Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
The answer is pretty subjective. Also, life does get better for some but at what percentage is unknown

I hate it when people say it will get better. I am sick and will never get better, I'm chronically in pain and that will never get better, I have no friends for 12 years and that will never get better, i have no girlfriend for 19 years and that will never get better, i have had a brain injury for 7 years, i am 37 but my life end at 18

Life is a series of ups and downs, highs and lows.

There are 8 Billion humans on the planet and many of them are living difficult and uncomfortable lives. There is a tension everywhere between the levels of wealth and the lies and deceptions of those who exploit others.

Everyone is born with diffrent conditions in life. You can get a rough start. Born in a poor country, growing up with an abusive parent or have some kind of handicap from birth. Or you can be feed with a silverspoon, have a supportive family or the perfect set of teeth.

One can find people in very different situations living a happy life or consider thier life to be an awful way of wasting time.

When someone consider themself to have a bad life they are often stuck in an unfavorable situation that they cannot get out of.

• Hugs
Reactions: Daxter_87, Praestat_Mori, Forever Sleep and 3 others
L

livinginhellnation

Nov 19, 2023
It doesn't get better .. you just get more desensitized to it.

Reactions: gardenfairy, Praestat_Mori, _Broken_alice and 7 others
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
I lost my hope of it getting better. This are just lies to keep us here. I can't see how it could get better.
Maybe some of us are just cursed from the beginning...

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, F@#$, carin129 and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No, and it's just ridiculous when pro-lifers continue to repeat that. As after all the reality is that as long as one exists there is no limit as to how much they could potentially suffer in this existence where chance so cruelly determines everything. And if one exists for long enough all it leads to is one being tormented by old age anyway.
All that existence is, is just undesirable and meaningless suffering, to have the ability to exist is something so futile and harmful.

It's insane to me how many deluded people see that as a good thing, I bet they won't be saying it "gets better" if they ended up suffering way more in the future. Nobody cannot guarantee they won't end up in the most extreme agony, just that is enough to make wanting to die feel very rational to me.

Reactions: Daxter_87, Praestat_Mori, Darkover and 1 other person
Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
Depends on the person's situation. For me personally, it did get better but it took a good amount of time before it did, I found myself struggling alot and getting worse before feeling better. Even now, I still seem to have suicidal tendencies and thoughts if something minor happens. I guess with time you live and you learn

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
IsThisEverything

IsThisEverything

Nov 1, 2023
People say 'it gets better' as they think it will make you more hopeful, and having hope can improve your mood. However there's no accuracy to the statement. Some people do get better, some people don't. We don't know the future. It could get better, but it could also get worse.

All we can do is make a prediction on whether things are likely to improve based on the evidence. If, like me, you've suffered for over a decade, have tried all sorts of treatments and have had no improvement, it's unlikely to get better.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and losing hope
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I wish I could meet these people that claim they have gotten better. It feels like every time I get better, I eventually get even worse. I have to wonder if these people who claim to have gotten better are just temporarily happy or if they truly have improved. I'm sure some of them are lying, but how many?

Reactions: gardenfairy and Praestat_Mori
Nanako

Nanako

Experienced
Dec 24, 2018
I tried applying that mentality for years and it's only gotten worse for me, despite my best efforts.

L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
Wherever someone says that, I think it could be true. But also not, as the Nazi's had the slogan "Arbeit macht frei" ("Work makes one free") on the entrance of Jewish concentration camps to weaponise "hope" for selfish reasons.

๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—น๐˜†

๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—น๐˜†

Deeming that I were better dead
Oct 28, 2023
For me personally - whenever something good happens or I feel too good for too long I instantly get hit with either bad low or series of bad news.
At this point I don't want things to get better. When they do it's just temporary and the aftermath is that I end up in worse place than I started in.

Reactions: Meditation guide and Praestat_Mori
figurehead

figurehead

Student
Sep 27, 2023
I suppose bits of can get better and others pull you down. People around me have learned to never say Everything will be fine.I suppose being around me has taught them the absurdity of it.

Ksmะธda

Ksmะธda

Have I died too soon or lived too long?
Oct 23, 2023
I think that it does get better in some cases, but it's still much more appealing to ctb

C

chiaseedd

Nov 16, 2023
Some people can get better. Others are simply incapable of getting better with what's currently available on our planet to help. I've tried every single possible treatment for my disease and I am still extremely sick. In other words, there is no getting better. maybe someday there will be a miracle cure, but I'm not going to keep myself suffering waiting on something that may not come.

• Hugs
TheBroken

TheBroken

What Really Matters Anymore?
Feb 13, 2022
No - luckily I have cancer. Look back ..... would you have wanted to live if you knew all the things you've already been through were coming? Really thing anything beyond just more of the same just different will come in the future. Sorry, it just is what it is unless you can will the lottery and buy a better life.

Reactions: gardenfairy, MelancholyGirl, Meditation guide and 1 other person
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Depends what you mean by better?

I know it is possible to experience true and amazing joy and highs in life. Some would class that as good.

Some people love being depressed and down.

Some people are just not fussed either way and get on with things.

I think each human has to decide for themselves what good or getting better looks like.

Anyone can really get up and crack on with life and enjoy it, some of us can't be bothered with the effort.

It's a question that cannot really be answered.

Reactions: TheBroken and Praestat_Mori
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It can get better. It can also get a whole lot worse. I agree- I hate the way that phrase is just banded about. Worse- that it is something that magically happens. That life just sorts itself out to give you the maximum chances of success and happiness. Of course- that's not impossible but- it very improbable in my view. Most things in life take massive amounts of effort and even then- things can still go badly wrong. The phrase really ought to be- 'Things could get better if you are willing to keep going and put in the work. There's a chance things could improve.' Again though- not everything can be improved. Like you say- some health conditions are incurable.

To be brutally honest- some things in our lives we could work on but we don't because it feels too frightening, too risky, too expensive. Maybe we don't want to expose ourselves to more hurt. So- you could potentially work at forming friendships and relationships again. They could make things better for you but again- they could also make you feel worse in the long run if those relationships falter. There are possibilities there but it takes a lot of effort- it won't just come to you. Health is more problematic- if doctors are saying they can do no more for you. I'm sorry.

But yeah- it's stupid just to say things will get better. I think it's more that they're sick of hearing our negativity and they want to wrap the conversation up.