O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
Modern day Western Society's economy is a joke.
And society wonders why people why to suicide.

Have you looked at the economy today?

You can be working full time and still not make enough to afford a mortgage.

UNAFFORDADLE HOUSING:

I am not talking about if you are earning +$50k CAD ($36,221 USD). I am talking about if you are earning around +$38k CAD ($27,528 USD).
About 30% of Canadians earn under $50k. Put that into perspective, that's around 11 million people.

Forget owning a house, as that's impossible if you are a single person.
I am just talking about owning a condo.

Lets just say the average single bathroom single bedroom condo costs about $529,000 CAD ($383,191 USD). That's being generous considering thats not the cost of a major city condo.

Even if you put down a 20% down payment of $105,800 CAD (76,668 USD), your mortgage would still be about $2618 CAD ($1897 USD) monthly.

After income taxes, your monthly income is about $2300 CAD ($1666 USD).
So the mortgage is more than your entire monthly income after taxes!

If there was no income tax and you don't spend a dime of your income, it would take you 14 years to save up to afford a condo. That's IF you don't spend an entire dime. In the real world, people have to eat, pay rent, and bills.
So that takes condos out of the question

Instead, if you are single, you are basically forced to rent. NOT EVEN rent alone. Rent a room or share a house with 4 other people.
Even renting a room can cost up to $1200 CAD ($869.46 USD) a month. That's more than 50% of your monthly income.
Now that's fine if it was just rent.

But.......here is where the bills come in.

BILLS & IMPOSSIBLE LIVING STANDARDS:

Now good luck financing a car. In North America, it's pretty much impossible to commute anywhere without a car. Unless you live in a major city, public transport sucks. Then again, if you want to live in a major city, your income better be 100k.

If your car is $26,000 CAD ($18,839 USD) your monthly payment would be: $165.38 CAD ($119.84) USD.
Now here comes car insurance. If your car insurance is $2000 CAD ($1449 USD) yearly, then it would be $166.67 CAD ($120 USD) monthly.

Oh! And here comes the super expensive gas. Lets say a month is two tanks $120 CAD ($86.95 USD).

Now here comes groceries. Say $175 CAD ($126.81 USD) a month.

You add that all up with rent, now all of the sudden its up to 79% of your income gone.

I didn't even include other bills like insurance plans or other medical expenses.

So you tell me how am I supposed to "save up" for a condo?
I would be stuck in this situation forever.

JOB MARKET SUCKS:

Then, Employers say there is a shortage of employees willing to work.
Well that's a load of bullshit...
Last time you looked on Indeed half of the jobs were for $18.00 or $17.00 an hour. What is $18.00 good for now? Buying a stack of toilet paper to wipe my ass with?
And these aren't some retail jobs that anyone can do. Like actual customer service jobs, where you have to put in work. Funny thing is, you look at these jobs and they typically say "requires two years of relevant experience and a Bachelors Degree".

But then, when you have even more experience that what they require and apply, they think you are "over qualified" and never get back to you.

So no. There is no shortage of employees willing to work. There is shortage of employees willing to be exploited.

If you want a career job, there is the "entry level" job requirement with 3 years of experience. The Catch 22.
Where am I going to get that experience if an ENTRY level job requires 3 years of experience? You want experience, yet you are unwilling to give out experience.

===========================================

So the solution to all this is just to live in a remote area right? Nope! Good luck finding a job there.

Keep in mind, all this I mentioned is just for a single person. Imagine having to take care of an elderly person or if you have a kid.

Who in the world would want to live having to work fulltime jobs and still barely able to pay for a home, groceries, or their other bills?

When you do everything you can, work hard, and try to improve your living situation and it is impossible, what's going to motivate me to continue?

That's why people want to suicide.

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, AInilam, autistocracy and 19 others
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Just become a steaming gamer or dancing TikTok "influencer" and you can make millions lol.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Prime0, Kit1, Archness and 5 others
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I'm from the US and you just summed up part of why I want to kill myself lol. There are asinine degree requirements for even the most basic jobs (no I don't need a bachelor's degree in 19th century history or theater to be qualified for the bottom rung of the management pool) and the cost of living keeps you perpetually poor while someone else makes exponential profits off of you. No one in north america invests in real public infrastructure and no one really gives a shit that the systems in all 3 countries are designed for the upper 10% and purposely geared towards maintaining the status quo. You are working just to sustain yourself but are told it is a great privilege just to exist.

Reactions: immrw, oddetoad, WhatPowerIs and 13 others
carnivalforone

carnivalforone

Experienced
Sep 29, 2023
i wish i could just get a layed back job and make enough to live comfortably not even luxuriously just enough to feed myself and live...

Reactions: Kit1, LittleBlackCat, sserafim and 3 others
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
i wish i could just get a layed back job and make enough to live comfortably not even luxuriously just enough to feed myself and live...
Lol. Forget that. You can get a job where you have multiple responsibilities and not even make enough to feed yourself.
Just become a steaming gamer or dancing TikTok "influencer" and you can make millions lol.
I am a guy unfortunately lol.

Reactions: Kit1, tiger b and sserafim
hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
This world is made to keep us the slaves working miserable jobs and feeding the little percent rich. Thats how it has always worked and it will ALWAYS remain the same.

Reactions: kitty_kat, Kit1, TapeMachine and 2 others
Black Sheep One

Black Sheep One

Mar 4, 2023
Try Reddit and antiwork. Anything I would rant about can be found there.

Reactions: Kit1 and sserafim
D

Deleted member 65988

This world is made to keep us the slaves working miserable jobs and feeding the little percent rich. Thats how it has always worked and it will ALWAYS remain the same.
That's literally it. The working class slaves who barely have enough, work miserable jobs with very little left to show for it while the rich keep getting even richer.

Reactions: hellispink, Oneness and sserafim
BlazingBob

BlazingBob

I'm still here b/c of my dogs
Oct 28, 2021
Those numbers in the OP are grossly understated. It's way worse than that especially here in California. Where I am houses average close to a million. A studio apartment in a shitty area is at least 2k a month and you have to make at least 3 times that a month to even qualify. That's 72k a year. I've never made close to that. I'm royally fucked. I'm dealing with multiple chronic illnesses and disability would be about $850 a month, IF I were approved which could take years. Homelessness is inevitable. Oh but just don't kill yourself. Temporary solution, you're here for a reason, your life has value, call 800 273-talk, there's help available, there's always hope, ad nauseam. These people and society at large are delusional.

Reactions: immrw, Photographer Fizzle, Wormfood and 10 others
LittleBlackCat

LittleBlackCat

Experienced
Feb 6, 2020
It's the same here in the UK and we are all shocked at this change as house prices and rent used to be low. I've started applying for social housing but keep getting rejected .. I'm struggling to keep working due to low motivation and social anxiety. Keep wanting to cry at work which isn't ideal. I'd like to take an easy job but can't because I'd like to rent eventually. There will be many people deciding to CTB in the future due to all this

Reactions: raindrop9, Lookoutbelow, OhWellDerp321 and 4 others
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

A born again but occasionally suicidal
Feb 13, 2022
Yep the scam is becoming more obvious with each passing year. The problems that led to what's going on now began many decades ago, but we are now seeing the real consequences of everything that's been done to create perverse incentives that produce rewards to be the opposite of what would be required for an honest and sustainable economy. It has never been honest or a free market, but they could hide it for a long time. Even back when I was like 24, I'm 46 now. I noticed that inflation was reducing my purchasing power because I was working for tips in a strip club. I saw the writing on the wall even back then. I thought to myself, I think I'm not going to have kids because the inflation will probably never stop and I dont see this ever getting fixed, and here we are. I was right. My decisions for my life have not been right but my predictions about the future of the economy were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archness, raindrop9, OhWellDerp321 and 5 others
cursedcure

cursedcure

palliative care
Oct 8, 2023
agreed with you and it's a big part of why i'm CTB. how can one find happiness in this shitshow of a world is beyond me.

Reactions: oddetoad, LittleBlackCat, redeyepiranha and 3 others
Oneness

Oneness

The eternal awaits
Oct 23, 2023
And don't forget, if you want to eat healthy food, the cost of groceries doubles or triples. I'm a student, and the economy is literally forcing me to choose between CTB or starving to death.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: oddetoad, LoiteringClouds, Spiritual survivor and 5 others
D

Deleted member 65988

Oh but just don't kill yourself. Temporary solution, you're here for a reason, your life has value, call 800 273-talk, there's help available, there's always hope, ad nauseam. These people and society at large are delusional.
It is delusional at its core because it does not take into the account of reality and how harsh it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: raindrop9
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Economy is the current system for expressing power and control. When robots do all human jobs, most people will be unemployed, the old economic system will be ineffective to control people's behavior. That's probably why they are introducing cashless, social credit based systems. They are always ahead of ordinary people.

Reactions: raindrop9 and Deleted member 65988
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
Those numbers in the OP are grossly understated. It's way worse than that especially here in California. Where I am houses average close to a million. A studio apartment in a shitty area is at least 2k a month and you have to make at least 3 times that a month to even qualify. That's 72k a year. I've never made close to that. I'm royally fucked. I'm dealing with multiple chronic illnesses and disability would be about $850 a month, IF I were approved which could take years. Homelessness is inevitable. Oh but just don't kill yourself. Temporary solution, you're here for a reason, your life has value, call 800 273-talk, there's help available, there's always hope, ad nauseam. These people and society at large are delusional.
And eh. Don't forget. When you become homeless, everyone in society will look at you as a bum and say it was "all your fault and you chose to be homeless". Sometimes I rather be real and depressed than brainwash myself into thinking society is okay.

• Aww..
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, TapeMachine, Spiritual survivor and 3 others
DEATH IS FREEDOM

DEATH IS FREEDOM

Death is the solution to unsolvable problems.
Sep 13, 2023
Only the rich should procreate and take care of the offspring´s finances for life. We live in a made up civilization with made up laws and rules and money is the most absurd invention. It is crazy that life is so expensive to live and even euthanasia in Switzerland is only for the rich. Poor people can neither afford to live nor die. This is what people should think about when they have children.

• Aww..
Reactions: TapeMachine, Spiritual survivor and Deleted member 65988
Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
You NEED a college drgree or to have a "respectable" job just to live by yourself in a shitty apartment. Too many ppl, and my boomer parents gaslight and say "Well you just gotta work hard" like STFU, honestly.

Fucking RIP me. Can't get a degree and stem but having a trade still somehow makes me "undesirable".

• Aww..
Reactions: WhatPowerIs, Spiritual survivor and Deleted member 65988
Teleftaía Anapnoí

Teleftaía Anapnoí

δεν υπάρχει μέλλον
Jul 6, 2023
And don't forget, if you want to eat healthy food, the cost of groceries doubles or triples. I'm a student, and the economy is literally forcing me to choose between CTB or starving to death.
Yeap, in brazil is jus the same. I have to make the same choices

Reactions: Oneness
D

Deleted member 65988

Yeap, in brazil is jus the same. I have to make the same choices
Yeah, I can't sit here and lie that my own country's every deteriorating state isn't pushing me to ctb. It's definitely a factor.

Reactions: Teleftaía Anapnoí
Teleftaía Anapnoí

Teleftaía Anapnoí

δεν υπάρχει μέλλον
Jul 6, 2023
Yeah, I can't sit here and lie that my own country's every deteriorating state isn't pushing me to ctb. It's definitely a factor.
I believe this is the main reason most of the time. If people had guaranteed access to housing and food, really basic things, we're not even talking about the internet and more complex things, suicide would greatly decrease in the world. It's very bad that you don't see the future, not because of an illness, but because the state consciously harms your life for the sake of profit.

• Aww..
Reactions: WhatPowerIs, OhWellDerp321 and Spiritual survivor
Vesiira

Vesiira

Dreaming Of Being Buried
Nov 7, 2023

UNAFFORDADLE HOUSING:

I am not talking about if you are earning +$50k CAD ($36,221 USD). I am talking about if you are earning around +$38k CAD ($27,528 USD).
About 30% of Canadians earn under $50k. Put that into perspective, that's around 11 million people.

Lets just say the average single bathroom single bedroom condo costs about $529,000 CAD ($383,191 USD). That's being generous considering thats not the cost of a major city condo.

Even if you put down a 20% down payment of $105,800 CAD (76,668 USD), your mortgage would still be about $2618 CAD ($1897 USD) monthly.

If there was no income tax and you don't spend a dime of your income, it would take you 14 years to save up to afford a condo. That's IF you don't spend an entire dime. In the real world, people have to eat, pay rent, and bills.

Instead, if you are single, you are basically forced to rent. NOT EVEN rent alone. Rent a room or share a house with 4 other people.
Even renting a room can cost up to $1200 CAD ($869.46 USD) a month. That's more than 50% of your monthly income.

Now good luck financing a car. In North America, it's pretty much impossible to commute anywhere without a car. Unless you live in a major city, public transport sucks. Then again, if you want to live in a major city, your income better be 100k.

If your car is $26,000 CAD ($18,839 USD) your monthly payment would be: $165.38 CAD ($119.84) USD.
Now here comes car insurance. If your car insurance is $2000 CAD ($1449 USD) yearly, then it would be $166.67 CAD ($120 USD) monthly.

Oh! And here comes the super expensive gas. Lets say a month is two tanks $120 CAD ($86.95 USD).

You add that all up with rent, now all of the sudden its up to 79% of your income gone.

I didn't even include other bills like insurance plans or other medical expenses.

JOB MARKET SUCKS:

Last time you looked on Indeed half of the jobs were for $18.00 or $17.00 an hour. What is $18.00 good for now? Buying a stack of toilet paper to wipe my ass with?
And these aren't some retail jobs that anyone can do. Like actual customer service jobs, where you have to put in work. Funny thing is, you look at these jobs and they typically say "requires two years of relevant experience and a Bachelors Degree".

But then, when you have even more experience that what they require and apply, they think you are "over qualified" and never get back to you.

So no. There is no shortage of employees willing to work. There is shortage of employees willing to be exploited.

If you want a career job, there is the "entry level" job requirement with 3 years of experience. The Catch 22.
Where am I going to get that experience if an ENTRY level job requires 3 years of experience? You want experience, yet you are unwilling to give out experience.

So the solution to all this is just to live in a remote area right? Nope! Good luck finding a job there.

Keep in mind, all this I mentioned is just for a single person. Imagine having to take care of an elderly person or if you have a kid.

Who in the world would want to live having to work fulltime jobs and still barely able to pay for a home, groceries, or their other bills?

When you do everything you can, work hard, and try to improve your living situation and it is impossible, what's going to motivate me to continue?

it's honestly so ridiculous. it feels so fucking ominous, the phrase "cost of living." yeah it sure does fucking cost to live and it's not worth it at all. this world has always sucked and it gets suckier by the day! they expect us to want to live when it's like this????

Reactions: OhWellDerp321
ringo99

ringo99

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2023
Millenials like me and Gen Zers are entering a horrible time in history to try and get a job or hit life goals that were relatively easy for baby boomers to achieve. Literally being alive everyday seems to be a punishment. Ironically if I ctbed, the insurance money would wipe out a huge chunk of my family's money woes.

That's the way the world is now; live for yourself and suffer or die to help others.

Reactions: WhatPowerIs, LittleBlackCat and Deleted member 65988
D

Deleted member 65988

I believe this is the main reason most of the time. If people had guaranteed access to housing and food, really basic things, we're not even talking about the internet and more complex things, suicide would greatly decrease in the world. It's very bad that you don't see the future, not because of an illness, but because the state consciously harms your life for the sake of profit.
Even if there is a future, would it be one where I'm legitimately content with life and everything around it. I agree though, if society worked even more to sustain people from falling into homelessness and provide adequate housing, clean water and the usual things kids dreamed of solving as problems in classroom projects when their imagination took hold.

I don't see a future because I know it won't be one where I'll be content to stay, happy that i didnt ctb, work for hours and hours like everyone else but still faced with bills to pay, weary of criminals who will kill me over a phone or clothes since law enforcement is next to useless and some law enforcement is in bed with these criminals, long hrs with no power whilst watching incompetent politicians spout their lies on TV, promising a better future for all when that's just part of their agenda to stay in power, lie to poor, feed them false hope everytime and profit off of that by staying in power longer in order to empty state coffers, rinse and repeat. I don't even want to look at the horrible numbers of young people like me trying to get jobs and my mom thinks just praying for us to not struggle to get jobs like everyone else will do the trick, as if millions of other parents who are believers haven't been going to church doing the same thing every Sunday. The reality is, we are all going to struggle and I don't see that as any good reason to stay around and fight like others would suggest when I'm not the one who asked for such conditions to afflict my way and millions of other people's way of life.

I'd rather avoid any future than live to see it and most likely end up regretting i didn't ctb when I had the chance. I'd rather not leave it to chance that things will get better when that's a fucking lie I've had to live hearing about for years.

• Love
Reactions: ApathyToLife and TapeMachine
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

A born again but occasionally suicidal
Feb 13, 2022
. Short video about current economic times in US.

Reactions: BornByGhosts and TapeMachine
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
Millenials like me and Gen Zers are entering a horrible time in history to try and get a job or hit life goals that were relatively easy for baby boomers to achieve. Literally being alive everyday seems to be a punishment. Ironically if I ctbed, the insurance money would wipe out a huge chunk of my family's money woes.

That's the way the world is now; live for yourself and suffer or die to help others.
It feels like at one point it was actually survivable if you worked a lower wage job. Sure you wouldn't have your luxury home. But at least you could rent alone by just working retail. Now if you work retail, good luck. You might as well go on unemployment benefits since they pretty much both pay the same.

That's another thing that's terribly wrong. You have people with Bachelors degrees working fucking retail. If they are lazy asses who didn't put any effort in, then you can say they deserve to work retail. But no. A lot of them actually put in hardwork. Some may even have experience in their fields. But they are forced to work retail because there aren't enough jobs in their field.
Exactly. I personally would be fine if I was working a low wage job but was able to have my own condo or at least rent a room alone. I ain't delusional. Ain't expecting to have a luxury home from a low paying job. But it needs to be at least survivable.
But its not like that.

People would be a lot less stressed if they didn't have to spend every waking day worrying about how they can make ends meet despite having a degree and actual work experience.

Its gotten to a point where you basically have to be a manager to make a living wage.

Last edited:
Reactions: TapeMachine
B

bigfishlittlefish

Student
Dec 21, 2021

UNAFFORDADLE HOUSING:

JOB MARKET SUCKS:

I'm in the UK. I can't work and am stuck living on state benefits that are being actively reduced by our fucking terrible government.

autistocracy

autistocracy

angel
Dec 1, 2022
This is exactly why the suicide rate is climbing, but it gets concealed under "mental health issues". Everyone rational adult knows on some level that you can't have good mental health if you're poor, overworked, malnourished, and so on.
Something that haunts me is that video of a homeless man (not saying his name) ranting about not having food/shelter, and the response online and in the news was that he needed mental health services. It's insane.
The government and big business lets this go on because healthcare is one of the last areas of industry that actually turns a profit. Just think about how much money insurance companies and hospitals get from involuntary hospitalizations, therapy, food/lodging... If the economy wasn't shit, they would be losing out on millions.
The economy is a good 80% of why I'm going to ctb. Having a job now is basically just adult daycare, something for 18+ yr olds to do to keep us occupied. No one I know is making a living. Most of them have given up and I have too.
And don't even get me started on higher education. Like you need a fucking degree and 5 years experience to be a receptionist now. I hate this world.

Reactions: OhWellDerp321 and Deleted member 65988
P

Photographer Fizzle

Nov 18, 2023
imagine what it is like in third-world countries. If you ask politicians here, you will hear them saying this place is "developing." Make no mistake. It's third world where the minimum wage is under $1,000 while politicians make several times that. A salary of $1,700 is considered high, and I know other third world countries are worse off. I had a girlfriend in Guyana a lomg time ago.she made $150 per month working at a call center. I don't mean to minimize, but I would love to be in the US again. I took loans to get a degree there and that helped me escape my abusive family, but I couldnt stay after school. I didnt get my paperwork/job in time.
Since then, I have been unemployed and underemployed for more than seven years. I have couchsurfed. I have been actually homeless. I have seen how bad it is to be born in an awful place to terrible people without the resources to adequately nurture life.

As an aside: Abortion should be normalized and encouraged worldwide. Fuck the imaginary Gods of the world. So many people didnt want to have children, and so many of us grow up in toxic, abusive environments in part because our "families" resented our existence.

Reactions: Deleted member 65988
D

Deleted member 65988

Like you need a fucking degree and 5 years experience to be a receptionist now. I hate this world.
And where the heck you are gonna get the experience needed to be hired.
The economy is a good 80% of why I'm going to ctb. Having a job now is basically just adult daycare, something for 18+ yr olds to do to keep us occupied.
For me, it's the very degrading state of my country, which ultimately tells me that the future may not be something I want to be part of at all considering how hard people have it now and I'm not even out of school yet. Things just don't look in general

Reactions: OhWellDerp321