T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I have not been employed for a year or so due to mental health problems. I've been doing better and have tried to apply to various roles but there's one thing in common for them all: I never hear back. Fast food? No response. Retail? No response. Substitute teaching? No response. It's honestly annoying. There are some things I know as to why.

There are very limited roles in my small town and I have very minimal experience. I honestly don't want employment but I know I need something for a resume and money wouldn't hurt. I hope if I do get a call back soon, I don't hate the job.

I'm in a privileged position as a college student living with my mom but I still will need to get some form of employment before I graduate. I got 3 years or so until then. If I don't get a call back, I can at least try to apply for a work-study job or since my university is in a much larger town, I'll get a job there. I guess I'll wait and see how everything works out

Reactions: apatheticallyalive, Praestat_Mori, pleaseletmeperish and 1 other person
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Just keep trying. Every new application is a brand new shot.

Even no luck with seasonal positions?

Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
Walk into places and physically ask for a manager, tell them you're interested in a position. Do you have any friends anywhere that can put a good word for you in with their managers?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Stoldy

Stoldy

Born loser
Apr 20, 2023
It's almost like it's designed to be difficult. My recommendation is looking out for establishments that have a "now hiring" sign up front.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and psp3000
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
So an update, I got an interview at a place! I don't know if I'll get an offer but I recognize the manager as my old bus driver so that seems interesting to get to know her a little better and learn about the workplace. It's on Thursday at 2PM.

Walk into places and physically ask for a manager, tell them you're interested in a position. Do you have any friends anywhere that can put a good word for you in with their managers?
Honestly not really. Don't have many friends but I do think the idea of physically asking for a manager is a good approach. If the interview doesn't pan out, I'll try that at some of the places I've already applied

Just keep trying. Every new application is a brand new shot.

Even no luck with seasonal positions?
There aren't seasonal positions near me (closest one I've seen is a bath and body works 30 mins away)

• Hugs
Reactions: Abandoned Character and tiger b
P

pleaseletmeperish

Nov 4, 2023
So an update, I got an interview at a place! I don't know if I'll get an offer but I recognize the manager as my old bus driver so that seems interesting to get to know her a little better and learn about the workplace. It's on Thursday at 2PM.

Honestly not really. Don't have many friends but I do think the idea of physically asking for a manager is a good approach. If the interview doesn't pan out, I'll try that at some of the places I've already applied

There aren't seasonal positions near me (closest one I've seen is a bath and body works 30 mins away)
Best of luck! I'm sure you'll ace the interview.

• Hugs
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind and tiger b
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I relate. I never worked yet and I want to work a part time job to support myself. But I just struggle on the whole process. I got lots of issues on why I can't get employed and it sucks. I'm not meant for this world

• Hugs
Reactions: apatheticallyalive and ThatStateOfMind
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Best of luck! I'm sure you'll ace the interview.
Thanks! I feel a lot more confident for this interview than I have for previous ones, likely due to me having done more interviews by now. I'm probably still gonna be an anxious mess the day of the interview but maybe I can hide it haha
I relate. I never worked yet and I want to work a part time job to support myself. But I just struggle on the whole process. I got lots of issues on why I can't get employed and it sucks. I'm not meant for this world
I'm sorry you're struggling. I struggled with previous employment because I have bad impulse control and I impulsively quit every job I've had. I'm seeking to break the cycle here and if I do decide to leave the job, I want it to be after a month at the very least and actually provide a two week notice this time. I don't know what your issues are but I hope you find a way to deal with this and be able to support yourself <3

Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
Write out your CV. It's ok to embellish somewhat without actually lying. Include anything that you think might illustrate reliability, punctuality, versatility, honesty..all that good stuff. It doesn't have to be all about your employment and educational history. Employers are more interested in candidates with the right qualities. Attach a cover note and send it to anywhere you would be ok with working.
It IS difficult to obtain employment, but it's important to recognise the difference between a job and a career.
It's much easier to get a job if you already have a job. Sounds strange, but it's true. So even if you know it's not something you want to do long term, it's a stepping stone.
Always be looking for work. There's always opportunities out there and unless you're looking, they will pass you by.
If you are rejected, call and ask for feedback. It's standard practice when you get on the career ladder (I can't speak for "jobs"). They won't all do so, but if just a few give you tips as to how you fell short of the mark, it's going to help. Your CV is something that needs to be constantly updated and polished.
I found travel to be a great addition as it gives you something to talk about at interview, that is memorable and one of those things that gives you an edge over the competition.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Good luck!

• Hugs
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind
Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
Thanks for the update, you got this!

• Hugs
Reactions: ThatStateOfMind and LaVieEnRose
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Write out your CV. It's ok to embellish somewhat without actually lying. Include anything that you think might illustrate reliability, punctuality, versatility, honesty..all that good stuff. It doesn't have to be all about your employment and educational history. Employers are more interested in candidates with the right qualities. Attach a cover note and send it to anywhere you would be ok with working.
It IS difficult to obtain employment, but it's important to recognise the difference between a job and a career.
It's much easier to get a job if you already have a job. Sounds strange, but it's true. So even if you know it's not something you want to do long term, it's a stepping stone.
Always be looking for work. There's always opportunities out there and unless you're looking, they will pass you by.
If you are rejected, call and ask for feedback. It's standard practice when you get on the career ladder (I can't speak for "jobs"). They won't all do so, but if just a few give you tips as to how you fell short of the mark, it's going to help. Your CV is something that needs to be constantly updated and polished.
I found travel to be a great addition as it gives you something to talk about at interview, that is memorable and one of those things that gives you an edge over the competition.
I'm currently a college student seeking part time employment, not so much a career currently. I actually plan on going to the career center at some point and utilizing the resume help once I'm in university (my community college doesn't have that)

Also, I'm waiting to have something interesting for a resume. I signed up for NASA's NCAS and I'm hoping I'm accepted into that because I feel that would look amazing on a resume.
Good luck!
Thank you!
Thanks for the update, you got this!
Thanks!