SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Semi-Professional Disappointment
Jan 16, 2020
It's not uncommon for people to use drugs as a way of escaping, or atleast distracting, from troubles we face in life.
So my question is, what drugs or substances do you use to get away from the world?

Personally, I use both Cannabis and Kratom (Mitragyna) to relax and boost my mood, aswell as cocaine on occasion.

Reactions: Ybother and puppy9
nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I just use prescription drugs (xanax, codeine and zolpidem)

Reactions: Ybother, ravergirl, I am ready and 1 other person
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Jan 16, 2020

I've never used Xanax myself, but have always been curious about its effects. What draws you to using it?

nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I've never used Xanax myself, but have always been curious about its effects. What draws you to using it?

It's basically alcohol in a pill without the nausea and vomiting,

Reactions: Fragile and SnowWhite
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
Once upon a time back after I stopped taking it regularly, I would occasionally use a strong dose of Mirtazapine to knock myself out for a while, or as a hangover cure (similar antiemetic profile to ondansetron). I was prescribed Gabapentin for a long time as well, and would sometimes take a double or triple dose of that which I found calmed my nerves. Never did either regularly though.

These days whenever I need an escape or to temporarily dissociate, I just hypnotise myself, the benefits are largely the same without any of the risk to my body.

Reactions: SnowWhite
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Jan 16, 2020
Once upon a time back after I stopped taking it regularly, I would occasionally use a strong dose of Mirtazapine to knock myself out for a while, or as a hangover cure (similar antiemetic profile to ondansetron). I was prescribed Gabapentin for a long time as well, and would sometimes take a double or triple dose of that which I found calmed my nerves. Never did either regularly though.

These days whenever I need an escape or to temporarily dissociate, I just hypnotise myself, the benefits are largely the same without any of the risk to my body.

Hypnosis has interested me in the past, but I've never actually looked into it. (always kinda assumed it wouldn't work for me as I tried meditating before without success.) What does it do for you and how does it work?

Reactions: Giraffey
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
When I was a teen, I would abuse Nyquil every now and then. I would love to try DXM, but it's dangerous because I'm on antidepressants... Mixing DXM with any antidepressant carries the risk of getting serotonin syndrome. Uh, I also tried drinking to get away from myself for a bit but it's had poor results, and alcoholism runs on both sides of the family so that's a no-no.

That pretty much leaves crappy sleeping aids like Zzzquil and melatonin, which never really work for me. I've tried weed and it hasn't done anything, but maybe another try would help. Decisions, decisions.

• Hugs
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Jan 16, 2020
When I was a teen, I would abuse Nyquil every now and then. I would love to try DXM, but it's dangerous because I'm on antidepressants... Mixing DXM with any antidepressant carries the risk of getting serotonin syndrome. Uh, I also tried drinking to get away from myself for a bit but it's had poor results, and alcoholism runs on both sides of the family so that's a no-no.

That pretty much leaves crappy sleeping aids like Zzzquil and melatonin, which never really work for me. I've tried weed and it hasn't done anything, but maybe another try would help. Decisions, decisions.

That's really rough, sorry to hear that. I've found cannabis very useful, particularly when I need to escape stress. I know a few people who have a naturally high tolerance despite rarely smoking, so it wouldn't surprise me if something similar was happening in your case.That being said, I would personally argue its worth another try.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
That's really rough, sorry to hear that. I've found cannabis very useful, particularly when I need to escape stress. I know a few people who have a naturally high tolerance despite rarely smoking, so it wouldn't surprise me if something similar was happening in your case.That being said, I would personally argue its worth another try.
I seem to have a high tolerance for most things, actually... I wonder if hypervigilance can do that, or if i'm just making shit up. But thanks, I'll definitely try it another time or two.

• Hugs
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
Hypnosis has interested me in the past, but I've never actually looked into it. (always kinda assumed it wouldn't work for me as I tried meditating before without success.) What does it do for you and how does it work?

Meditation and hypnosis are different things really. A 'trance state' brought about by hypnosis is a kind of altered state of consciousness (neurologically), but psychologically it's a state of deep relaxation. A meditative state can be equivalent to a very mild trance state (the same as if you just shut your eyes and focus on your breathing), or it can be much deeper.

Biologically speaking we're all wired up with greater or lesser degrees of susceptibility to hypnosis, and there are many different kinds. I work part-time as a hypnotherapist (so I may be slightly biased here), but I've had clients who have been very resistant to traditional forms of hypnosis, but they've found what we call snap inductions effective. You see a lot of 'snap inductions' on TV and stage shows where someone shakes hands and they're almost instantly in a trance - although stage hypnosis is much different than actual hypnotherapy hypnosis.

You can replicate most of the subjective effects of various different drugs. When I first started doing stage work back when I was about 19 I had friends coming to me and I would hypnotise them to be drunk. I had one friend who was particularly suggestible who I gave a psychedelic trip to help him brainstorm for his art class. I don't want to derail the thread too much, but you're always welcome to PM me if you want to chat about it more etc.

• Wow
Reactions: LivedTooLong, BitterlyAlive and SnowWhite
SnowWhite

SnowWhite

Jan 16, 2020
Wow, that's a very in depth reply, thank you for taking the time to write it. It'd definitely be worth atleast looking deeper into. I'll be in touch later today. (About to fit a carpet with my brother, which I'm not excited for at all lol) Once again, thank you for your response

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Meditation and hypnosis are different things really. A 'trance state' brought about by hypnosis is a kind of altered state of consciousness (neurologically), but psychologically it's a state of deep relaxation. A meditative state can be equivalent to a very mild trance state (the same as if you just shut your eyes and focus on your breathing), or it can be much deeper.

Biologically speaking we're all wired up with greater or lesser degrees of susceptibility to hypnosis, and there are many different kinds. I work part-time as a hypnotherapist (so I may be slightly biased here), but I've had clients who have been very resistant to traditional forms of hypnosis, but they've found what we call snap inductions effective. You see a lot of 'snap inductions' on TV and stage shows where someone shakes hands and they're almost instantly in a trance - although stage hypnosis is much different than actual hypnotherapy hypnosis.

You can replicate most of the subjective effects of various different drugs. When I first started doing stage work back when I was about 19 I had friends coming to me and I would hypnotise them to be drunk. I had one friend who was particularly suggestible who I gave a psychedelic trip to help him brainstorm for his art class. I don't want to derail the thread too much, but you're always welcome to PM me if you want to chat about it more etc.
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I used weed to escape from the wonderful days of 2005 only to re-emerge in this future hellscape

• Aww..
Reactions: Fragile, afternoon-exit and SnowWhite
I

ilovenightmares

Alcohol is my medication
Jul 4, 2020
I replace the word think with a drink and forget it.

Reactions: afternoon-exit and SnowWhite
ravergirl

ravergirl

Death becomes her
Jul 22, 2020
Meth brings me up; Xanax takes me down.

I'm just a dancing Yo-Yo girl with no sense of self-preservation.

Reactions: Pineapplecrown and SnowWhite
A

afternoon-exit

Always had high hopes for a living.
Jan 16, 2020
I have tried a little bit of everything, but Xanax (Benzos) is/are my go-to, and weed and Kratom as well (used to be addicted to prescription opioids). I also love Cocaine, MDMA, Ketamine and psychedelics. For the longest time I was using psychedelics and dissociatives to maybe "cure" my depression and give me a reason to live. A good trip on LSD does give me an "afterglow" for a little bit, but its not a miracle by any means. Really all of my drug abuse has made me numb and distant from my family and changed who I am in a negative way.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowWhite and ravergirl
Ybother

Ybother

Life is a lemon and I want my money back.
Jul 23, 2020
If only I could get my psychiatrist to prescribe me something that actually works. I'm on Prozac and Buspar, so now I can't abuse DXM. I still smoke weed from time to time, but it would be nice to have a benzo that works. Even better, it would be nice if they'd prescribed me Adderall for my ADHD. It's a wonder drug; helps me forget how dumb and useless I am. Oh well. It won't matter soon. ‍♀️

Reactions: SnowWhite and ravergirl