P

polarbear

attention seeking bi-polar
Oct 11, 2020
i m going to start treatment for my bi-polar/bpd,is it going to make it any better? specialy the mania?

Last edited:
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
As for me and the people I know, it only gets worse and psychiatrist only give you pills to be numb and sleepy all day long.

• Aww..
Reactions: Nat.alias and polarbear
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Treatment can make it worse or better, you really just have to become a testing guinea pig and try all kinds of meds and see which ones fit. It can get better but it's hard

• Love
Reactions: polarbear, Zhontafly and WornOutLife
mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
What treatment are you going to have? I wish you luck with it. BPD is difficult, but I've heard psychotherapy can help with developing better coping mechanisms

I was initially diagnosed with bipolar, and while it might be bipolar 2, I think my symptoms fit better with Bpd (my psychiatrist alluded to this last time I saw him and he doesn't even know the full picture) - especially the extreme mood swings within a day, which even exceeds rapid cycling bipolar, and the other traits which don't fit with bipolar, although it is a spectrum. He suggested I try DBT but I really don't want the BPD label, so I kind of brushed it off. I did order a DBT workbook off Amazon and am going to give it a go now my plans to CTB are on hold at the moment. I've flicked through it and it looks like it could be helpful. I'm already on lamotrigine (a mood stabiliser) and my mum controls my meds but I don't think it's doing anything, and it wouldn't anyway if it's actually BPD and not bipolar, and I don't want to increase my dose. I've been on sertraline before but that just sent me straight into my most intense manic episode (this was after my first attempt, before they were aware I had extreme highs too). Don't give up hope, you deserve a happy life and I hope the treatment helps with a great support team. Sending love and light x

• Love
Reactions: PDAnnie2610 and polarbear
P

polarbear

Oct 11, 2020
As for me and the people I know, it only gets worse and psychiatrist only give you pills to be numb and sleepy all day long.
what mef did
What treatment are you going to have? I wish you luck with it. BPD is difficult, but I've heard psychotherapy can help with developing better coping mechanisms

I was initially diagnosed with bipolar, and while it might be bipolar 2, I think my symptoms fit better with Bpd (my psychiatrist alluded to this last time I saw him and he doesn't even know the full picture) - especially the extreme mood swings within a day, which even exceeds rapid cycling bipolar, and the other traits which don't fit with bipolar, although it is a spectrum. He suggested I try DBT but I really don't want the BPD label, so I kind of brushed it off. I did order a DBT workbook off Amazon and am going to give it a go now my plans to CTB are on hold at the moment. I've flicked through it and it looks like it could be helpful. I'm already on lamotrigine (a mood stabiliser) and my mum controls my meds but I don't think it's doing anything, and it wouldn't anyway if it's actually BPD and not bipolar, and I don't want to increase my dose. I've been on sertraline before but that just sent me straight into my most intense manic episode (this was after my first attempt, before they were aware I had extreme highs too). Don't give up hope, you deserve a happy life and I hope the treatment helps with a great support team. Sending love and light x
i just booked an psychaitrist's appointment ,i dont know what kind of treatment hes going to suggest
which med did you take?

mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
what mef did

i just booked an psychaitrist's appointment ,i dont know what kind of treatment hes going to suggest

which med did you take?
Good luck, I hope he's kind and understanding. Do you take any medication at present?

P

polarbear

Oct 11, 2020

you know i dont actually know for sure if it is bi-polar or bpd..my mood swings usually lasts for weeks

A

AndyD0209

Dec 12, 2020
Unfortunately everything related to mental illness is a long process, if you are one of the lucky ones who gets the right pills/dosages first time it will be easier as the effects of the pills will help balance u a bit more, if not, finding the right medication is a longer process but u have to hang in there!!! Unfortunately it's not one pill works all kinda thing and u will still be up and down even with the medication but don't give up! I wish you all the best!

• Love
Reactions: polarbear
mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
you know i dont actually know for sure if it is bi-polar or bpd..my mood swings usually lasts for weeks
Sounds more like bipolar if your mood swings last for weeks

My lows have always been longer lasting and more significant than my highs in general, which is why bipolar II was considered. A lot of people have both bipolar and bpd

It's really important to be open about the whole situation so they can help you best (I sound like a hypocrite)

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
it really depends on the person but i think im getting better....its difficult to say right now, im literally just coming out of a hopeless patch so maybe. i thinks its possible but with a lot of work. i actually do it all myself for the most part. even the medication. ill research what i feel i need talk it over with my psychiatrist and he hasnt said no yet, made an adjustment maybe to the dose i chose or something like that but hasnt said no.

• Love
Reactions: polarbear and mlmc045
P

polarbear

Oct 11, 2020
Good luck, I hope he's kind and understanding. Do you take any medication at present?
no i dont,i have never even told anyone about my problems until couple days ago...i really didnt want to accept that i have mental health issues but the situation is so bad now i just had to ask for help
Sounds more like bipolar if your mood swings last for weeks

My lows have always been longer lasting and more significant than my highs in general, which is why bipolar II was considered. A lot of people have both bipolar and bpd

It's really important to be open about the whole situation so they can help you best (I sound like a hypocrite)
you definitely dont sound like a hypocrite,sharing what youve benn through is giving me corouge
it really depends on the person but i think im getting better....its difficult to say right now, im literally just coming out of a hopeless patch so maybe. i thinks its possible but with a lot of work. i actually do it all myself for the most part. even the medication. ill research what i feel i need talk it over with my psychiatrist and he hasnt said no yet, made an adjustment maybe to the dose i chose or something like that but hasnt said no.
i feel like ,if i can only control my manic phase i can have a much better life
i heard lithium works best for mania? is it true?

Last edited:
A

AndyD0209

Dec 12, 2020

I did DBT for six months before I had to move country and it was the best thing!! Unfortunately I don't have anything like it here but if you have the chance to get into the program or just follow the book, please give it a go. Unfortunately for me having just the book, without the group support it's not the same, but it does teach you how to regulate your emotions, talks about distress tolerance, just makes understanding yourself better. But you have to put into practice all these skills you are thought into practice all the time, until it becomes second nature....unfortunately I find it really hard on my own and super overwhelming, I guess it a question of willpower

mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
no i dont,i have never even told anyone about my problems until couple days ago...i really didnt want to accept that i have mental health issues but the situation is so bad now i just had to ask for help

you definitely dont sound like a hypocrite,sharing what youve benn through is giving me corouge

i feel like ,if i can only control my manic phase i can have a much better life
i heard lithium works best for mania? is it true?
Fair enough. Sorry life has been so crap to bring you to this point. You are so brave for accessing help, you deserve to get better!! Keep us updated

I've heard lithium can be helpful for mania

• Love
P

polarbear

Oct 11, 2020
I did DBT for six months before I had to move country and it was the best thing!! Unfortunately I don't have anything like it here but if you have the chance to get into the program or just follow the book, please give it a go. Unfortunately for me having just the book, without the group support it's not the same, but it does teach you how to regulate your emotions, talks about distress tolerance, just makes understanding yourself better. But you have to put into practice all these skills you are thought into practice all the time, until it becomes second nature....unfortunately I find it really hard on my own and super overwhelming, I guess it a question of willpower
what is DBT?

mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
Glad it helped you! Sorry you can't access it anymore :( A group setting might be good for me

I haven't even started the exercises in the book and I've had it for weeks. I am a wimp and it definitely is about willpower, which I lack. Going to take it a step at a time, a page at a time and try my hardest (sometimes starting is the hardest bit, but maintaining is also difficult and using techniques in the moment)
what is DBT?
It's a type of therapy

A

AndyD0209

Dec 12, 2020
Glad it helped you! Sorry you can't access it anymore :( A group setting might be good for me

I haven't even started the exercises in the book and I've had it for weeks. I am a wimp and it definitely is about willpower, which I lack. Going to take it a step at a time, a page at a time and try my hardest (sometimes starting is the hardest bit, but maintaining is also difficult and using techniques in the moment)

It's a type of therapy

That is why group therapy works best with DBT...on your own it's not the same...

Reactions: mlmc045
mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
That is why group therapy works best with DBT...on your own it's not the same...
I hear you! Are you getting any support at the moment in any form? I think one to one DBT would be very intense

A

AndyD0209

Dec 12, 2020
I hear you! Are you getting any support at the moment in any form? I think one to one DBT would be very intense
Nope, no help, just the pills and they are not enough...I see u are on setraline as well...seems to be the norm....

mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
Nope, no help, just the pills and they are not enough...I see u are on setraline as well...seems to be the norm....
I'm a message away if you ever want to chat. I WISH I was still on sertraline but it sent me straight into full blown mania on the lowest dose and then I wasn't allowed it or any anti-depressants again :(

A

AndyD0209

Dec 12, 2020
Are u getting support at home? U mention your mum in your post, does she understand u? Does she get it? I didn't have that...just got the usual...just snap out of it for god's sake...

mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
Are u getting support at home? U mention your mum in your post, does she understand u? Does she get it? I didn't have that...just got the usual...just snap out of it for god's sake...
They don't understand at all and are terrified of me since my first attempt. They were very dismissive up til that point and have been so worried since. They want to be supportive, but sometimes they are so unhelpful. She controls my meds now because I overdosed on lorazepam once and ended up in hospital unfortunately (I was just trying to sleep off some bad intrusive thoughts and checked that dose wouldn't kill me but when I woke up the next day I was completely out of it)

• Love
Reactions: AndyD0209
A

AndyD0209

Dec 12, 2020
Yep....I get it, when it becomes so overwhelming u just need to be out of it, coz there's no other way u can cope with how or what u r feeling. I do it as well...diazepam...unfortunately last time was with alcohol as well....that did not work well at all, sent me in full blown mania!!! I try my best to stay positive, to be in a rational mind rather than emotional as I tend to but it's sooooooo hard!! U know, I try not to judge ppl but when I hear someone say...yeah man I had such a shitty day...tennis was cancelled and my car run out of patrol, it was awful....kinda makes me feel I have no chance to fight my battles...

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
for me its mostly been correcting the way i think, im still messing with medication to get mood swings and such under control

Reactions: mlmc045
mlmc045

mlmc045

Dec 6, 2020
Yep....I get it, when it becomes so overwhelming u just need to be out of it, coz there's no other way u can cope with how or what u r feeling. I do it as well...diazepam...unfortunately last time was with alcohol as well....that did not work well at all, sent me in full blown mania!!! I try my best to stay positive, to be in a rational mind rather than emotional as I tend to but it's sooooooo hard!! U know, I try not to judge ppl but when I hear someone say...yeah man I had such a shitty day...tennis was cancelled and my car run out of patrol, it was awful....kinda makes me feel I have no chance to fight my battles...
Sorry to hear that :(

that's so interesting that diazepam sent you into mania because normally it's used as an add-on to treat symptoms of manic episodes!

you are strong and can fight your battles! I believe in you ❤️

A

AndyD0209

Dec 12, 2020
Sorry to hear that :(

that's so interesting that diazepam sent you into mania because normally it's used as an add-on to treat symptoms of manic episodes!

you are strong and can fight your battles! I believe in you ❤️
Tks for your kind words, all the best to u too

fixitinpost

fixitinpost

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Oct 20, 2020
Very anecdotal, but... my ex-domestic partner had a BPD diagnosis. And while I admit I only know as much about BPD as I managed to read up on, she seemed to have come a long way in many respects. She used to do a lot of serious harm to herself, but the few times she cut herself during our relationship it weren't the deep, flesh-exposing cuts she used to do. She said she couldn't bring herself to do those anymore. And it didn't seem to be affecting her ability to work or study like it had before. While most of the interpersonal relationship, mood and self-control aspects of it were there, in the textbooks everything somehow always sounded a lot worse. I don't know how it used to be. Never seemed like a thing to bring up.

Sorry for the long-windedness of my post. I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I do think it's very much possible with the right treatment. I hope that you'll find what you need to improve things for you. Just starting treatment is a huge and courageous step forward. Wish you all the best :hug: .

• Love
Reactions: polarbear, mlmc045 and AndyD0209