SnarkyPuppy2002

SnarkyPuppy2002

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?
Jun 17, 2023
Hey guys, I'm coming on here to ask for some help or advice. I'm feeling extremely depressed because of certain circumstances in my life. I started some new medications back in late June and I think they were working pretty well up until recently, I'm repeatedly finding myself feeling depressed throughout the day or having issues with regulating my emotions. Where do I even begin to fix this?? Obviously I should reach out to people but do I start with my doctors or start seeking a therapist again. I'm confused and overwhelmed. I was doing so good and now I feel like total garbage again. Any advice?

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Well how do you feel about Doctors or Therapists, have you got a good relationship with them? I think if you comfortable with that it's best to speak to a professional.

If you want some advice from a random stranger with no professional qualificiations who knows nothing about you, then personally I'm not a fan of medication, I understand they can help some people but I don't think they are a magic bullet. Have you any idea of the root cause of your depression or does it just seem random? it might help to explore that and also look at alternative therapies.
Some of this stuff is hard work, you have to keep looking until you find something that works for you and understand it's not a smooth road.

I hope that all doesnt sound too patronizing, good luck with whatever you try.

squareminus1

squareminus1

Aug 12, 2023
I think reach out to friends/ familly or even work/colledge mates and a therapist personally, i'll explain why below.
Building a support network of people close to you like friends and familly imperative. Even if they don't seem to help much or may potentially (accidentally usually) make you feel a little sad or anxious they at very least will keep you from doing silly things. This involves slightlt opening up to these people, you don't have to spill all the beans, though it is always better to say too much than not enough, and then just asking them if they have advice or can maybe do things with you. As I said sometimes people can accidentally misunderstand your issue and make you sad but having them be in the loop means that if you ever start cutting people off or outwardly expressing unhelpful emotions they will pick up and make you aware and make sure you dont go into worse place. I have experience with this, several times I have tried to cut myself off from the support group i had and a few times they sent someone to my flat, and would often check in on me lots when i was being less cut off.

Therapy in my opinion can be not but likely won't make you feel any worse. On the flip side if it works well it's amazing, I have ad shit therapists, I at least sort of just felt ignored by them, like I just strained them for an hour and it was a chore for them to try deal with me, but this is not how it feels when you get one that you can have good rapport with. Might take a while to find one but deffinetly worth looking into. Often times colledges/ workplaces can have free helpline/therapy resources, other places to try call is stuff like Samaratins (thats uk idk about other places) which is basically like a mental health advice help line/ suicide hotline, they can point you in the roght direction for help in a much better way than me probably.

Generally doctors haven't helped me much, i wouldn't reccomend unless your situation has physical effects. For instance if you are self harming phone a doctor immediately and explain in, or if like you have anxiety so bad you struggle to breath normally often, or an eating disorder, for all of these things it's really a good idea to phone a doctor. Also if the medication was working for you there is a chance it could be a very good to reconnect with the doctor that gave you them, an increase or even decrease in dosage can make a big difference with how they effect your mood. If you are anything like me though doctors will generally just pop you on some sub-par on-line resource so that, in my opinion, wouldn't be the choice. I have had meds before but like they suggested not drinking on them and I ignored it and often got into really sad dangerous drunk situations (I was on sertraline, it made me really sad while drunk and I think I blacked out fully like 10 times on itwhich normally doesnt happen to me so i assume it was the meds), so thats why meds never worked for me though I have never investigated into ones that work while allowing drinking cause i am really not into doctors.

Anyways this is just my tupence I am not the best source (after all i am on here). Reiterating I'd say reach out to friends, family, coworkers and or colledge staff/ mates to form a good network to keep yourself safe and maybe phoning a mental health advuce hotline for thier guidence, and probably looking into therapy could be useful. A way to potentially find a number for a suicicde hotline/ mental health advice number is to just google suiciced hotline in "area" it might come up on there.
Hopefully any of this helps a bit! Sorry for such a long reply!