Britvik

Britvik

Pro-choice
Mar 1, 2022
Throughout human history there have been brilliant orators capable of moving the emotions and changing minds, for better or worse. Speeches have changed the course of history. They've united and divided, amused and inspired, inflamed and consoled, and so on. Some continue to live on, far beyond those who delivered them.

So, have any moved you? And, why? It doesn't have to be a famous speech, it could be one you heard at a wedding, a funeral, a graduation or birthday party. What made it memorable?

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
David Foster Wallace had a great commencement speech. This is water. This was one of the first times I have listened to his texts. SInce then I am kind of an addict concerning his texts.

• Love
Reactions: Britvik and Cathy Ames
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I remember being in an assembly for a guest speaker at school. I can't remember what they talked about, but I remember being moved by it. And then I thought about how it won't matter. I looked around at all the kids and thought we're going to care... For now. And then in about a week it will be like it never happened.... i watched it time and time again, like everything in life people talk about it for a couple weeks and then it's forgotten.

Reactions: Britvik
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022

(I'M SORRY)

• Yay!
Reactions: Britvik
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
Does learning how to give speeches/speak in front of an audience count from looking at speeches count ?

Britvik

Britvik

Pro-choice
Mar 1, 2022
David Foster Wallace had a great commencement speech. This is water. This was one of the first times I have listened to his texts. SInce then I am kind of an addict concerning his texts.

I was hoping I might be introduced to some brilliant speeches. And in the very first reply, you've introduced me to this gem! Thank you! 😊
I remember being in an assembly for a guest speaker at school. I can't remember what they talked about, but I remember being moved by it. And then I thought about how it won't matter. I looked around at all the kids and thought we're going to care... For now. And then in about a week it will be like it never happened.... i watched it time and time again, like everything in life people talk about it for a couple weeks and then it's forgotten.

Yes, we have short memories sometimes. Life takes over and the daily grind continues. However, a good speech gives some much needed respite from the drudgery, wouldn't you say?
Does learning how to give speeches/speak in front of an audience count from looking at speeches count ?

I think we mostly learn from a combination of observation and practice, don't we? I bet none of the great speeches remembered through the years were delivered by rookies.

Last edited: