singularity3

singularity3

Experienced
Apr 2, 2023
Nietzsche:

What if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness, and say to you, "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence" ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: "You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine."

even if you have never read about this theory. have you never thought about it?....

• Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Homo erectus, Justnotme and 1 other person
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
living the same life over and over again isn't possible in a universe like this i mean you'd have to go back in time to the exact moment you were born, then you'd have to assume everything is deterministic which is clearly not

maybe if the multiverse was ture that every possible universe that could exist does then maybe you could relive your life exactly as before
but i don't believe that every possible universe exist it would be unfathomable

Last edited:
Reactions: Homo erectus and The anhedonic one
singularity3

singularity3

Experienced
Apr 2, 2023
living the same life over and over again isn't possible in a universe like this i mean you'd have to go back in time to the exact moment you were born, then you'd have to assume everything is deterministic which is clearly not

maybe if the multiverse was ture that every possible universe that could exist does then maybe you could relive your life exactly as before
but i don't believe that every possible universe exist it would be unfathomable

Would you say that Nietzsche falls into the trap of substituting religious determinism for this theory, that is, would this be something like Nietzsche's religion?

Justnotme

Justnotme

I want to hang myself
Mar 7, 2022
This thought is driving me crazy. I don't want to be in eternal imprisonment
It's very very scary
Do you know what deja vu is?
The existence of deja vu makes Nietzsche's theory even more real...

• Love
Reactions: Homo erectus, Per Ardua Ad Astra, The anhedonic one and 1 other person
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I don't believe it's possible because everything everywhere is constantly changing.
We have repeating patterns, such as the seasons etc, but each new season of each year will always be different than the last. And so it is with everything else.

Reactions: Homo erectus
singularity3

singularity3

Experienced
Apr 2, 2023
Well, the only serious doubt that this theory leaves me (for our peace of mind) is that there is always a first time and that first occasion obviously cannot be the repetition of any previous one. that is, the eternal repetition when it started?

Reactions: Homo erectus
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
It isn't really that scary, just like the double mirror, front and behind, in a lift or toilet. Every movement looks like it is repeating endless times. But everything taken together, it's still just one life. Just have to live with it.
I don't believe it's possible because everything everywhere is constantly changing.
We have repeating patterns, such as the seasons etc, but each new season of each year will always be different than the last. And so it is with everything else.
If every one of these lives is bad in a slightly different way, there will be infinitely many bad lives. But if there are differences, some bad will still be relatively good.

Last edited:
Remeer

Remeer

Mar 8, 2023
Yes, but it is irrelevant according to me, what is the use of knowing that? In the best of cases, the person would try to live in the best way to repeat that and in the worst one more suffering, like other religious beliefs.
They are interesting ideas, entertaining to think about and debate, but I believe that we are limited in knowing what the true nature of reality is
greetings, be well

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Well- I'd ask them if we'd had this conversation before- in which case- how many times have I already lived this same identical life? In which case- why don't I remember living it before? And if I have lived it many times before and don't remember it- then- it's not 'my' problem is it? How can I really be 'me' next time around if I don't have my memories from this time around or, the times previous to that?

If someone told you you suffered terribly in a previous life you can't remember now- would it REALLY bother you? Sure, it's kind of shitty to think you might have to experience your life again but the effects at least won't be cumulative. It's not going to FEEL like living billions of years if you only remember one lifetime each tine round.

And- if all they do is go around telling people they're going to live their same life over and over- they can't be having such a great time of it either. Presumably- they're eternal. There must be an awful lot of people to give the same talk to. I'd ask them whether they were happy with their lot in life.