• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

I am too lazy to translate it by myself. Whatever. The transcript is not perfect. I speak German.

Transcript:

LODEMANN: You once said:
"We live in a society of notoriously unhappy people"

How did you come to this surprising conclusion?

FROMM: Well, it's not that surprising to be honest.

It's something you can easily observe by taking a loser look at people:

People pretend to be happy.

Even to themselves.

They pretend because life has taught them this is how you are supposed to be happy.

Being unhappy would mean they did something wrong

and failed at being a normal, functioning part of society.

They're afraid people could see them as a failure

so they put on a mask – unknowingly.

But all you need to do is to take a close look to see what's behind their masks:

Restlessness, irritation, anger, depression, insomnia, unhappiness –

In France it was called the "Malaise",

more precisely the "Malaise du siècle"

and Freud called it the "uneasiness in culture".

But it isn't the uneasiness in culture.

It is the uneasiness in our modern society that turned people into working machines

and suppressed the facets of our lives that have actual meaning:

To love and take care of each other. To keep an open mind.

To use our economy as a tool, instead of becoming its tools.

All of this this leads us to where we are now

and is the reason why I believe that our picture of being a happy, modern society

is nothing but fiction we all silently agreed on.

But these observations have been made by many people before me.

After all, people simply need to take a closer look

if they'd like to see for themselves.

LODEMANN: You've worked as a psychotherapist in the past

which helped gaining insight and making these observations, right?

FROMM: That's correct

I've started in 1926 and have analysed and reviewed many hundreds of my cases

or cases of colleagues I supervised.

A lot of empirical data that disclosed a certain pattern:

New clients usually sought help because of mild symptoms

and random minor complaints.

But in many cases these turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg:

In truth they were deeply unhappy and desperate.

Their life felt meaningless and pointless to them.

The minds attempt to suppress these feelings was what caused their initial symptoms.

LÄMMLE: So from your point of view, the people we commonly consider "normal" are in fact sick?

FROMM: Oh, absolutely!

The normal are the sick and the sick are the normal.

This might sound a bit provocative but I'm serious, it's not just a funny phrase:

"The sick individual" is so detached from society, that they are able to retain, rather than surpress, most of their individual, authentic self,

so that they constantly come into conflict with certain aspects of our culture

and as a result of that permanent conflict, exerience pathological symptoms.

And a symptom, similar to pain, simply indicates that "something's not right":

Fortunate is, who shows symptoms; fortunate is, who feels pain when something is missing.

It is well known that someone who is unable to feel pain is in great danger.

"The normal individual" on the other hand is highly adapted to society, so much in fact, that they have abandoned their authentic self

in order to become the person they believe they are supposed to become, pursuing goals they believe they are supposed to pursue.

They're so estranged, so instrumentalized, so robotic, that they're unable to feel conflicted about society at all.

So their capability of realizing their true, authentic self, along with their true feelings, is entirely suppressed – or withered even,

so that they actually meet the diagnostic criteria for a chronic mild schizophrenia.

INTERVIEWER: Do you suspect the causes for this within our society?

FROMM: Well, the causes are quite evident to me;

our society is based on the assumption, that the meaning of life, the ultimate goal,

is profitability, consumption, 'bigger and better' and the facilitation of economical growth:

As of now, we essentially live for economical and technological progress – not our own wellbeing.

Our wellbeing – the wellbeing of the human race – is irrelevant at this point.

Not even what's harmful to us seems to be of relevance

which we can see every day when ads try to convince us into buying products that are often harmful, sometimes even deadly.

Exporting dairy products to Africa – to name a recent example – where many children passed away

due to companies encouraging women to use their products instead of breastfeeding their children.

But all that doesn't matter: Where's profit, there's a lack of conscience.

If you need an even more drastic example you just need to look at the arms industry;

weapons and tools for war being made available to the whole world,

atomic weapons being built. What this means for the people – irrelevant.

All this however, has just started during the industrialisation and was quite different in the middle-ages –

which actually applies to most past cultures – where culture and economy *served* the people, not the other way around.

Freud actually heavily criticised civil society unintentionally when he said

"The civil society is a neurotic society, because it's dominated by the principle of possession, collection, of accumulation, of clinging-onto things – of greed, essentially.

INTERVIEWER: This implies, that the industrialised society, compared to other societies, is actually a underdeveloped society

FROMM: From a human-friendly point of view, yes absolutely.

If I look at other cultures and places, a tribe in Africa for example,

or a simple rural farmers life – where that's still possible – yes, in a way they're far more advanced than we are.

Modern people believe, that the more developed you are, the more machines you will need and use.

And that the less machines you use, the less developed you are.

That's why our people look down on cultures that don't build or use machines the way we do.

Me OP of the thread again. I wonder what his take would have been on the members of this forum. And maybe his take on promortalists. "The normal are the sick and the sick are the normal." I think promortalists would be called by some average people sick. On the other hand I cannot imagine that he would actually endorse promortalism.

I enjoyed the interview but psychoanalysis always makes me sad because my parents massively failed in the way they raised me. One reason why I never was interested to head to psychology courses It needs a lot of social skills also which I don't have. And the psychological elements at college for non-therapists are rather like how can you squeeze money or performance out of people. And I dislike that notion.

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
This is brilliant. Thank you so much for posting it. That's interesting you say that about the whole promortalist thing. Yes- I'd agree- what he was saying did kind of support that whole: 'normies are the delusional (crazy) ones' idea in a way.

Although, I felt like his argument was maybe more- people either try to hang on to their character in this world and become unhappy because it is squashed. (Us I guess.) Or- the normies simply abandon their character to conform.

I don't know really. Like- what truly motivates a person? Are those who say they love life just obeying a script almost? They agreed to the family, the big car, the 9-5 just to go along with it? I feel like the happier people I know did actually genuinely want the things they got. A career in a field they found interesting, a family, enough money to travel etc. I'm not so sure they are all miserable. It tends to be the ones that want things but can't have them or, don't want things at all that seem miserable to me. I don't though.

I guess the argument is- the things we are taught to want (material things) aren't the things we need (relationships.) I expect he's right- loneliness comes up predominantly here.

I get the impression a lot here that people simply don't have any drive to begin with or, something horrible like illness or circumstances come along and smash their dreams to bits. Still- I guess it's the whole set-up in society that he was criticising and I expect he's right too. We are a social species quite often living very isolated lives.

I did really love that interview though. So much of it seemed so descriptive of how we live.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I agree strongly with this. I see so few truly happy people in life. You notice this a lot when you get older. Lots of settling and lots of compromise. Tons of people married to spouses they don't love raising kids they barely tolerate working jobs they hate. It makes me wonder if recovery is really worth it or what it even means. Fiction seems to offer the only escape from the dullness of real life.

itchygator

itchygator

Jan 17, 2024

I am too lazy to translate it by myself. Whatever. The transcript is not perfect. I speak German.

Transcript:

LODEMANN: You once said:
"We live in a society of notoriously unhappy people"

How did you come to this surprising conclusion?

FROMM: Well, it's not that surprising to be honest.

It's something you can easily observe by taking a loser look at people:

People pretend to be happy.

Even to themselves.

They pretend because life has taught them this is how you are supposed to be happy.

Being unhappy would mean they did something wrong

and failed at being a normal, functioning part of society.

They're afraid people could see them as a failure

so they put on a mask – unknowingly.

But all you need to do is to take a close look to see what's behind their masks:

Restlessness, irritation, anger, depression, insomnia, unhappiness –

In France it was called the "Malaise",

more precisely the "Malaise du siècle"

and Freud called it the "uneasiness in culture".

But it isn't the uneasiness in culture.

It is the uneasiness in our modern society that turned people into working machines

and suppressed the facets of our lives that have actual meaning:

To love and take care of each other. To keep an open mind.

To use our economy as a tool, instead of becoming its tools.

All of this this leads us to where we are now

and is the reason why I believe that our picture of being a happy, modern society

is nothing but fiction we all silently agreed on.

But these observations have been made by many people before me.

After all, people simply need to take a closer look

if they'd like to see for themselves.

LODEMANN: You've worked as a psychotherapist in the past

which helped gaining insight and making these observations, right?

FROMM: That's correct

I've started in 1926 and have analysed and reviewed many hundreds of my cases

or cases of colleagues I supervised.

A lot of empirical data that disclosed a certain pattern:

New clients usually sought help because of mild symptoms

and random minor complaints.

But in many cases these turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg:

In truth they were deeply unhappy and desperate.

Their life felt meaningless and pointless to them.

The minds attempt to suppress these feelings was what caused their initial symptoms.

LÄMMLE: So from your point of view, the people we commonly consider "normal" are in fact sick?

FROMM: Oh, absolutely!

The normal are the sick and the sick are the normal.

This might sound a bit provocative but I'm serious, it's not just a funny phrase:

"The sick individual" is so detached from society, that they are able to retain, rather than surpress, most of their individual, authentic self,

so that they constantly come into conflict with certain aspects of our culture

and as a result of that permanent conflict, exerience pathological symptoms.

And a symptom, similar to pain, simply indicates that "something's not right":

Fortunate is, who shows symptoms; fortunate is, who feels pain when something is missing.

It is well known that someone who is unable to feel pain is in great danger.

"The normal individual" on the other hand is highly adapted to society, so much in fact, that they have abandoned their authentic self

in order to become the person they believe they are supposed to become, pursuing goals they believe they are supposed to pursue.

They're so estranged, so instrumentalized, so robotic, that they're unable to feel conflicted about society at all.

So their capability of realizing their true, authentic self, along with their true feelings, is entirely suppressed – or withered even,

so that they actually meet the diagnostic criteria for a chronic mild schizophrenia.

INTERVIEWER: Do you suspect the causes for this within our society?

FROMM: Well, the causes are quite evident to me;

our society is based on the assumption, that the meaning of life, the ultimate goal,

is profitability, consumption, 'bigger and better' and the facilitation of economical growth:

As of now, we essentially live for economical and technological progress – not our own wellbeing.

Our wellbeing – the wellbeing of the human race – is irrelevant at this point.

Not even what's harmful to us seems to be of relevance

which we can see every day when ads try to convince us into buying products that are often harmful, sometimes even deadly.

Exporting dairy products to Africa – to name a recent example – where many children passed away

due to companies encouraging women to use their products instead of breastfeeding their children.

But all that doesn't matter: Where's profit, there's a lack of conscience.

If you need an even more drastic example you just need to look at the arms industry;

weapons and tools for war being made available to the whole world,

atomic weapons being built. What this means for the people – irrelevant.

All this however, has just started during the industrialisation and was quite different in the middle-ages –

which actually applies to most past cultures – where culture and economy *served* the people, not the other way around.

Freud actually heavily criticised civil society unintentionally when he said

"The civil society is a neurotic society, because it's dominated by the principle of possession, collection, of accumulation, of clinging-onto things – of greed, essentially.

INTERVIEWER: This implies, that the industrialised society, compared to other societies, is actually a underdeveloped society

FROMM: From a human-friendly point of view, yes absolutely.

If I look at other cultures and places, a tribe in Africa for example,

or a simple rural farmers life – where that's still possible – yes, in a way they're far more advanced than we are.

Modern people believe, that the more developed you are, the more machines you will need and use.

And that the less machines you use, the less developed you are.

That's why our people look down on cultures that don't build or use machines the way we do.

Me OP of the thread again. I wonder what his take would have been on the members of this forum. And maybe his take on promortalists. "The normal are the sick and the sick are the normal." I think promortalists would be called by some average people sick. On the other hand I cannot imagine that he would actually endorse promortalism.

I enjoyed the interview but psychoanalysis always makes me sad because my parents massively failed in the way they raised me. One reason why I never was interested to head to psychology courses It needs a lot of social skills also which I don't have. And the psychological elements at college for non-therapists are rather like how can you squeeze money or performance out of people. And I dislike that notion.

Wow that's some of the realest sh't ive ever heard.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I fully agree with what he says. We humans created a toxic environment for ourselves in the last 200 years and the development of it accelerated in the past a lot in the past 20-30 years especially. We actually could not survive in our natural habitat without any modern things anymore.

Society and the economy nowadays are the main reason for MH issues that are caused my external factors.

Thanks for sharing this interview!

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
This is an interesting point that has been made in various forms over millennia. All major religions are predicated on the notion of something being wrong with normal human life. What is it? They may offer various narratives, but all agree that there is indeed a very deep problem. Yet tragically, we find that it is very easy for even religion to become just another part of the misery.

If Western humanity is a mass cult of faux contentment, it may be because people are averse to the negativity of stark realism. Openly wallowing in self-pity is even worse than escapism. Modern social media culture has tended to further accentuate this inauthenticity. Further, I have heard teachers of spiritual enlightenment remark that people don't actually realise how much they are suffering until they experience the heavy weight being lifted.

As social creatures, belonging to an ingroup is a primal matter of survival. Our genes incline us towards tribalism, which in modern times is thinly veiled in civility - consumer brand loyalty, political posturing, nationalism and even religion. But it all still boils down to the intense need for a tribe. Inevitably, the truly honest, intellectual integrity of genuine truth-seeking becomes completely corrupted in the name of fitting in, and we do pay a heavy price since we are only sweeping our problems under the rug.

Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
That's what I've thought for a long time already. Not that I feel like someone who manages to find happiness is wrong, but I feel like some are convincing themselves to be happy and eventually become happy. I have met some people who I can say seem genuinely happy by embracing all the bad stuff and the possibility of suicide down the road to truly appreciate life, or embrace the bad parts of life and then make up their own mind of happiness and living. Those I consider to be genuinely happy, but most people I see don't fall under this.

Reactions: sserafim