N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have been in a lot of clinics. I know a certain clinic very well. And I think the words they use depend on the doctors there. These euphisms I name are not consensus in psychiatry. (I assume). It is rather a specific usage of the doctors there and how they handled mental illness and suicidality.

By the way something as always totally unrelated. When I thought about euphisms it reminded of a euphemism I used as a teenager. I was very violently raised with a lot of physical abuse. Before I realized it screwed my whole life and nervous system I used euphemisms to explain me this violent education and even imagined advantages of it. (Well the optimism did not last long.) I called my own education Prussian. As many people know I live in Germany. We talked a lot about Prussia in history class and Bismark fascinated me. I was a conservative at this time. Now I think he is kind of overrated but at that time I liked him. Ironically I read online that Bismarck might have been bipolar himself. Though many people pretend such diagnoses for public figures. You can read the same about Churchill. I did not figure out the truth but maybe that is impossible anyway.

So back to the main topic. I know some therapists in the clinic very well. I think one therapist even changed their workplace because she worried too much about my fate. These people know (knew) that I am suicidal for a very long time and that I assume my life will end by suicide. If you are longterm suicidal and not acute suicidal they cannot do much against that. She looked pretty pretty bad the last day I met her. She looked like she barely slept over several months. Well at least the people in this forum have the stomach to endure my misery. This should not sound pejorative I liked her a lot. But it is kind of true that if the psychiatry gives up on you the society does not offer you a lot. So I searched other ways to cope with my pain. But the story is far more complicated than that but I am rambling. Lol.

They had some codes in that clinic. A catastrophe was synonymous with suicide. When a catastrophe happened a suicide happened. I just realize isn't this rather a substitution than a euphism? I don't care I wasted too much energy in this thread I won't change it at this point. The therapist there called people who committed suicide crazy/insane. This was sort of pejorative. I was slightly offended. He told me he cannot understand suicidal people they seem so irrational to him. I had the feeling he was overburdended by a patient that has several years persistent and serious suicidal thoughts.

There were other codes. For people who are very smart. "They fit to attend university". This was really a sentence which was used exactly in this wording. (slightly changed through translation.) It was kind of a standard phrase. Those codes were used several times. Despite the fact it was sometimes intricate and cumbersome. My personal theory is the therapists tried to categorize their clients. To find a scheme or pattern how to treat them. Drug addicts were looked down on at this clinc. Though I don't know their codes for them maybe they had none.

Sadly these are only a few standard phrases. In other clinics I did not know the staff well enough to figure them out. Oh I just remind myself of one. Also at the clinic I talked prior about. Side effects of medication like for example gain of weight or sexual issues were called secondary and marginal. And I think there were people who gained weight like 30 kilograms. I could elaborate on that but I think noone is interested on that. I think those people should no be surprised that patients don't feel taken serious with such a code. However I think only one therapist used this wording and not the whole staff.

Well. What do you think about it? Have you ever had similar experiences?

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
Professor K

Professor K

your eyes vacant and stained
Feb 9, 2023
I wouldn't call these codes your therapists used euphemisms, though there certainly are some like that.

''Catastrophe'' and ''crazy/insane'' would seem rather hyberbolic and they remind me of religious people when they call those whose perspective deviate from their beliefs ''sinners/apostat'' and their actions are ''sacrilegious'' etc.
They think that they detain some sort of irrefutable truth, that they are enlighten and their patients are primitive sub-species/nonentities lower than them.

In the hospital I went in, they would use letters to refer to patients problems and they would write lists on a board:
Name/Age/Other infos/Letters indicating the reason why they are here
Suicide Ideation would be SI, Suicide Attempt SA etc
Patients would sneak inside their office to read the board.
I once sneaked with other patients and yeah, it really seemed like we were mere categorized objects, letters, numbers and not actual living beings.

They did use strange terminologies to confuse us and perhaps make us feel dumb or make them feel superior.
I can't remember much because it's been years.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and H.O.Xan
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
Idk abt euphemisms but the whole, "I've so much empathy for u."

Like stfu if I came here to vent I'd have told u earlier. Give me a solution instead of sucking my money dry

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds