W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I posted this as a comment somewhere else, but I thought there should be a discussion.

It worries me that people aren't really questioning completely unverified stories about SN. There are a few different motivations someone could have for making stuff up, but one I thought of was that it might give more people a push towards trying it and then there would be more information about it, if lots of people did that it would seem like there was more of a review of it. Someone could be trolling out of boredom/whatever motivates someone to do that.

What do you think?

Reactions: ReleaseMe, Jen Erik, Cookiedough8956 and 1 other person
Can'tStandAnymore

Can'tStandAnymore

Custom title
Mar 16, 2019
It worries me too. People are mentioning that they didn't feel much disturbing pain but I'm still unsure if I need a benzo for sn protocol.

Jayxtri

Jayxtri

Student
Mar 6, 2019
I am sure some are doing so.The lack of proper research and evidence is really a let down with SN.

Reactions: Walilamdzi and mattwitt
Can'tStandAnymore

Can'tStandAnymore

Custom title
Mar 16, 2019
This is not the only suicide forum ever existed. I'm sure there must be a lot more reports about SN. It's easy and peaceful method(?). It must have already been discussed on the other communities like "alt.suicide.holiday".

L

Longman

Student
Jan 9, 2019
The lack of proper research and evidence is really a let down with SN.
Several medical reports of unlethal SN poisoning are available here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed (make request like "sodium nitrite methemoglobinemia"/"sodium nitrite poisoning" or similar). I've read some reports and found nothing about severe headache/pain. All these reports were made by professionals for professionals, so information there should be reliable.

W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
@Longman Hey, that's useful thanks. Still mentions headache though, e.g.

Abstract
We present two patients who were treated for an intentional overdose of sodium nitrite. When ingested sodium nitrite leads to severe methaemoglobinaemia, resulting in severe hypoxia (as methaemoglobin does not transport oxygen), vasodilation and hypotension. Symptoms include cyanosis, headache, nausea, convulsions, coma and death. When measured by pulse oximetry, patients with a sodium nitrite intoxication and severe methaemoglobinaemia generally have an oxygen saturation of around 85%. This value is unreliable as the oxygen content of the blood is often extremely low - this can be confirmed by arterial blood gas analysis. Treatment of sodium nitrite intoxication consists of intravenous administration of methylthioninium chloride 1-2 mg/kg. Methylthioninium chloride converts the methaemoglobin back to haemoglobin. Due to the pharmacokinetics of methylthioninium chloride and sodium nitrite, a rebound effect is not to be expected. The only contra-indication for methylthioninium chloride is glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, which is extremely rare in the Netherlands.

Last edited: