Does playing video games help in any way with you're suicidal thoughts or mental heath problems?

• Total voters
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
Used to play a lot. Was practically all I did for decades, occasionally interrupted by a tv show or film. Don't regret it at all. Yeah, it's a complete waste of time but also great fun and excellent distraction allowing one to stay sane and asleep at nights. Haven't played for more than a year now. Mainly because my right arm/hand hurts a lot when I do, plus anhedonia and the feeling of being overwhelmed by them, which is ridiculous because I used to prefer demanding games with a lot of depth. Miss the closure I got from it.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: cassie, Lastsauce, MindFrog and 1 other person
R

RepressedMind

Miss the full ability to think
Apr 24, 2020
I like playing playstation vr, it helps to be able to escape this world and transform yourself into another

• Love
Reactions: KickFive
D

Deleted member 19276

Wizard
Jun 28, 2020
From time to time still... But barely can, in terms of playing.
As for it helping, I am not so sure. I'd say it helped in the past.

T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
I call it my suicide tax. Basically, if I don't play something every now and then, then I have no escape. If I have no escape, then I'm offing myself.

It helps in a way that it takes my mind off of some of my problems and makes me feel like I have a purpose in life. Like I'm HF autistic, and to be honest I don't think I can work. My family is mostly the type that will make lies about me and my parents. I have to deal with my sister being on drugs, yelling at us constantly, or causing other problems. I have to deal with the fact any split second I can become homeless if my parents get tired of me. I have to deal with a number of other problems. And simply by playing games it lets me forget about these problems for just a little bit.

• Love
Reactions: voyager, cassie, KickFive and 1 other person
KickFive

KickFive

Eins. Zwei. Drei. Vier....
Nov 23, 2020
I like playing playstation vr, it helps to be able to escape this world and transform yourself into another
PSVR with No Man's Sky has kept me around. Finally got my living ship recently.

Reactions: RepressedMind
R

RepressedMind

Miss the full ability to think
Apr 24, 2020
Have you checked out Pistol Whip or Audica? Pretty fun, if you like Rhythm games. PW over Audica though, IMO.

Oh no I haven't, they seem fun, thank you for the recommendation

P

PDAnnie2610

Waiting for my bus.
Oct 27, 2019
Cooperative gaming these days with my SO. Divinity original sin II, Trine 2 and AOE2. Without him, I doubt I'll play much as my attention and reaction speed is crap. He encourages me to be calmer when I panic during the game sessions.

I honestly wouldn't mind playing with others cooperatively, but my anxiety makes competitive gaming a very bad idea.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: RepressedMind and KickFive