M

MollerPlesset

Nov 26, 2022
Dear friends,
I have a PhD in computational chemistry and have struggled to find a job in the last four years. Currently I work at Walmart to get some money and help my mental health by being active. But I hate my days off because it is when I keep applying for computational chemistry jobs. I feel so much shame of asking for recommendation letters when obviously I will not get this job as all the other 30 jobs I have applied. I cry before applying for the jobs and I cry after finishing the application process. I rather just die that to keep having to feel this pain and shame.
Thank you for listening to me.
My best wishes,
MollerPlesset

• Hugs
Reactions: landslide2, kunikuzushi, mlha and 5 others
destinationlosangel

destinationlosangel

Experienced
Feb 16, 2024
Hey I'm so sorry. You have a PhD in computational chemistry I mean you must be really intelligent. I am sure with some effort you would land a job, if that is something you're looking for. I feel sad reading what u have posted. Try to look at it this way. This is life. It is how these things work. Making requests for recommendation letters and such. You've aced a lot of tests and exams im sure, before u ultimately got ur PhD. Look at this asking for a rec letter as something like that. Just sth u have to do so u can get this job.
Wishing you all the very best! :)

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Dear friends,
I have a PhD in computational chemistry and have struggled to find a job in the last four years. Currently I work at Walmart to get some money and help my mental health by being active. But I hate my days off because it is when I keep applying for computational chemistry jobs. I feel so much shame of asking for recommendation letters when obviously I will not get this job as all the other 30 jobs I have applied. I cry before applying for the jobs and I cry after finishing the application process. I rather just die that to keep having to feel this pain and shame.
Thank you for listening to me.
My best wishes,
MollerPlesset
Is this a job you want? That's not a sarcastic question, but genuinely, do you want to work in computational chemistry? I would imagine so because you did a PhD in it, but I still feel like it's a good question to ask. Also, do you live in the US? If so, maybe give USAJobs a look, I feel like government agencies love to see a PhD in anything, but especially something as technical as computational chemistry, and it's usually a relatively relaxed environment, and job security is practically unbeatable.

Either way, I wish you the best in your job search. Don't beat yourself up too bad, the market is rough and has been for a bit now. The feds recently slashed rates down a little so it might help with hiring. Just keep your chin up and keep applying, you got this!

Reactions: kunikuzushi, Esedia and memoriesofyesterday
FadingSentinel

FadingSentinel

Sep 28, 2024
I get it, I'm in the same boat but in a different industry. Been looking for work for over a year but just nobody that's been willing to take me. And the more time passes the harder I feel like it's getting to progress further. The chance is high right now that I'm going to go for a job that wasn't what I graduated for as I recently got into contact with one. I'm still feeling really conflicted about going with it but what choice do I have at this point.

Reactions: memoriesofyesterday
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Job hunting is one of the least fun things to do.
I hope you have success soon.

Reactions: myusername890
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I get it, I'm in the same boat but in a different industry. Been looking for work for over a year but just nobody that's been willing to take me. And the more time passes the harder I feel like it's getting to progress further. The chance is high right now that I'm going to go for a job that wasn't what I graduated for as I recently got into contact with one. I'm still feeling really conflicted about going with it but what choice do I have at this point.
If it's any consolation, I feel like a large portion don't get a job in what they graduate for unless it's very specialized like nursing or something. Additionally, I know someone who majored in something pretty unrelated, can't recall exactly what but they landed a corporate job as a program coordinator, then program manager at a different company, then program manager and finally materials manager at a company making 6 figures in a low cost of living area. Your degree doesn't define you or your path and working something unrelated isn't a bad thing :)

• Love
Reactions: FadingSentinel