• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

9BBN

9BBN

Heaven, send Hell away
Mar 29, 2021
I've noticed that when I'm sad I like to listen to sad songs, and vice versa when I'm happy. My theory is that music creates a feedback loop of your emotions.

The other day I was feeling down, but I had important stuff to do by a deadline, so I tried an experiment. I listened to more upbeat music, despite my preferences, and it was able to carry me through the day. I mean, it didn't fix my life, but it got me through the day, and I finished the work I needed to do. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this?

• Hugs
Reactions: Rhaiyne and whywere
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
There is a saying, "Music hath charms to sooth the savage breast". This means that someone who is so agitated that they are breathing heavy can be calmed down by soothing music.

Patriotism can be stirred by marching music. It has been observed that old people can be roused by music from their childhood.

There is a vast wealth of music from the past that is often unknown to young people today that could be a significant resource for mood management.

Reactions: 9BBN
settheory

settheory

Bundle of perceptions
Jul 29, 2021
Interesting, but it is a little bit different for me. Sometimes i feel like highly emotional music makes me feel sadder, even supposedly happy music, but more emotionally neutral (less emotional) music makes me feel a bit better. Though i don't always feel that way, sometimes any music satisfies me, sometimes i am completely numb to any music.

Reactions: 9BBN
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
HI! Yes to your question. I am a very emotional person with BPD, so I go happy to sad and back in milliseconds. I have tried basically what you mentioned @9BBN since 1974. When I am in a lousy mood I will listen to some EDM, my favorite music and it makes me not only feel better and I can get things done.

I have to try and stay away from music that really brings me down and it can, for real, give me ctb thoughts. I have always worn my heart on my sleeve and this aspect probably does not help matters at all.

That was a excellent question as i have never really thought about the effects of music on my mental outlook.

THANK YOU so much! You are a very thoughtful, kind and caring soul. I send you lots of hugs, smiles and bright blue sunny skies.

Walter

• Love
Reactions: Rhaiyne and 9BBN
M

mossyfox

Student
Aug 4, 2021
Yes. I have YouTube premium (music) that gets me through so much shit. It's algorithm is the best the more you like and dislike songs. My music "likes" are extremely diverse. I spend a lot of time separating them out into playlists based on moods I will be in, need to be in or time periods of my life I listened to that selection of songs. YouTube finds you the most obscure and unknown artists to listen to, who sometimes have under a 1,000 subscribers and are just starting out but have fucking awesome music. I have found such amazing stuff to listen to this way. I don't know where I would be right now without it.

Also, YouTube's algorithm does a decent job of figuring out your moods too. It adjust it's 'up next' as your listening if you skip a bunch of songs, even when you liked them already. It also recognizes if you listen to different songs in mornings or evenings and makes automatic mixes for that. I don't know, I love that shit so much.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Rhaiyne and 9BBN
Rhaiyne

Rhaiyne

"To be - or not to be.... That is the question"
Jul 4, 2021
Yes... yes.... music is amazing... it can lift my mood... lower my mood... fill me with compassion... or sometimes just make me downright rebellious where I would like to regress to younger years... I used to go raving a lot in my younger day... I love it... my son is just starting out as a dj... and it can make me want to lose myself in the sound and vibrations of music... sometimes I like to just sit and feel the music....

• Love
Reactions: 9BBN and whywere