raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
I was wondering what some people think my options are here, how do I go about being signed off work forever.

I can't do it guys, I thought I could but I'm weak.

Of course money makes the world go around , but I cannot work, its final. I wake sweating, crying, sometimes screaming. I'm threating every morning. I can't carry on yet I'm in fear of no money.

Should I go the doctors, is it just a note you need? I ask if anyone knows my first step. I'm embarrassed, really. I feel lazy or wrong. It's none of that, I'm far from lazy. I think I've been suffering from Derealisation. I can't physically or mentally work because of this. *edit. I truly feel detached from people or certain situations I cannot do it anymore.

What is the process to getting signed off of work for good. Does anyone here know?

Thank you so much for reading btw if you do. Ty ty
:heart:

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Dead
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Go to the doctor. They will tell you what to do.

• Love
Reactions: raindrops
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
Go to the doctor. They will tell you what to do.
True, that's it isn't it. Very embarrassed. For me anyway. Admitting this weakness, it is and isn't. Every one around me seems so normal and together.

Was hoping someone here had a story or similar situation personally. If anyone has it'd be nice to see how they got the break they deserved. Understandably it can be hard to talk about.

WadeingThru

WadeingThru

Experienced
Feb 25, 2022
If anyone has it'd be nice to see how they got the break they deserved.
Sorry I'm mo help. I've been dragging my ass into everyday. I don't even get a chance to use all my vacation every year. My employer does not cash out the unused vacation. It's use it or lose it. I dream of becoming a bum and getting out of this rat race. But I'm scared. I don't think I would survive without the comforts of home. So I continue to work and pay my bills. Treading water. Raises don't keep up with inflation. House is falling apart but not enough money to make repairs. Yet the property taxes keep rising because the housing market is booming. Life seems like a repetitive ass whooping that does not stop. I should have done better in school and got a better job. Hindsight is a mother F'er! Should have listened to my parents and other elders. Less partying and more studying would have been the thing to do. Should have invested time into a meaningful relationship, maybe then I would have some to suffer through this shit with. But who knows? I've seen a lot of friend in great relationships not make it. Every time I see what I thought was a great relationship breakup I feel like I saved myself a lot of trouble and heart ache. Maybe I should stop working so hard and start coasting through. Checking out of the work force sounds like a good idea but then what would I do all day everyday. It cost money to go out and do things and have fun. Stressed and depressed working but also afraid I will be stressed and depressed if I can not pay my bills. And I do want to disappoint my family by becoming a piece of shit bum. The feeling of treading water in life and not getting ahead is depressing. Why do I work so hard when I know I'm not gaining any ground. It can be a cruel world.

Sorry for high jacking your thread. I needed to vent a little.

• Hugs
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I understand. It's awful. I've been there.

As for practicalities the first step is to go to your GP and get a Fit Note. You get signed off work.

What you actually get paid depends on your job. Employers often have schemes where you get paid your usual amount for a certain period of time.

Once the specified period of time expires or if they don't have a scheme you can get Statutory Sick Pay.

Once Statutory Sick Pay expires you can apply for Employment and Support Allowance.

I am now on Employment and Support Allowance and permanently signed off work. I don't function as a human being at all.

I was working part-time until I was furloughed in March 2020. I got so bad that I was unable to go back to work when furlough ended in October 2020 and I haven't worked since.

What helped me was applying for Personal Independence Payment before I got to the stage of applying for Employment and Support Allowance.

You can apply for Personal Independence Payment whatever your circumstances. You can be working or not. Your income is not taken into account. You just need to have a disability.

The Citizens Advice Bureau helped me complete the Personal Independence Payment form and later the Employment and Support Allowance form.

You can get Personal Independence Payment for physical and or mental conditions. You need to fulfill certain criteria but it's worth checking.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Take care. I know how bad it can be. I have mainly mental health conditions.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: raindrops, whatevs and Smart No More
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Sorry I'm mo help. I've been dragging my ass into everyday. I don't even get a chance to use all my vacation every year. My employer does not cash out the unused vacation. It's use it or lose it. I dream of becoming a bum and getting out of this rat race. But I'm scared. I don't think I would survive without the comforts of home. So I continue to work and pay my bills. Treading water. Raises don't keep up with inflation. House is falling apart but not enough money to make repairs. Yet the property taxes keep rising because the housing market is booming. Life seems like a repetitive ass whooping that does not stop. I should have done better in school and got a better job. Hindsight is a mother F'er! Should have listened to my parents and other elders. Less partying and more studying would have been the thing to do. Should have invested time into a meaningful relationship, maybe then I would have some to suffer through this shit with. But who knows? I've seen a lot of friend in great relationships not make it. Every time I see what I thought was a great relationship breakup I feel like I saved myself a lot of trouble and heart ache. Maybe I should stop working so hard and start coasting through. Checking out of the work force sounds like a good idea but then what would I do all day everyday. It cost money to go out and do things and have fun. Stressed and depressed working but also afraid I will be stressed and depressed if I can not pay my bills. And I do want to disappoint my family by becoming a piece of shit bum. The feeling of treading water in life and not getting ahead is depressing. Why do I work so hard when I know I'm not gaining any ground. It can be a cruel world.

Sorry for high jacking your thread. I needed to vent a little.
Make your own thread. Divide your wall of text into smaller paragraphs.

F

Forever Dead

Student
Mar 5, 2022
I was wondering what some people think my options are here, how do I go about being signed off work forever.

I can't do it guys, I thought I could but I'm weak.

Of course money makes the world go around , but I cannot work, its final. I wake sweating, crying, sometimes screaming. I'm threating every morning. I can't carry on yet I'm in fear of no money.

Should I go the doctors, is it just a note you need? I ask if anyone knows my first step. I'm embarrassed, really. I feel lazy or wrong. It's none of that, I'm far from lazy. I think I've been suffering from Derealisation. I can't physically or mentally work because of this. *edit. I truly feel detached from people or certain situations I cannot do it anymore.

What is the process to getting signed off of work for good. Does anyone here know?

Thank you so much for reading btw if you do. Ty ty
:heart:
Derealization is often bizzarre and terrifying, I have been suffering from this as well as epidodes of derealization. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. A friend of my nephew has had to stop working due to physical problems. I asked him what the procedure is, and this is what you have to do: What you need to do is get a sicknote from your doctor and take the note into the local jobcentre. They will send the note via their internal mail system to the right department. You then have to fill out a a ESA 50 form. Either get one from the jobcentre, or fill one out online at the gov.uk website. You will then recieve an appointment to have a work capability assesment. But remember that you MUST keep sending sicknores to the dwp until you have got the results back from your medical.You will need to score at least 15 points when filling out your esa 50 form. So tell them every little thing that you are suffering, and how much the illness affects you. Hugs.

Last edited:
  • Love
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Take care. I know how bad it can be. I have mainly mental health
Thank you so much.

This has helped me open my eyes. It does seem like a long process (?) That didn't sound like a quick "Oh k, here's the money"

I'm venting now but trying to word is hard but here I go....

•I have been off work for almost 12 months *since June 2021

•I went back to work February 28th this year.
(everyone at work was distant towards me, felt unfair considering I was signed off from the doctor)

•The day I went back I woke worried, sweating out. (I thought this may be normal)

•i go to work, new manager, the manager proceeds to tell me how she hates spots on her face but loves spots on her top - she's talking about a polka dot top but somehow gets on to spots on the face. Then talking about her nails - this all been said like she is some sort of 'Mean Girl' acting plastic and fake. Yuck. I can't take it at this point I feel like I'm floating! Like there's no ground, like nothing is real and this is a dream. I have to be dreaming.

•they have put me on 0 hours because of the Occupational Health suggesting I take it easy, so my contract apparently wasn't honoured and they changed it to 0 hours.
This scared me, oh sh*t how will I pay bills?

•after 10 years of working there I apply for another job and I got it only last week. I have been there 3 days and already I feel like how I was on part time hours.

It scares me the DLA or DVLA or HMRC I dunno, because it's a responsibility. Which will have to be seen through if I want support obviously. Sometimes though, I feel like I'm only 12 years old, vulnerable, scared, need an adult. It's a real feeling - sometimes I don't feel like an adult at all.

I'm scared of the journey to making them believe I am disabled through my mental health. Although I feel I am, getting through them must of been nerve-racking in some ways? Especially since you had worked so hard. I just feel like people will think I'm lazy, a bum... you know the words they call people on benefits.

Frightening.
Make your own thread. Divide your wall of text into smaller paragraphs.
Whatevs honestly I'm the wall of text person.
I have no other way to express myself other than type away. I love long posts and please if you ever wanna do a long post I'd read it. I love it.

Oh please read my long posts if you can I beg lol, this community is everything to me!!! I'm just here but nowhere, I'm no one's friend and I'll be everyone's friend So thank you for reading ❤

***The saddest part of my story here imo honestly was after 10 years of working with them I get no leaving card.

When I arrived at work that day the manager; I have known longer (not the polka dot manager lmao)
she said to me - "have you signed Anons card?"
There was another person leaving and I'd worked with this lady who was also leaving, I knew her, athough I had worked there longer than this lady at 4 days a week for the past 10 years I worked!

The lady leaving who got a card worked 1 day a week, as she had her own shop!!!
But she got a fkn leaving card!!!!!! I work 10 yrs and get nothing!! I want out of this world sometimes. FYI I acted normal around them, they would of thought I was all okay, no health issues. Sad to think.
😥
Derealization is often bizzarre and terrifying, I have been suffering from this as well as epidodes of derealization. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. A friend of my nephew has had to stop working due to physical problems. I asked him what the procedure is, and this is what you have to do: What you need to do is get a sicknote from your doctor and take the note into the local jobcentre. They will send the note via their internal mail system to the right department. You then have to fill out a a ESA 50 form. Either get one from the jobcentre, or fill one out online at the gov.uk website. You will then recieve an appointment to have a work capability assesment. But remember that you MUST keep sending sicknores to the dwp until you have got the results back from your medical.You will need to score at least 15 points when filling out your esa 50 form. So tell them every little thing that you are suffering, and how much the illness affects you. Hugs.
Hugs hugs hugs, thank you. It makes sense that this requires honesty and input.

Today I have a doctors appointment 😁😬

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
Thank you so much.

This has helped me open my eyes. It does seem like a long process (?) That didn't sound like a quick "Oh k, here's the money"

Today I have a doctors appointment 😁😬
You're very welcome.

It is a long process. The first step is the Fit Note for your employer.

I hope the appointment goes ok.
I can't take it at this point I feel like I'm floating! Like there's no ground, like nothing is real and this is a dream. I have to be dreaming.
I have a dissociative disorder as well as other mental health conditions. I understand.

Last edited:
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Be aggressive, rude and violent. Willing to intimidate physically or psychologically.
Have nothing whatsoever wrong with you're health.
Have a big family who the doctor knows will make life difficult for them if they don't help you.
Be willing to make up lies about your genuinely sick peers to give the social an excuse to cut their money.

That's the only way you get help in this sick society.

You'll rarely find a doctor that actually has genuine empathy and wants to help you get the support you need
You could be in agony with a flesh eating cancer with months to live and the gp will tell you how fortunate you are and make out you're stupid for not agreeing with them that getting back to work on double shift will help you recover and feel comforted.

Reactions: Forever Dead
F

Forever Dead

Student
Mar 5, 2022
Be aggressive, rude and violent. Willing to intimidate physically or psychologically.
Have nothing whatsoever wrong with you're health.
Have a big family who the doctor knows will make life difficult for them if they don't help you.
Be willing to make up lies about your genuinely sick peers to give the social an excuse to cut their money.

That's the only way you get help in this sick society.

You'll rarely find a doctor that actually has genuine empathy and wants to help you get the support you need
You could be in agony with a flesh eating cancer with months to live and the gp will tell you how fortunate you are and make out you're stupid for not agreeing with them that getting back to work on double shift will help you recover and feel comforted.
So true. Doctors are just legalised drug pushers who get paid lots of money from big pharma to give us meds that often do not work very well, or do more harm than good. I have changed Doctors several times because of their arrogance and uncaring attitude. I told one particular Doctor that my depersonalization was becoming worse. His reply was " what are you doing about it ? "

Reactions: TooConscious