N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I've talked to an extreme anti-suicide guy. He insisted that there should be no assisted suicide. This would revalue suicide. Moreover he said people would be proud to ctb and it would becom a heroic act.
I completely disagreed. People who want to ctb are extreme stigmatized. They would be extreme losers.
However I some celebreties have gained a lot of fame due to their suicide.

aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
I do feel respect for people who had everything but chose death.

Those who had nothing and chose death look like losers to most people.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Are you a promortalist? Do you think suicide is inherently better than living. Otherwise I do not get the first type of people.
These celebs might have money but can be mentally fucked. I would not say they had everything.

Last edited:
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
Are you a promortalist? Do think suicide is inherently better than living. Otherwise I do not get the first type of people.

The first type of people I describe just admire dignity. Some people have too much dignity and self esteem to accept even the smallest form of bullshit.

Have you heard about the princess and the pea?

Reactions: 262653
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
No I do not know this story. But I think these celebrities can also have shitty lives. David Foster Wallace had 20 years severe Depression and Chester Bennington was abused as a child. They might have money and for me this would help a lot. But I would not say they did it because they have too much dignity.

Reactions: Lostandlooking and aneurysm
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Because of the grief of survivors, it will never be positive. It could be as accepted as a heart attack if people would just open their minds. Not a high probability if that either.

Reactions: Sensei
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Generally speaking I think it has negative connotations. But I think this will eventually change and it will become a positive thing. Some people do view suicide positively at least partially. For me, there is a positive element to it, in that I see it as a well-deserved 'fuck you' to the torments of life.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
The only positive thing about it is being released from whatever negative circumstances might push someone to it. Even if the suicide itself can be positive for some people, the suffering people are going through that precludes the suicide will inherently bring negative connotations. Least that's how I see it.

F

filthyrottendirty

Experienced
Feb 20, 2021
In some Asian cultures, it's honorable.

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, it's_all_a_game and Sensei
Lost10

Lost10

Feb 24, 2021
It has a negative connotation. Dying from a terminal disease where the morphine kills you so you are considered comfortable has positive connotations. People need to feel good about letting you go for it to be positive. So your suffering needs to be visible. Most of us have invisible illnesses so no one will ever understand.

Pupu

Pupu

Jan 28, 2020
I think suicide can not have positive connotation. I see suicide is mostly done because person wants to exit something negative. They might want to put on end physical misery. They might know they will die with painfull illnesses or they don't want to live old with memory problems and so on. And then there are depression and other mental illnesses aswell. Some might not identify themselves ill but they are sick of living or bored by it. I don't think there are many people who decided to kill themselves just because they had all so good at that moment (and then they would maybe be fleeing from the future when things won't be that well anymore, idk). So suicide stands for some sort of misery on someone's life that only "good" side you can find from it is that "hopefully they are not suffering anymore" and I don't think it is positive enough itself. It just means the end of the suffering, non existent because I don't believe in life after death. Some might find comfort from idea like that. But what I'm trying to say with my poor English that the act itself is not that positive, it is just an escape from a bad life.

Death itself is not pretty either. People don't naturally look like Sleeping Beaty after they're died. It is our mind who likes to think that they're resting, sleeping forever. Dead body looks aversive. That impact is negative unless you have some stuff wired wrong in your brain.

And then there are people who are left behind. Who grief for losing someone important. They might also struggle with the idea how much that person had suffered that they decided to kill themselves. They might be more close to see why people suffer, what is wrong with society or more likely with people and there is nothing they can do to fix it or bring that person back. They're perhaps left with that information but what can they do? They most likely continue living with heavier burden than they already had.

I think person has right to die if they want. Some people can think it is something honorable or even cool. Itsks a lot to really kill yourself so respect people who managed to do it. If you think how much it asks from a person really pull it throught. But I don't think that too many people actually think it that way. They might have some sort of cartoonish picture in their mind and think it is cool or something else. But if they really could have possibility to look closer to someone's life, they would start to feel sorry for the reasons they want to die. They would want to help to fix it and doesn't want to accept if it is something unfixable. And when they finally face the scene of suicide, atleast then they would see it is not something cool. It is something very sad and might make you feel "things are not okay" or sick. In that cartoonish picture you don't feel those deep feelings.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and Dr Iron Arc