chopinkms

chopinkms

i'm not alone anymore
Mar 25, 2020
there's this really interesting theory that a character called Kirillov in Fyodor Dostoevsky's book 'demons' (or 'devils') believes in, which (simplified) is the idea that
TLDR: "if you can kill yourself out of the blue without hesitation in any form, you will become (a) god".

I find this, of course not something one should do as CTB is normally a long process where the person has no other solution and has come to the very upsetting conclusion where they believe it's their only answer etc.

however, I like philosophy and debate so I'd like to verbally entertain this theory by explaining it more.

Basically, Kirillov is in the revolution so he has decided that he's ready to die for his cause at any moment by his own hand (S), which would make his death a sacrifice to a great cause like a Christ figure and almost a catalyst to show everybody else man in its true 'freedom', underneath this he already had the theory to begin with.
its almost like a matrix thing, like tapping out of the system 'knowing' you're not leaving anything behind, the way you would pull out a plug from a plug socket absentmindedly, and by leaving the 'matrix' you'd go to the next level which hypothetically could grant more power therefore becoming 'God'; I find that a really interesting yet absurd theory by the character.

Kirillov also says something related to this, "God is the pain of the fear of death". - Kirillov doesn't believe in God, however he believes in the necessity of God and ties this by pretty much saying that if god doesn't exist then anything is possible and if that is the case then man killing themselves is the highest act of 'self-will' (or his own 'freedom') which will transcend a humanoid state resulting in becoming maybe not a god but a godlike presence as they're technically no longer human.

very very interesting, I love how dostoevsky's mind works and how he wrote his characters. Obviously don't try this out(??) but I thought it'd be cool to let this sit here.

Reactions: Mendex, charlottewilts, VIBRITANNIA and 1 other person