there's a lot of words I like but not many come to my mind rn

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Studio84

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
You'll like radius/radii then.
And necropolis/necropoli.
I do like it.
Also, genius/genii, nucleus/nuclei.
Ive recently learned the word "Philistine" , I dont use it when speaking but I think it should be a more well known.
Reminds me of "pristine", adjective -- about something pure, intact, unspoiled, in its original condition. Sounds to me like a female given name. Pristine Crowford. Pristine Adelaide. Pristine Silverfox.
Rapture- it's a name of a fictional underwater city from the game Bioshock
I keep confusing rapture and rupture, as I do regularly confuse words that look and sound similar but extremely differ in meaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Callie Arcale, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and nicetomeetu
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
Discombobulated (confused and disconcerted)

• Love
Reactions: justsad&done, Good4Nothing, painoflife and 2 others
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
Nincompoop (idiot)

• Love
Reactions: justsad&done, 262653, shadowchaser and 1 other person
shadowchaser

shadowchaser

Aug 1, 2019
I have so many :) Here are some:
- Hiraeth
- Nostalgia
- Moonscape
- Saudade
- Petrichor

Reactions: Studio84
L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
Fuck, my favorite word is fuck. Sorry to be juvenile lol

• Love
Reactions: nora., Good4Nothing and Studio84
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Copacetic:
Adj. Very Satisfactory

• Love
Reactions: Studio84, 262653 and Good4Nothing
painoflife

painoflife

Arcanist
Jul 27, 2019
Ragamuffin always made me giggle

• Love
Reactions: NodusTollens, Studio84, signifying nothing and 1 other person
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
Giggettey giggettey goo!

Reactions: Studio84 and NodusTollens
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Defenestration

• Love
Reactions: Callie Arcale, Studio84 and 262653
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Fuck, my favorite word is fuck. Sorry to be juvenile lol
If you have Netflix, you may be interested in the comedy mini doc-series called, the History of Swear Words. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lost_soul83

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Here's my currently favorite Dutch word: zonnebloemolie. I love to pronounce it as "zonneblomoli". It means sunflower oil. I read the name in the ingredient list of some peanut butter. There was even no need to visit the translator. Zonne + bloem + olie. Sounds like: Sonne (Sun in German) + bloom + oil, which makes perfect sense.

• Love
Reactions: NodusTollens
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
The word 'Fart' always makes me snigger, but then l always have been a immature pipsqueak :-)

nora.

nora.

Be Free
Jan 2, 2021
Death. the thing ive been longing for years.

• Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Here's my currently favorite Dutch word: zonnebloemolie. I love to pronounce it as "zonneblomoli". It means sunflower oil. I read the name in the ingredient list of some peanut butter. There was even no need to visit the translator. Zonne + bloem + olie. Sounds like: Sonne (Sun in German) + bloom + oil, which makes perfect sense.
Reminds me of the first time I heard "Augenlider," in the Rammstein song called Mein Herz Brennt, as a teen.

Sounded bad ass, but it means eyelids.
I couldn't help but laugh.

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
@UnaccompaniedJourney Augenlider/eyelids. Reminds me of augur, auspex. They're somewhat related to sightseeing.

Laugh because it's a badass song with definitely-not-badass name?

I remember metal album called Orchid, by Opeth. It also has very peaceful cover.

Or you mean words that sound badass but have non-badass meaning?
I think Nordic languages have a lot of them. I can think of only one right now, and it's in Russian. Зверобой. (I think hypericum in English?)
The literal translation in English would be something like "beast slayer" or "beast bane". It's some kind of plant, and I used make tea from it.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
"Afterlife. "
I just find it amazing (even though I believe in eternal nothingness.)

NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
@UnaccompaniedJourney Augenlider/eyelids. Reminds me of augur, auspex. They're somewhat related to sightseeing.

Laugh because it's a badass song with definitely-not-badass name?

I remember metal album called Orchid, by Opeth. It also has very peaceful cover.

Or you mean words that sound badass but have non-badass meaning?
I think Nordic languages have a lot of them. I can think of only one right now, and it's in Russian. Зверобой. (I think hypericum in English?)
The literal translation in English would be something like "beast slayer" or "beast bane". It's some kind of plant, and I used make tea from it.
Oh, that's an interesting association, I didn't know whothat was & had to look it up.

The latter, I laughed at myself. I was so determined it was a bad sounding word, only to be let down. :ahhha:
& with a name that translates into beast slayer, it's definitely unexpected that it's a plant used in yea.

Mhmm. Can't go wrong with flowers. :)

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Oh, that's an interesting association, I didn't know whothat was & had to look it up.
Sometimes I check the etymology of words at https://www.etymonline.com/. There are so many words that have something together with other words, which allows for easier remembering bc it brings connectivity, association. And some words are just a conjunction of other words.

Like hypoglycemia. Hypo (low/under) + glyc (something about sugar, glucose) + emia (something about blood). You could guess it's about low sugar levels in blood. Without knowing what the whole word means, one can intuit the meaning by knowing something about its constituent parts.

A few words with hypo-: hypothermia would be something about low temperature (hypo + thermal), and hypothalamus is some part of the brain, which is, not coincidentally (co + incident), located just a little below thalamus. Btw, etymonline refers to "thalamus" as "inner chamber". Now, I don't know if that's the true background of the word, but it's good way of thinking about it. Thalamus is located somewhere deep deep in the middle of the brain. Inner chamber. I also think of the throne room.

Or reincarnation. Re (back, again) + in (in, duh) + carn (flesh, as carnal pleasures) + tion (noun formating suffix, I guess). Process of returning in flesh, or state of being returned in flesh.

Reactions: Studio84 and NodusTollens
J

justsad&done

Visionary
Nov 11, 2020
serendipity

When I was a little kid, we used to have Serendipity Day at my school. And it was the best day.

• Love
Reactions: signifying nothing, Studio84 and 262653
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
愛 because it is reserved for very serious circumstances, if you want to tell someone you truly love them, leaps and bounds above normal affection, where you would say 好きだ
English does not have this level of nuance for some words and phrases, I could not think of an equivalent in English except maybe true love/devotion.

• Love
Reactions: Ame, Studio84 and lost_soul83
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
Cherish

Reactions: Studio84 and lost_soul83
L I F E T O L O S E

L I F E T O L O S E

only you can stop the evil
Sep 18, 2020
n-word and c-word....

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Try to say that one.

• Love
Reactions: 262653
W

WaitingForTheBusInTh

Student
Nov 18, 2020
Miasma. Learned it from watching Inuyasha as a kid

• Love
Reactions: W’ren, Random, 262653 and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Try to say that one.
Pneumono ultra microscopic silico volcano coniosis

Divide and conquer :devil:

I also heard miasmata, from Skyrim Requiem. Some dictionaries say it's a plural form. Maybe to describe different miasma, or miasma happening in different places at different times.

• Love
Reactions: newave3