• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

anotherlastchance

anotherlastchance

Your never not you
Feb 3, 2024

2.8 million euros. That's how much it costs society if one person in our country commits suicide. Suicide prevention line 113 had this calculated. The organization wants more structural attention to prevention. "It's not high on the priority list right now."

Meike Baretta from 113 explains why the calculation is important. "Every year, billions are allocated to reduce the number of road deaths. This is done because it has been calculated what a road death costs society. And that is why investments are made to reduce the number and amount."

5.5 billion annually

When it comes to suicide, according to 113, too little is being done. By calculating the amount, the prevention line hopes to provide insight into what one suicide causes. Research agency Deloitte was called in to investigate this.

"After calculation, it amounts to an amount of 2.8 million euros per suicide," Baretta says. "With five suicides per day and more than 1,800 per year, you reach a total amount of 5.5 billion euros."

Direct, indirect and intangible Where does that enormous amount come from? Part of the amount comes from the direct costs after someone commits suicide: the deployment of an ambulance, police or fire brigade. A large part of the other costs are indirect and calculated because someone disappears from society. "For example, that person could have continued working and paying taxes for years," says Baretta. "They call this the 'human capital'." The last part of the amount consists of 'intangible costs': "If one person commits suicide, it affects 135 people around that person. Many surviving relatives are surprised and end up in a complex grieving process, with costs in the form of years of therapy, for example. Surviving relatives sometimes even become incapacitated

Last edited:
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

2.8 million euros. That's how much it costs society if one person in our country commits suicide. Suicide prevention line 113 had this calculated. The organization wants more structural attention to prevention. "It's not high on the priority list right now."

Meike Baretta from 113 explains why the calculation is important. "Every year, billions are allocated to reduce the number of road deaths. This is done because it has been calculated what a road death costs society. And that is why investments are made to reduce the number and amount."

5.5 billion annually

When it comes to suicide, according to 113, too little is being done. By calculating the amount, the prevention line hopes to provide insight into what one suicide causes. Research agency Deloitte was called in to investigate this.

"After calculation, it amounts to an amount of 2.8 million euros per suicide," Baretta says. "With five suicides per day and more than 1,800 per year, you reach a total amount of 5.5 billion euros."

Direct, indirect and intangible Where does that enormous amount come from? Part of the amount comes from the direct costs after someone commits suicide: the deployment of an ambulance, police or fire brigade. A large part of the other costs are indirect and calculated because someone disappears from society. "For example, that person could have continued working and paying taxes for years," says Baretta. "They call this the 'human capital'." The last part of the amount consists of 'intangible costs': "If one person commits suicide, it affects 135 people around that person. Many surviving relatives are surprised and end up in a complex grieving process, with costs in the form of years of therapy, for example. Surviving relatives sometimes even become incapacitated
Okay government give me 2 million euros and I promise not to commit suicide do we have da deal? Jokes aside I don't like economic calculations in this context. The individual will and desire should have a higher value than some numbers on a piece of paper. However one reason for suicide is often poverty, homelessness, lack of health care and in my opinion the governments should do way more to tackle the deeper roots why people commit suicide by investing more resources into it. Personally I don't believe the number is accurate but it is only my gut feeling.

hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
wow. the fact this article even exists is ridiculous; it's like something The Onion would post. does it come from a well known, reputable Dutch source?? like will ppl there take it seriously?
"For example, that person could have continued working and paying taxes for years," says Baretta. "They call this the 'human capital'."
this part was amusingly infuriating to read🧸

anotherlastchance

anotherlastchance

Your never not you
Feb 3, 2024
wow. the fact this article even exists is ridiculous; it's like something The Onion would post. does it come from a well known, reputable Dutch source?? like will ppl there take it seriously?

this part was amusingly infuriating to read🧸
Yeah it grind my gears to and this article is from a serious news provider it's a mainstream news agency

Last edited:
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Wow, they have 2.8 million to spend on each suicidal person to prevent them from ctb. Just give them cash. Many will have their problems solved and like life again. But they don't do that. They'd rather pocket the money for themselves, or waste it on suicide hotline. That's why other people have become suicidal.

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Probably depends what age the person is when they die. Someone young who hasn't had a job yet may only have taken out of the system in education etc. Someone middle aged will have paid into a state pension alongside all that tax. They may have assets worth enough to incur inheritance tax and our governments get to keep all that. A friend of a friend used to say he wanted to live as long as possible to get that money back. Lol.

If they're that troubled about wasting police resources though- then, legalise assisted suicide! Hell- you could probably even charge people for it and sell off their organs if all we're worth is money.

Legalising assisted suicide and informing families would mean it wouldn't be such a shock for them. Plus, they could be supported throughout and after the process.

Money that would have likely been spent on that person in old age and failing health can now be spent on people who want to live.

Plus- just how productive are suicidal people in society anyhow? Sure, there will be some high functioning people with ideation but, I imagine it's less common. A lot of people here are on benefits. They would probably argue that our governments would save money if they gave them their wish.

Personally, I've become very lethargic, kind of nihilistic and anti-capitalist. All not very conjusive to being a productive, subservient member of society!

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

5.5 billion annually

Maybe taxes, too? Unless you include that in "human capital" 🤷‍♀️

Kino_

Kino_

Aug 29, 2023
The reasons listed are terrible. "That person could have continued working and paid taxes for years". That's assuming the person is employed. The amount of tax they have to pay would also depend in their salary. What is the age of said person? Also, suicide affects 135 people around them? I call BS, where did this number come from? Shocking that even 10 people would be affected if I CTB.

Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
Many surviving relatives are surprised and end up in a complex grieving process, with costs in the form of years of therapy, for example. Surviving relatives sometimes even become incapacitated
Mental health enforcers:

Of course, the funeral industry would also be raking in the big bucks.

On a related note, I surmise that societies would also lose billions for every individual that refuses to procreate.

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020

5.5 billion annually

I that case, I'll offer society a deal. Give me 2.7 million euros and I won't ctb. Society will be beter off, to the tune of 0.1 million euros, and I will be better off too.