heart rates for the time being!
I'm worried about the emotional numbness that comes with Zoloft, but lowkey excited for it if that makes sense? I'd love to not feel everything so intensely haha.

First of all, what you are doing takes some serious courage! Good for you for taking these steps.

There is such variance with side effects of (any) medication, you pretty much won't get a consistent answer through individual accounts. Certainly no way of foretelling what you'll experience, other than to offer probabilities based on trials and studies of the medications in question.

I would suggest keeping somewhat of a medication journal. Take notes about how you're feeling (any improvements or worsening of your diagnoses) and about any side effects you experience (if any) along with how strong or how tolerable/disruptive they feel to you. Then take those notes with you any time you're following up with your psychiatrist. It's good to keep track of starting dates where there have been changes in dosages as well. At least, I've always found this preferable to relying on memory alone.

Again, I know what it is to feel scared about trying medications, so just reading what you've said here, makes me feel proud for you! Wishing you very well with this.
It's honestly really sweet and heartwarming to read your message! I'd never even thought about a medication journal, by the way, so thank you for that! Another excuse to buy a pretty notebook and scribble all over it :D
I appreciate your well wishes, thank you so much for replying to my post!!! <3

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: whywere, Grumble, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I have been on Celexa for 10 years or so and at least for me, the added serotonin makes me feel better.

I have tried Zoloft and Klonopin and both are a no go for me.

Benzos can be VERY hard to get off of and at least with Klonopin that was the reason of no. I also was in a bad car crash and now I take Hydromorphone, so benzos are a huge no.

Sending you lots of hugs, well wishes and the knowledge that you are a wonderful person.

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: annasplight
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Anti-psychotics cause rapid weight gain, raise cholesterol, make you agitated and tired, and be cautious of the shakes.

Most likely, if you complain of insomnia, your psychiatrist will prescribe Abilify or Seroquel. Medicines do not treat your illness; rather, they treat the symptoms. Go to drugs.com and do your research.

There is no cure for mental illness, but medications can help you and back up your diagnosis. The best way to treat mental illness is to change your lifestyle, avoid isolation, and cultivate a strong support system.

Personally, I like Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Prozac, and Adderall because they don't cause any weight gain. Again, it's all trial and error with these medications, and making positive lifestyle changes has a greater impact on your mental health. Advocate for yourself, speak up! Tell people exactly what you need to feel better, and don't give up until you get it.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
E

Edistrying

Jul 22, 2024
I have been taken Citalopram and now I'm with Desvenlafaxina and Quetiapina... I only had náuseas but i advise you that don't look about the side effects because our brain could make a nocebo effect. Just take and trust that everything it's gonna be ok because it will be :) 🤍
If you feel something diferente just tell your doubts to your psiquiatry

• Hugs
T

Trying To Live

Aug 18, 2024
I couldn't tolerate Abilify. It gave me strong side effects. I could no longer sit still, lay down, etc. It felt like I had ADHD. I also didn't feel well mentally.

When I told the psychiatrist after a week or so (I was in the hospital), I had to stop immediately

• Hugs