gianni rage

gianni rage

Oct 23, 2020
I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER OF SS for a number of years, and am greatly moved by what I read here. Nonetheless, I almost never post (I have reasons for this that have nothing to do with the site) and I should.

I write a great deal about these issues on other social media sites---and sometimes find myself under attack, and on more than one occasion reported, even though I express myself in generalities and do my best never to "compromise" anyone, or put them in a troubling or complicated position. Here is something I wrote a few months back. Perhaps it may interest some of the members here, and I always appreciate feedback.
It is a bit lengthy, because the subject and themes are not light, facile things....and I apologize in advance about my intermittent use of caps: my style has always been heavily influenced by a "spoken word" idiom---I know some people find it annoying or difficult to read----some folks feel like I am "shouting" at them, which I find a little absurd. I also make liberal use of expletives at times, depending on the forum....again, I apologize, and I hope this is not an impediment.
It was written over the summer.

IT FUCKING INFURIATES ME
I HAVE SAID THIS BEFORE, BUT IT BEARS REPEATING.
IT BEARS ENDLESS REPETITION.
THAT IF THIS WAS THE NETHERLANDS---OR BELGIUM OR SWITZERLAND---
I COULD HAVE A CONVERSATION THIS VERY DAY WITH EXTREMELY WELL-EDUCATED, ESTEEMED CLINICIANS, MEN AND WOMEN OF MEDICINE AND SCIENCE WHO ARE AS ERUDITE, COMPETENT AND SKILLED AS ANY HERE, IF NOT MORE.... IN WHICH I COULD HEAR THEM SAY:
"WE HAVE DONE JUST ABOUT ALL THERE IS WE CAN DO FOR YOU. WE HAVE PRETTY MUCH EXHAUSTED ALL OF THE FEASIBLE AND CURRENT TREATMENTS WHICH ARE KNOWN TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN REGARDS TO YOUR DISORDER...
THE FACT THAT NONE HAVE REALLY WORKED SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISING: THIS IS WHAT A SERIOUS DIAGNOSIS OF TREATMENT- RESISTANT, CHRONIC MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER/ ATYPICAL SUPER-DYSTHYMIA MEANS, UNFORTUNATELY...
IN SPITE OF THESE LOUSY RESULTS, WE CAN CONTINUE THIS PATH, MAYBE ADJUST THIS OR THAT, APPROACH IT PRAGMATICALLY/SYMPTOMATICALLY AND COMPLETELY IGNORE THE BIG PICTURE AND URGE YOU TO DO THE SAME...AND TRY AND KEEP YOU ALIVE...
OF COURSE, THE QUALITY OF THAT LIFE WILL BE FAR BELOW WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU...YOU WILL CONTINUE TO EVERY DAY WAKE UP AND FACE CIRCUMSTANCES THAT YOU FIND HUMILIATING, SAD, HORRIBLY POINTLESS AND PROGRESSIVELY WORSE....(PERCEPTIONS YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE A SOUND AND VALID CASE FOR, ONE THAT IS THE RESULT OF MANY MANY YEARS OF OBSERVATION, WITH CONCLUSIONS WE RECOGNIZE AS REAL AND SANE....)
YES, YOU CAN HAVE THIS KIND OF LIFE
WE CAN DO THIS. NOT MUCH MORE, BUT DEFINITELY THIS.
YES.
OR, WE CAN LOOK AT THE OTHER OPTION, THE ONE THAT YOU FIND THE MOST SENSIBLE AND EFFECTIVE, WHICH YOU HAVE ALSO SPENT MANY, MANY YEARS WEIGHING, REFLECTING ON AND DECONSTRUCTING....AND WHICH DOES HAVE A POWERFUL LOGIC ABOUT IT, IF ONE APPROACHES THE QUESTION OBJECTIVELY AND UNEMOTIONALLY.
WE CAN PROVIDE PERMANENT SURCEASE FROM THIS TERRIBLE DESPAIR. AND IT WILL BE A PEACEFUL, EASEFUL, EFFECTIVE CONCLUSION, WHERE ALL STEPS ARE TAKEN TO REDUCE YOUR ANXIETIES AND FEARS, AND WHERE THE ATTITUDES AND FEELINGS OF ANY SURVIVORS ARE CALMLY AND CAUTIOUSLY ADDRESSED, ELIMINATING ANY BURDEN OF GUILT WHICH MIGHT MAKE YOUR LAST MOMENTS DIFFICULT AND UNPLEASANT....
NOW, WE DO NOT URGE YOU TO TAKE THIS OPTION;
AS DOCTORS WE URGE YOU TO CHOOSE LIFE.
BUT WE ABSOLUTELY RESPECT AND ACCEPT A DECISION TO DO OTHERWISE...WE KNOW IT IS NOT A CHOICE YOU HAVE MADE LIGHTLY AND WITHOUT GREAT CIRCUMSPECTION, WE ACKNOWLEDGE THIS AND COUNTENANCE ITS VALIDITY..."
But in this country?
Such a conversation is forbidden.
Such a notion is absolutely anathema.--even the hypothetical debate is red-flagged as "irresponsible" and "dangerous"
AND WHY?
LET US BREAK IT DOWN...

1) BECAUSE WE ARE ALL SO FUCKING AFRAID OF DEATH THAT WE LABEL ONE WHO IS NOT AS "SICK"

2) BECAUSE WE ARE INCAPABLE OF DEALING WITH LOSS---AND , IN THIS SOLIPSISTIC SOCIETY, TOLD THAT WE DO NOT HAVE TO IF WE CAN AVOID IT--even if it means legally prohibiting sane, intelligent adults from leaving the world and our lives forever, if we feel they "should" remain there...

3) BECAUSE WE HAVE CONVINCED OURSELVES THAT OUR SOCIETY, WITH ALL OF ITS FLAWS, IS STILL THE BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS (OR AT LEAST A GREAT PLACE TO BE) and anyone who is incapable of recognizing this or making a place for themselves in I, are sick, blind or selfish.

4)BECAUSE THE VARIOUS WEBS OF SUPERSTITION, HYSTERIA AND ARCHAIC BLIND TRADITION CALLED "RELIGIOUS BELIEF", MOST (MORE-OR-LESS )ASCRIBE TO IN THIS COUNTRY, UNIFORMLY CHARACTERIZE THE AMORPHOUS ABSTRACTION KNOWN AS "LIFE" AS SOMETHING "SACRED" AND "INVIOLATE", a "gift" from some supernatural entity or agency...Therefore, those who end lives---even their own--- are sinful, evil, or at the very least, "ungrateful"...(Unless, of course, the lives ended belong to those who have been branded dangerous criminals or foreign enemies. These lives can be justifiably snuffed out)

OF COURSE, ONE WHO IS SO SICK, SELFISH OR EVIL THAT THEY PERSIST IN A DESIRE TO END THEIR LIVES, in spite of all correctives and preventives, just may accomplish this, if determined enough...In attempting this, they will find themselves abandoned, isolated, unaided and alone, forced to carry out the act in a state of fear, shame or guilt, risking potential calamity which might leave them in far worse circumstances...This, however, many believe is only what is deserved, and a fitting punishment...
(Ironically, one who is tragically damaged by a failed attempt, subsequently often becomes a burden and trial so great to their loved-ones, that those same intimates, who had been once so committed to keeping the sufferer in the world, end up secretly wishing that the self-murder attempt had succeeded...)
AND IF SUCH A HORRIBLE ACT IS, ULTIMATELY, SUCCESSFUL, ANY POSSIBLE SURVIVORS LEFT BEHIND are given the oppurtunity to deal with their loss with the help of grief counsllers and therapists, various trained, specialized clinicians, who will tell them that it is natural, normal and inevitable that this "unthinkable" tragedy will dominate and define their lives; who will "help" them try to understand this wretched, destructive, ultimately mysterious thing that was perpretrated on THEM...They will examine how "ANGRY THEY ARE AT HIM/HER FOR DOING THIS TO THEM" and how "GUILTY THEY FEEL THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN" and perhaps "COULD HAVE STOPPED IT", and perseverate on how "confusing and complicated" it all is... AND THEY CAN GO TO "SUPPORT" GROUPS AND THEY CAN READ BOOKS AND WATCH documentaries and talk shows where "authorities" on the subject affirm again and again just how "SELFISH" the act was, how alright it is to see it as "the most selfish thing" a person can do, if this eases the "healing" process...The suicide will be apprehended as the work of a mind that was "utterly self-centered" and at the same time, somehow COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL AND IMPAIRED...
THEY CAN ALSO TURN TO the succor of "faith", and read "holy" books of "divinely" inspired words that offer comfort on one page, and on the next, TELL THEM THE ONE THEY LOST HAS COMMITTED AN ACT WHICH IS "ABHORRENT IN THE EYES OF" GOD,THE LORD, JEHOVA, JESUS, ALLAH, VISHNU, or the vague, ineffable balanced energies of the Universe which the monstrously selfish lost one will ultimately have to pay for in some metaphysical fashion or another...."
BY CONTRAST, IN THE AFOREMENTIONED COUNTRIES, THERE WOULD BE COUNSELING AND THERAPIES DESIGNED TO HELP THE SURVIVORS ACCEPT THEIR LOVED ONE'S DECISION---Where the loss would be demystified and defetishized, and while those in mourning have every right to their grief, IT IS ULTIMATELY SELFISH TO FORCE ANYONE TO STAY IN THE WORLD AGAINST THEIR WILL...
BUT OUR SOCIETY IS NOT LIKE THAT....WE ARE FUCKING TERRIFIED OF DEATH AND WANT EVERYONE TO PAY THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THAT FEAR....OR WE ARE AFRAID OF ALL-POWERFUL IMAGINARY FRIENDS WHO TELL US WHAT IS "RIGHT" AND "WRONG"---AND GODDAMMIT, EVERYONE ELSE HAD BETTER HEED THEM AS WELL...
A SOCIETY THAT WILL TELL SOMEONE EVERY DAY IN A MILLION WAYS JUST HOW PERMANENTLY DEFICIENT AND INVALID THEIR LIVES ARE, HOW MUCH THEY DESERVE TO BE SUCH STRAIGHTS AND JUST HOW ASHAMED THEY SHOULD FEEL OF THEIR FAILURES....BUT THEN CRUELLY DENY THEM THE OPPORTUNITY TO RESOLVE IT.
AND WE SEND THEM TO THERAPISTS WHO DISINGENUOUSLY ASK "BUT WHY DO YOU FEEL THIS WAY ABOUT YOUR SITUATION? AND SAY "YOU REALLY NEED TO GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK AND FORGET ABOUT THE REALITY OF BEING ASSAULTED FROM EVERY QUARTER WITH MESSAGES AND WORDS AND DIFFICULTIES REMINDING YOU OF JUST HOW DEFEATED YOU ARE....HOW IRRELEVENT AND MEANINGLESS YOU SHOULD FEEL...JUST IGNORE IT AND TAKE THIS PILL AND CONTINUE IN SHAME AND MORTIFICATION SO THAT YOUR INTIMATES WILL NOT HAVE TO SUFFER THE STING OF A LOSS., AND WE CAN FEEL THAT THIS THERAPY HAS BEEN "EFFECTIVE"....
A SOCIETY WHERE SOMEONE RUSHES TO REPORT OR DENOUNCE ANYONE WHO HAS RATIONALLY AND INTELLIGENTLY PRESENTED A POWERFUL CASE TO ARTICULATE THEIR POSITION ON WHETHER OR NOT THEY SHOULD CONTINUE....RAT THEM OUT LIKE THEY ARE MISCREANTS IN NEED OF CORRECTION...
I SWEAR, IF I WAS YOUNGER, AND STILL HAD ANY DRIVE OR STAMINA OR INCLINATION TO DO SOMETHING WITH MY LIFE, I WOULD BECOME AN ACTIVIST WHO FIGHTS ON EVERY FRONT TO GET THE FUCKING CHURCHES, THE FUCKING IMAGINARY FRIENDS IN THE SKY, THE FUCKING OPRAHS AND EMOTION MONGERS AND GRIEF PROFESSIONALAS AWAY FROM THE ENTIRE DISCUSSION....IF IT WERE STILL POSSIBLE FOR ME TO THINK IN TERMS OF ANY FUTURE, I WOULD WOULD DEVOTE MYSELF TO THIS. EVEN IF THERE WAS LITTLE CHANCE OF PROGRESS AND VICTORIES WERE SCANT-BECAUSE I FIND THIS MEDDLING TO BE ONE OF THE MOST DESPICABLE THINGS IN OUR SOCIETY...
AND THE PRODUCT OF THIS MEDDLING TO BE UTTERLY INHUMANE AND CRIMINALLY CALLOUS. THIS LAST I CAN ATTEST PERSONALLY TO...
BUT OF COURSE I HAVE NO SENSE OF THE FUTURE, NOT EVEN A SENSE OF TOMORROW....SOMETHING I AM FORCED TO DEAL WITH, PRACTICALLY EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY, IN SPITE OF HOW GROTESQUE AND REVOLTING...UNTIL MY HEART GIVES OUT, OR SOME CANCER SLOWLY DEVOURS MY ORGANS, OR I STUMBLE IN FRONT OF A TRUCK IN A GERIATRIC HAZE...THESE THINGS ARE ACCEPTABLE AND PERMITTED., AND ANY EXPEDITIOUS EFFORTS ARE UTTERLY PROSCRIBED...AND WHY?
" ..Oh...Because we ... we....WE would MISS you!"

fucking deal with it you motherfucking narcisists.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Anxieyote, Traveler VII, leeloosnow and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I find it horrifying how we live in such a world which tries to force people to suffer and is so focused on prolonging people's misery rather than respecting their decision to leave a life that they never asked for.
I personally see no benefit to enduring this life when instead I could be peacefully not existing, for many people life could never be worth living and this fact should be accepted rather than assuming that staying alive for as long as possible is the best thing for absolutely everyone regardless of their life circumstances.
We will all die anyway, it's our fate as humans which is simply inevitable for us so there really could be nothing wrong with someone choosing to take control and end their suffering when the time feels right. But unfortunately there are so many ignorant and delusional people who view suicide as being worse than a lifetime filled with pain.

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
This subforum is for suggestions relating to the board itself - features and tweaks that users would like to see implemented.

But yes, broadly speaking, of course it would be nice if we were given the option to exit when it becomes apparent nothing more can be done. With that said, I have lived in the Netherlands and Belgium, and it's not all that easy to be approved for euthanasia. Although we hear of some people who slip through the cracks and get "lucky" it's still typically only reserved for those with terminal illnesses like late-stage cancer or ALS. You'd have to be a pretty remarkable case to be approved for it on a mental health basis.

What strikes me about these countries is how pragmatic they are. They're oddly direct about things like death and there isn't much room for sentimentality. Sometimes I almost think they take it a bit too far. I remember when my uncle developed terminal cancer, the first thing out of his wife's mouth was "well, we should get the kitchen done soon then." I can't really decide if I find that neat, or mercenary.

Anyway, overall, yes, generally a good message. But fwiw I do find the caps a bit grating. It's somehow more difficult to read that way too.

Reactions: Ringo and Skathon
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
One of the reasons why this forum exists is the complete and total ban of assisted suicide in pretty much all countries on this planet and the horrible social stigma on topics related to mental health and suicide. It turns out, this forum provides space to discuss very important matters regarding individual autonomy and simply banning it from the surface isn't working. Duh.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: katagiri83, Skathon, leeloosnow and 2 others