violetday

violetday

🖤
Nov 30, 2022
I love books. Pretty much anything. Fantasy, thriller, mystery, absolutely soul crushing sad books, even a few romance. It helps me escape sometimes. I don't see anyone ever post about books. Wondering if there is thread for this that I'm missing? Or maybe no one else likes to read? Anyway.. if you do read, I'm Always looking for new suggestions. What are you reading or have read?

• Yay!
Reactions: TCotton, Source Energy, Rocinante and 9 others
TraurigerClown

TraurigerClown

Dec 13, 2022
Hello! Nice to see another Bookworm.
Like you, im often fleeing into books, cuz there you can be someone else and push some other thoughts away while reading.
I´m into older Books or Thrillers and Horror.
Right now i am reading Avalon from Marion Zimmer Bradley and next Book will be Anna Karanina from Tolstoj for the third Time.

Reactions: Rocinante, solaceshoes_., Susannah and 1 other person
Upvote 0
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
The question is, who reads? 0:40

• Yay!
Reactions: Rocinante and violetday
Upvote 0
violetday

violetday

🖤
Nov 30, 2022
Hello! Nice to see another Bookworm.
Like you, im often fleeing into books, cuz there you can be someone else and push some other thoughts away while reading.
I´m into older Books or Thrillers and Horror.
Right now i am reading Avalon from Marion Zimmer Bradley and next Book will be Anna Karanina from Tolstoj for the third Time.
Thank you 😊 I have had the Avalon books on my tbr for a while. I can't say I've heard of Anna Karanina but I will definitely check it out.

Reactions: Rocinante
Upvote 0
TraurigerClown

TraurigerClown

Dec 13, 2022
Thank you 😊 I have had the Avalon books on my tbr for a while. I can't say I've heard of Anna Karanina but I will definitely check it out
I love all the Books and Stories about Avalon :)
And believe me, Anna Karenina is one of the greatest Books ive ever read

Reactions: Source Energy and Rocinante
Upvote 0
TypeDef_End_Bye

TypeDef_End_Bye

Nov 16, 2022
Chinese Novel Reader here.
Cultivating to the heavens sound amazing

Upvote 0
LivideLamb

LivideLamb

I'm so decaying, feeling like an ashtray
Jan 5, 2020
I've read a hell of a lot of politics books lately. And by lately I mean for more than a year now, and in the end, I didn't find as much joy by just reading all of those "intellectual" books so I came to the conclusion that to add more joy into my readings, I should start reading novels once again. I've been reading a lot of books by Jean Teulé (french author) lately. And I'm currently reading "Le magasin des Suicide" "The suicide store" by Jean Teulé.

Reactions: Rocinante, Ineedtodie and violetday
Upvote 0
U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
I value the times where I was able to consistently escape into a book but unfortunately the thing that keeps me from doing it these days is not being able to focus. I think that it is a great hobby for the less dissonant times in my life but is just so inaccessible to me most of the time considering that it doesn't sufficiently distract from the bad feelings that reside in my brain. This is probably because of the meditative nature of reading.

That being said, I do have a decent sized collection of books, about half manga and half various non-fiction titles.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, whatevs, beyondbreath and 5 others
Upvote 0
R

Red-Eyed-and-Blue

Dec 27, 2022
I'm currently reading Chip War by Chris Miller. It's a history of the semiconductor industry and it's current role in geopolitics. It's fascinating and very readable. If you're into tech, politics, China-US-Taiwan relations, I can recommend enough.

Upvote 0
violetday

violetday

🖤
Nov 30, 2022
I value the times where I was able to consistently escape into a book but unfortunately the thing that keeps me from doing it these days is not being able to focus. I think that it is a great hobby for the less dissonant times in my life but is just so inaccessible to me most of the time considering that it doesn't sufficiently distract from the bad feelings that reside in my brain. This is probably because of the meditative nature of reading.

That being said, I do have a decent sized collection of books, about half manga and half various non-fiction titles.
Your post really hit home. ❤️ For me It hurts so much to get so consumed in my own thoughts and not even be able to look at a book I once found so much joy in reading. I fear at some point I wont be able to escape into a book anymore… I hope that if and when that time comes it will be near my turn to ctb.
I'm currently reading Chip War by Chris Miller. It's a history of the semiconductor industry and it's current role in geopolitics. It's fascinating and very readable. If you're into tech, politics, China-US-Taiwan relations, I can recommend enough.
I just read the description and a few reviews on this one. You said it was readable and the reviews also mentioned it flowed nice. I know some books such as this can run a million directions. It definitely drew me in. Plan on reading this one soon. Thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, TraurigerClown and Unending
Upvote 0
Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
I'm on last chapter rereading The Iliad. Thank the gods we have Homer.

Upvote 0
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
Don't forget the Odyssey and the Aeneid.

I love books. Pretty much anything. Fantasy, thriller, mystery, absolutely soul crushing sad books, even a few romance. It helps me escape sometimes. I don't see anyone ever post about books. Wondering if there is thread for this that I'm missing? Or maybe no one else likes to read? Anyway.. if you do read, I'm Always looking for new suggestions. What are you reading or have read?
What book are you reading?
Who is your favorite philosopher? (There are some books listed in this thread.)
Favorite books? What are you reading? (There are some other books listed in this thread.)

Reactions: Rocinante and Rainy_days
Upvote 0
J

Jadzia

Name is from Star Trek. I'm not from E. Europe
May 8, 2019
I posted about audio books not long ago. Due to illness and disability I am unable to read books but devour audio books. I'm bedbound and spend many hours a day listening to books.

Favourite genres are sci-fi/fantasy and crime fiction. I'm currently listening to Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

Reactions: Rocinante and LookingOverTheEdge
Upvote 0
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
I read a lot. Actually studied literature for 2 years at university. Fortunately, I'm done with the heavy classics "everyone should read" (Anna Karenina and Crime and Punishment). Russian literature is much more demanding than fantasy and crime fiction.

I would like to use this thread to recommend a book by Andrew Solomon, "The noonday demon". One of the very best non-fiction books I've read. It's about depression, but written very personal. Even though the book is quite thick, his language is easy to read.

Lots of LoveS

Upvote 0
redhousepainters

redhousepainters

Dec 15, 2022
Used to but cannot nowadays with so debilitated and fatigued a mind.

• Hugs
Reactions: Seaghost, Rocinante, beyondbreath and 1 other person
Upvote 0
LookingOverTheEdge

LookingOverTheEdge

Hello Darkness my old friend
Jul 13, 2020
14 books in the last two weeks. It's one of the few things that actually distracts me from the things going on in my head. Although even that seems to be failing now.

If anyones interested, all fourteen were from the 'disc world' series by Terry Pratchett. Which I can't recommend enough. I noticed a poster above is listening to Wyrd Sisters, that's next on my list.

Also Terry Pratchett himself was a very interesting guy. Fought for the right to Euthanasia in his last years.

• Wow
Reactions: rationaltake, whatevs and Rocinante
Upvote 1
R

Rocinante

Enlightened
Aug 26, 2022
14 books in the last two weeks. It's one of the few things that actually distracts me from the things going on in my head. Although even that seems to be failing now.

If anyones interested, all fourteen were from the 'disc world' series by Terry Pratchett. Which I can't recommend enough. I noticed a poster above is listening to Wyrd Sisters, that's next on my list.

Also Terry Pratchett himself was a very interesting guy. Fought for the right to Euthanasia in his last years.
Amazing book count in two weeks. Admiring. I have read a quarter of that since I graduated school.

Upvote 0
LookingOverTheEdge

LookingOverTheEdge

Hello Darkness my old friend
Jul 13, 2020
Amazing book count in two weeks. Admiring. I have read a quarter of that since I graduated school.
I'm ashamed to say that it's more in two weeks than in the two years prior. Reading was always one of my great talents. I was able to 'scan' read at great speed from a young age, and an active imagination let me really experience the world as I read through it.

Sadly as I said, at this point in my depression, I find myself having read three or four pages and not having taken any of it in, as my mind wanders into darker places. That to me is alien, and very sad indeed.

Upvote 0
Monkeyman

Monkeyman

Dec 27, 2022
I used to read a lot when I was younger. In my school days I'd spend a lot of time in the school library reading, mostly books from my country. Reading was relaxing and gave me an escape from the pressure of studying and being bullied. Then when I was in my teens, my dad sometimes brought in books he borrowed from work colleagues or got as gifts and I'd be the first to read them. I think I ended up reading mostly suspense, sometimes romance. I also liked collections of short stories.

Sadly I lost my aptitude to read books over the years, I don't even know how or why exactly. Like HarmedVessel above, a lot of it has to do with losing focus and getting lost in bad thoughts that get in the way of reading. I don't even remember what was the last book I read, though it was probably a biography since it's what I was getting into some time ago.

Upvote 0
T

throwawayyy

Jun 21, 2022
I've been reading spiritual self help books in a last ditch attempt to find something to help. It works for a bit so I try to listen to audiobooks whenever I can.

Upvote 0
B

BGooG

Aug 26, 2022
I like sci-fi and fantasy. One of my favorite authors - Guy Gabriel Kay. I'd read anything he wrote, but if you're new to him then start with the Fionavar Tapestry. Extremely well-written fantasy. Another favorite author - Jim Butcher. I'd read the Dresden files (do them in order). The former are long reads, the latter are short and can be knocked off in an afternoon.

Upvote 0
ButterflyDream

ButterflyDream

Jan 5, 2023
I got into reading comics in 2022. I used to be a complete bookworm when I was a kid, but not so much as an adult. It may not be traditional literature, but who cares? Reading is reading, and I really enjoy comics even if it's a bit expensive.

Reactions: TCotton, rationaltake and Rocinante
Upvote 0
beyondbreath

beyondbreath

Nov 19, 2019
Reading is one of my favourite things but with really bad circumstances lately I stopped for about two months. I'm slowly getting back into it, my friend gave me lots of manga which is really helping and I'm also reading a Stephen King short story collection. For any of you who love to read but your struggles make focusing hard, manga, graphic novels, and short stories are a great way to get back into the groove

Upvote 0
D

dogthebenzohunter

Jan 5, 2023
NOFX - The hepatitis bathtub and other stories.

Really great book even my mother enjoyed it and she's never listened to the band

Upvote 0
W

Whistea

Jul 29, 2022
I wouldn't call myself a huge bookworm, but I definitely do enjoy a good book every now and then. I mostly read classics in the past, but lately I've switched over to fantasy/sci-fi books, especially if they have horror, psychological and philosophical elements. Currently reading Solaris by Stanislaw Lem and it's really fucking good.

Upvote 0
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I don't read the amount of books that l used to 15/20yrs ago but do still grab the occasional novel, mainly Philip K Dick/Richard Layman/David Gemmel/Pier's Anthony, and my favourite author Robert R McCammon.

Attachments

• 1673193111128.jpg
    1673193111128.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Rocinante and whatevs
Upvote 0
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Yeah, I used to read tons and I'm reigniting that wonderful cope. I'm reading "No Beast So Fierce" by Edward Bunker, it has that clean and to the point style I like about North Americans from the 20th century. As a bonus, he writes in the book about something he was, a professional criminal.

Edward_Bunker.jpg

Someone has to carry that flame. I couldn't finish The Count of Montecristo recently. The further back you go the dimmer the light for me. Although in terms of ideas, they can be rescued, the style is almost always abstruse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celerity and Rocinante
Upvote 0
Kurushii

Kurushii

Student
Jan 14, 2023
I love the disc world! I only finished Mort although Reaper Man and Soul Music are on my shelf. I haven't gotten around to reading them because I'm still reading 1984 (Which I've been borrowing from someone since like Halloween)

I haven't tried too many genres, but I think horror is my favourite 🥰

Reactions: rationaltake and Rocinante
Upvote 0
IDontLikeMyself

IDontLikeMyself

Nov 8, 2022
I also love to read! Have already read 6 books this year. It´s my way of living through other people cause I don´t like to be in the "real world" I guess.

Reactions: TCotton, rationaltake and Rocinante
Upvote 0
F

ferny

Dec 14, 2021
I often listen to audiobooks, as I can't really focus on reading :') tbh i prefer literature that deals with problems similar to my own, so i never really use it to escape anything - rather i sometimes just worsen my own mood. but idk, i feel like it helps me deal with how i feel when i see some ambigious feeling and experiences i have being put into words

Upvote 0