BackpackBones

BackpackBones

Nov 1, 2023
Ok I know it sounds crazy, but I constantly find myself longing for someone with depression. I really appreciate individuals who are able to be vulnerable, and I have so much respect for those who carry on despite feeling so tired. I find myself wishing I could be that motivation in someone's life, and I feel like it would make the recovery process a whole lot better.

Out of all the people I've dated, no one has really clicked this box for me. I've never really related to anyone throughout my relationships and in trying to do so I found myself twisting and bending into something I'm not. I find that go-lucky day to day happiness so unsustainable.

Any ideas how I can get me someone with depression?

• Hugs
Reactions: MeltingBrain, NumbItAll, SmollMushroom and 1 other person
Left

Left

4 Dead 3 please release.
Oct 13, 2023
Seems like the average person in their 20s has depression nowadays.

• Informative
  • Yay!
Reactions: SmollMushroom, Forever Sleep, QteStimBnnuy and 4 others
higherthanthesun

higherthanthesun

Dead
Nov 9, 2023
I totally get that, this forum would probably be the best place to find someone with depression XD (sorry I know I shouldn't joke about that)

• Yay!
Reactions: just_a_guy and BackpackBones
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
She'd probably be suffering from that anyway.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
I don't think it's appealing to date someone with depression, hence most of us being alone. I've been with someone who struggled with depression and it's not fun

Reactions: Celerity
T

ThisUnrest

Seeking personal sovereignty
Aug 15, 2023
Of course I would. Who could understand me if they werent depressed themselves?

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Unrelated but your pfp is such a mood

Reactions: Rocinante and QteStimBnnuy
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
You seem like you're coming from a good place so best of luck in finding someone! But I would just say, please be careful not to romanticize depression for both you and your potential partner's sake

Like, if they did end up recovering, would you still feel the same about them? Are you helping someone through depression because you care about them, or do you care about someone because they're depressed? (This is just my personal feelings, but I hate when people approach me with the intention of "saving me" or "fixing me")

No hate to you, genuinely… I just think it's something worth thinking about

• Hugs
Reactions: fwompie, BackpackBones and Life_and_Death
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
i feel the same, i desperately crave a connection with someone who understands my struggles on a deeper level. at this point, it's not even feasible for me to have a relationship (or even friendship) with someone who's "normal" and "happy," as i would have no choice but to fake being okay to avoid bringing them down with me. i've heard countless people express how exhausting having a close friend/partner/family member with mental illness is, and i agree. however, this sentiment has caused me to stop opening up completely.

anyways, a relationship was never an option for me, so it doesn't matter. i can't even take care of myself.

Serial Experi Pain

Serial Experi Pain

I hate me more :P
Sep 12, 2023
Just about each and every time in my life I have overcome CTBing from being lonely just to get to where I'm comfortable alone, someone has come along and made me glad that I wasn't alone anymore... only to make me wish I had stayed alone in order to avoid the pain of abandonment.

Depending on the personal issues or what causes the depression for each individual, it could be fatal for one or both if it falls apart. Could be the breaking point.
It's usually just one more thing to end up depressed about after a little while/at some point. Oh, how I wish it weren't... but, it so often is.

Reactions: Life_and_Death
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I used to think only another depressed person could understand me, but I also think depression is a state of self-absorption. Not sure there's room for a relationship with that.

Just to be clear - I'm not talking about narcissistic self-absorption, but when you are in a lot of pain, you naturally focus more on yourself.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes, I thought we'd have more in common that way. It would definitely piss me off to date an optimist.

How to find someone though? I guess- just talk to them I guess. It will probably come across if they are happy or not.

SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023
Me personally no.
I've been depressed for most of my life now and I've always been attracted by cheerful, generally happy people. And usually staying around them helped my mental health.
I have also met other depressed people in the past, and I generally found no interest in them.
One of them was even major depressed. And I mean it.
He always looked completely detached from his surroundings. Absent. He stared at the void in front of him most of the time. Truly saddening...