wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Too often I think about the nature of thinking...
Jan 12, 2024
I've been having a real tough time these past few days. I feel wildly insecure and useless and worthless. I feel like everything I do is motivated by selfish desires. And I feel like I'm causing net harm over help in both family and friend. And I only see it getting worse.

I know this is super attention-seeking of me and super selfish behavior, but if any of you could spare some words of encouragement that would mean everything to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, wren-briar, AtheistCDsissy and 6 others
P

pedrbel8805

Sep 14, 2024
You are a person who has not yet discovered your full potential, practice meditation or travel, find yourself. Good luck.

• Hugs
Reactions: Leiot, Praying 4 a Miracle and wondering&wandering
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
Well, we're all selfish, that's the first thing I'd say. What we try to do is make our desires more pure, and that takes time. You realize, "hey, I feel better if the good people around me feel better," then you selfishly try to help them feel better. So, don't sweat it.

Did you kill anyone recently? Rob a bank? Sexual assault? If not, odds are - and I can say this knowing nothing about you - in the bell curve of the world you fall into the "decent folks" range, which is most of it. And, most importantly, you feel a sense of guilt, meaning you want to improve. Whether you want to believe me or not, I'm telling you I feel confident that you're a fine person, and your shortcomings are redeemable.

We're often harder on ourselves than we would be for other people, even a stranger! If a random stranger described themselves to you using the language your internal monologue uses for yourself, what would you say to them? Would you call them worthless? Would you tell them it will only get worse? If not, you deserve to treat yourself at least as well as you would a total stranger, I think.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Leiot, Praying 4 a Miracle, wren-briar and 3 others
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Jan 12, 2024
You are a person who has not yet discovered your full potential, practice meditation or travel, find yourself. Good luck.
Thank, I'll try.
Well, we're all selfish, that's the first thing I'd say. What we try to do is make our desires more pure, and that takes time. You realize, "hey, I feel better if the good people around me feel better," then you selfishly try to help them feel better. So, don't sweat it.
I guess so. I guess I just feel super guilty and selfish if I feel like all that I'm giving isn't being appreciated and/or reciprocated. So then, am I just motivated to be good to hopefully have good done towards me?
Did you kill anyone recently? Rob a bank? Sexual assault? If not, odds are - and I can say this knowing nothing about you - in the bell curve of the world you fall into the "decent folks" range, which is most of it. And, most importantly, you feel a sense of guilt, meaning you want to improve. Whether you want to believe me or not, I'm telling you I feel confident that you're a fine person, and your shortcomings are redeemable.
I see what you mean.
We're often harder on ourselves than we would be for other people, even a stranger! If a random stranger described themselves to you using the language your internal monologue uses for yourself, what would you say to them? Would you call them worthless? Would you tell them it will only get worse? If not, you deserve to treat yourself at least as well as you would a total stranger, I think.
True. Good points. I probably need to learn to love myself first instead of hoping someone will love me. It's just hard. But thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, BoulderSoWhat, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
Golemishna

Golemishna

Jun 30, 2023
It's not attention seeking, we all need kind words and want to be loved. I dont know you but I bet you are being too harsh on yourself. I also feel insecure and worthless. You are not alone, Im here if you wanna talk. You can do this.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, BoulderSoWhat, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
futurebuscatcher

futurebuscatcher

Cat Connoisseur
Sep 15, 2024
Its not attention seeking to want comfort or support. It's perfectly fine to want encouragement. Don't beat yourself up.

Also think about your actions and thoughts. Do you take your anger out on others? Are you being cruel to them?

Chances are this is a no. Believe me I feel this way too sometimes but I guve myself the credit of at least not making it other people's problems

• Hugs
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Jan 12, 2024
It's not attention seeking, we all need kind words and want to be loved. I dont know you but I bet you are being too harsh on yourself. I also feel insecure and worthless. You are not alone, Im here if you wanna talk. You can do this.
Thank you, I appreciate your kind words and offer!

etherealgoddess

etherealgoddess

perseverance is inevitable success
Dec 8, 2022
I've been having a real tough time these past few days. I feel wildly insecure and useless and worthless. I feel like everything I do is motivated by selfish desires. And I feel like I'm causing net harm over help in both family and friend. And I only see it getting worse.

I know this is super attention-seeking of me and super selfish behavior, but if any of you could spare some words of encouragement that would mean everything to me.
You're not "attention-seeking." Everyone wants to feel heard, seen, and valuable in society. This is a natural feeling that all humans feel except the small minority of sociopaths and psychopaths (even sociopaths want social power).

You are not selfish. I know someone told you that were selfish. They made you feel selfish for having desires when actually your desires were always valuable but they just couldn't provide that to you. You weren't wanting too much, and you never have. You were a child once who relied on the care of others once. We, as humans, whether we like it or not, are highly dependent on other humans. Someone else farms our food, someone else manages the factory that makes our clothes, someone else manages the factory that makes your parent's medication, etc. It's when we surrender and realize we HAVE to rely on others that we stop hurting ourselves for having human needs. No matter what thoughts you have in your mind that tell you you should desire less, you deserve to want your desires. They are valid.

I know you're going through some heavy shit in your life. It can feel really hard to hold on. But hear me out: do a meditation. Don't focus on the idea of meditating: it's about trying to train your focus and understanding what you are even thinking. My depression spirals are always the opposite of meditation: brain scrambling everywhere and can't think about one thing at a time. Slow down. Remember that the only real moment is NOW. The thoughts of the past—yes, they are "real," but they don't exist anymore. The past is… gone. For good and for worse. Take the time to just enjoy the moment for enjoying the moment: not because you want to run away from things. Permit yourself to enjoy the moment instead of thinking to yourself, "I should be doing something else."

You are such a lovely human being who is deserving of the best. You deserve to feel that way as well. This may be a dark period. This can last for years. But there is a light. I fucking PROMISE you. I'm finally starting to see the lights flicker as I slowly get out of the mess of a 6-year, soul-crushing depression. The binges get faster and faster, I recover faster and faster. We learn more about ourselves and boy, when we get out of this mess, we will be FUCKING IRON MAN. LIKE, when we get out of this mess, do you realize how fucking STRONG we will be emotionally? Nothing will ever shake us again. Yes, it's fine to feel some pain, but we won't go into a depression spiral when we learn more about ourselves and what we need. We may be struggling, but I'm telling you… when we get out of this, which we both will, we will be so F-ing strong nothing will be able to stop us. I get it is hard to believe me now, but I promise it WILL happen.

This was a big rant, but I hope it made sense lol.

• Love
Reactions: Leiot, Praying 4 a Miracle, BoulderSoWhat and 1 other person
EmptyEater

EmptyEater

Sep 26, 2024
True selflessness is pathological and inherently self denying.
99% of people operate on selfishness no matter how they brand it

• Informative
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, Lostandlooking and wondering&wandering
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Jan 12, 2024
Its not attention seeking to want comfort or support. It's perfectly fine to want encouragement. Don't beat yourself up.
I try not be, but it's hard.
Also think about your actions and thoughts. Do you take your anger out on others? Are you being cruel to them?
I sometimes do/am. Or at the very least I upset people by not acting normal.
Chances are this is a no. Believe me I feel this way too sometimes but I guve myself the credit of at least not making it other people's problems
I think I see what you mean. Thanks for responding and for the advice.

@etherealgoddess thank you so much for your kind and inspiring words. It means the world to me, honestly.

Lots of solid advice to glean from that. I thank you so so much. This definitely helped! I can't thank you enough! 🫂

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, Lostandlooking and etherealgoddess
Silent_cries

Silent_cries

I wish I could delete my trauma...
Aug 10, 2021
I know how you feel, I sometimes doubt myself too. The other day I was worried I had accidentally offended someone because I tend to unintentionally go too far with my jokes sometimes without realising. It's hard for me as an autistic to understand what's "too far" sometimes, especially when it comes to comedy since everyone is different. I too used to take my issues out on people, often violently too, but I've since learned to take things out constructivly through anger management and therapy, thankfully. I guess what I'm trying to say is that what makes a good person isn't neccecarily your actions, but rather how you see the world. If you want people well and support people, you're a good person. If you want to cause suffering for your own enjoyment, you're not. That's my personal opinion at least. Now I don't know you personally, but based from the experiences I've had with you, you're a very good person. I remember how you would always leave thoughtful reactions and heartwarming, supporting comments on my status. A bad person would definitely not do that! We all make mistakes sometimes and that doesn't neccesarily make you a bad person. I've made lot's, and I still consider myself a good person for the most part. There is a reason I like engaging with you, and supporting you. It's because you're a great person to me. Remember that!

Btw, if you ever need to talk, don't be afraid to shoot me a dm, okay? I'll always be there for you. *^^*

• Love
Reactions: BoulderSoWhat and wondering&wandering
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Jan 12, 2024
Thanks @Silent_cries , that means a lot, especially coming from you! 🫂

killorbekilled

killorbekilled

depressing manhwa reader
Oct 3, 2024
Humans are born with selfish thoughts, it is completely normal. You are doing great to continue living, no matter what anyone says. The fact that you believe you are a bad person and are trying to change that is proof that you are a good person to me.

• Love
Reactions: wondering&wandering
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Jan 12, 2024
Humans are born with selfish thoughts, it is completely normal. You are doing great to continue living, no matter what anyone says. The fact that you believe you are a bad person and are trying to change that is proof that you are a good person to me.
Thanks! I think I get too caught up in being the perfect friend or perfect whatever. I mean, I still think I do mean things to people, but I certainly don't want to.

Thanks for your encouraging words!

• Hugs
Reactions: BoulderSoWhat and killorbekilled
W

wren-briar

wrenbriar.gitlab.io
Jul 1, 2024
@wondering&wandering This may sound like an odd question, but what are you knowledgeable about? It can be something academic, hands-on, fun, or even just specific crappy life experiences that others haven't even experienced?

LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
Well, I don't know you, but you have my words of encouragement. I wish you the best whatever you decide to do!

• Hugs
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Jan 12, 2024
@wondering&wandering This may sound like an odd question, but what are you knowledgeable about? It can be something academic, hands-on, fun, or even just specific crappy life experiences that others haven't even experienced?
Um, I guess I kind of know music theory to an extent.

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar
W

wren-briar

wrenbriar.gitlab.io
Jul 1, 2024
Um, I guess I kind of know music theory to an extent.

What got you interested in music theory?

How did you learn what you know about music theory?

If you were learning "from scratch" what would have helped you learn it faster or better?

Leiot

Leiot

Oct 2, 2024
IDK, 'selfish' usually implies you don't care about other people. It doesn't sound like you're like that at all. There's a difference between selfish and looking out for yourself. Sending up a flare asking for help isn't selfish.

But it feels selfish, doesn't it? I run into the same thing. We have to fight that. I love that there are people here that know exactly what we're feeling and don't judge us for it. @Silent_cries, @etherealgoddess & @derpyderpins nailed it but everyone here has your back.

• Love
Reactions: etherealgoddess and wondering&wandering
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Jan 12, 2024
IDK, 'selfish' usually implies you don't care about other people. It doesn't sound like you're like that at all. There's a difference between selfish and looking out for yourself. Sending up a flare asking for help isn't selfish.
It still feels selfish, but if I saw someone else do it, I'd likely say it's not selfish. I think you're right.
But it feels selfish, doesn't it? I run into the same thing. We have to fight that. I love that there are people here that know exactly what we're feeling and don't judge us for it. @Silent_cries, @etherealgoddess & @derpyderpins nailed it but everyone here has your back.
Yeah, thanks, I appreciate it!
What got you interested in music theory?
I play piano.
How did you learn what you know about music theory?
By myself mostly through the internet.
If you were learning "from scratch" what would have helped you learn it faster or better?
Um, I'm not sure. Maybe buy a book on it?

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar