nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I have a family and hate them. It includes my parents and extended family. I only respect them out of not wanting to be homeless but otherwise, i couldn't care less about them. We're constantly fighting all the time. I've noticed there are a few reasons why people have more conflict with familial relationships than other type of relationships.

1. Random Personalities - People are born into families they didn't choose and have to put up with the personalities of their relatives. In other relationships like romantic relationships and friendships, people seek out those with similar or non-clashing personalities and this explains obviously why they get along.

2. Power Imbalance - In parent-child relationships, there is an inherent power imbalance at play. Socially speaking, parents are authority figures ans children have to obey them regardless of whether they're being unreasonable/totally wrong on something (i.e no back-talk). With this in mind, it's easy to see why parents and children fight constantly. This is very different in romantic relationships and friendships where people are on par with each other in terms of respect and listening to the other.

3. Social Stigma of Leaving - I suppose even with the two above, romantic relationships and friendships are not immune from severe conflict. The thing is however, it's socially acceptable to call it quits when it comes to the relationship. The same can't be said for a familial relationship. People feel obligated to remain with shitty parents, siblings, aunts because "their family"

• Aww..
Reactions: alice-in-wonderland, DyslexicForeigner, Meowkin and 4 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I only really get along with my brother. My uncles and I don't talk. My parents are hot and cold, so it's like walking on eggshells. My other brother is horrible and we haven't talked to him in years.

Reactions: PrettyMoose
PrettyMoose

PrettyMoose

Eat my arse, Pain&Sh*tness & Mindf*ckitation Grift
Mar 1, 2020
Yeah, me and my family are very different, and we clash when those differences become apparent. I feel like they don't respect that I'm different than them. Regardless of how many disagreements we've had, they still seem shocked when I voice anything different from what they think, like they just continuously assume that I'm the same as them. It really is frustrating. I have to remain silent in order to keep the peace, and I really only do so in order to not be homeless, as you stated in your post. I feel like they've never cared enough about me mentally to try and understand why we're different, I've just been expected to fall in line. They'll surely still not understand me after my death so I wonder if I should even bother leaving a note. My exit will be misinterpreted either way, no matter if I leave no note or the most detailed note possible.

Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
my family doesn't get along all that well. it can be pretty frustrating.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
Only ever gotten along with my mum, and my grandma. The rest of my family, both sides, I could not see again and not particularly care. Totally different people to me, outlooks and whatnot, ultra Conservative and very mundane as a whole. The typical 2.2 children, semi detached house, sensible car, holidays in August type people.

Reactions: PrettyMoose
T

Tuumii

Worthless trash
Jan 26, 2020
I was born and raised in Tennessee, majority of my mother's side are typical deranged, religious bigots. I have PTSD from my mother emotionally abusing me as a child. My father's side are less deranged, and more accepting, but not of trans people. They believe they are all mentally ill.

So, I wasn't very lucky with my family, I wasn't very lucky with really anything in life to be frank. I guess that's just how life is. You're lucky or you aren't.. I wish I had a loving, supportive family, I believe I would be happy then.

• Hugs
Reactions: alice-in-wonderland and Meowkin
StillWaiting

StillWaiting

Need cats to comfort me
Jul 28, 2018
I don't get along with anyone in my family.
No one truly cares about one another in a emotional level.
My parents think that children should always do what they say because they give birth to them? It gets frustrating when I don't share the same view

• Aww..
Reactions: DyslexicForeigner and Meowkin
nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I was born and raised in Tennessee, majority of my mother's side are typical deranged, religious bigots. I have PTSD from my mother emotionally abusing me as a child. My father's side are less deranged, and more accepting, but not of trans people. They believe they are all mentally ill.

So, I wasn't very lucky with my family, I wasn't very lucky with really anything in life to be frank. I guess that's just how life is. You're lucky or you aren't.. I wish I had a loving, supportive family, I believe I would be happy then.

Are they the strict type who expect you to address them as sir/madam? I've heard that's common among families in the Bible Belt.

Bct

Bct

Disqualified from Being Human
Apr 20, 2020
Always fighting with a woman I should call mom just because I was born from her womb. She is the main reason why I left home & haven't going back in months. Sometimes she texting me but honestly sometimes I just ignore it or just giving brief answers. Some answers are even fake just for not instigating another fight. I'm really tired dealing with her.

Father? He's still kind to me, so when he's gone I'll be really sad. Rarely keeping contact in him though.

Siblings? There were beefs in the past, so we rarely talk with each other. I haven't been texting them in months, and if we're doing that, those are only for necessary things. I don''t know if this is something normal.

Basically I never opening myself up to family and even most people. I really hate when she dismissed my negative feelings and just thinking I'm the one who should be blamed. Definitely won't miss her. In fact, I would be glad if she dies, but probably I'm the one who will die first.

lostangel

lostangel

Enlightened
Mar 22, 2019
I don't talk much to my 'house family' we haven't really made a bond. But my other family like cousins etc... well my family is torn apart and are all ''beefing''. They don't get along. I haven't built a bond with them either. I don't have anyone.