• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

Flick

Jun 26, 2020
I've been trying to deal with a sexual assault from when I was a minor with my therapist
yesterday we explored what may have happened, it got really explicit and painful
Can't shake it out of my head

Feeling pretty awful, but I don't know what to do.
best friend and boyfriend know of what happened back then, but not that I'm dealing with it now.
Been trying to push it down
Just painful anyways

Puffinz

Puffinz

Dec 7, 2020
It's brave of you to talk about it openly with your therapist. I hope you can keep trying to move past it and find happiness.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
A single assault (sexual or otherwise) can have a traumatic effect on someone. The effect can be much greater when done to a child. However, there is a certain degree of resilience in children that allows them to move past strange encounters more easily. When recalling a past event through adult eyes, our reactions can amplify and potentially cause new damage.

It is important to have a context with which to deal with what is recalled to avoid a past tragedy causing even additional harm. For example, seeing the perpetrator as a sad character now unable to inflict any more harm rather than the focus to intensifying anger and resentment. Cultivating anger can be dangerous.

For those who have experienced continuing abuse as a child, consideration should be given to both the damage caused by the abuse as well as the harm that comes from having normal development steps either neglected or even subverted. Some are perplexed to find that their relationships later in life might be hindered by what had happened many years earlier.

The key to getting past these memories is to recognize that as a child, you were not responsible.

Reactions: Charmolypi
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I've never been able to tell a professional what happened and don't think i ever will. I've told 2 close friends and that's it. It will stay locked in that place in the back of my mind. It's been too long to do anything that would protect others.
But every day you let them hurt you again,it's another win for the scum that did this. I know it's not going to be easy by any means,but don't let the fuckers win and ruin more of your life. Their usual tactic is to make you believe you somehow deserved it or wanted it. You KNOW that's completre bullshit. :heart: