underscore_nine

underscore_nine

the sweet release
Feb 17, 2023
to be able to reference my CTB irl does anyone else use a code word sort of? I refer to going beyond life as "going to berlin" so I can tell classmates "I'll be in berlin then" when making plans or setting deadlines. Does anything else do something similar to this?

• Hugs
Reactions: wobblycoatrack, prettycvnt, Heem wasnt there and 1 other person
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I try to avoid euphemisms like that, but I'm pretty sure I've used "check out" and "cancel my subscription" when talking to my therapist about suicidal ideation before.

Why Berlin, if you don't mind my asking?

Reactions: Sageiois, Deleted member 65988 and pretzelsandballoons
NeedAnEscape

NeedAnEscape

awaiting the end
Oct 16, 2023
I usually disguise my ideations as "just being tired" and CTB as "when things get better." It's enough to mask the pain and limit people from worrying.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: wobblycoatrack and The Final Solution
cats333

cats333

sleepy
Aug 10, 2023
i kinda just make stuff up on the spot and try to remember what ive said referring to that date but ive had slip ups where my friends who know of my ideation have had to ask me qhat i meant when i said i wouldnt be here for february lol

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalShore
EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
I'll usually talk about kermiting sewer slide~ agreed with cats333 tho~ Many times, it's situational, and I'll say things like passing on~ hehe~

Heem wasnt there

Heem wasnt there

Missing You
Dec 8, 2023
Me and my friend have this running joke of referring to CTB as "playing god" because of our religious upbringings. Christians (some) would say people shouldn't CTB cause it meant you were taking control of your life, effectively "playing god". We thought it was funny, but I think it's a pretty good one.

smeltingtheiron

smeltingtheiron

meat-aholic
Dec 17, 2023
I usually just say "when I'm free" or derivatives. Though, I try to keep any discussion of suicidal ideation with IRLs to an absolute minimum, nothing good has ever come from exposing my honest self to my family.
shouldn't CTB cause it meant you were taking control of your life, effectively "playing god".
I can't help but laugh at this, that's a good one. I come from a religious upbringing myself so I'm used to those sentiments, like everything being according to "God's plan" and that one's life is a gift. Though I can't help but feel sad that it's an unfortunate truth that the reason suicide is looked down upon is because you're taking your life into your control and that's somehow very selfish as if your very existence is for others.

Reactions: Heem wasnt there
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Thoughts of suicide are indicative of a psychiatric disorder and should not be regarded as a source of shame. Communicating the truth to others is preferable so that they can better understand mental illness and your personal experiences with it. It is unfortunate that you are compelled to tell lies to your friends, but if that is the case, they are not truly your friends. Indeed, if they are your good friends, it is not nice to psychologically toy with them over such a serious matter.

You could share that you have disturbing thoughts and suffer while depressed; nevertheless, you are not required to give any scary details or future plans.
This is because confiding in someone you trust can help you feel better and less depressed. Suicide is less likely among people who have a loving support system. When you feel overwhelmed and communicate in a way that your friends do not understand, you could be missing out on the opportunity for your friends to be a source of comfort.

Heem wasnt there

Heem wasnt there

Missing You
Dec 8, 2023
I usually just say "when I'm free" or derivatives. Though, I try to keep any discussion of suicidal ideation with IRLs to an absolute minimum, nothing good has ever come from exposing my honest self to my family.

I can't help but laugh at this, that's a good one. I come from a religious upbringing myself so I'm used to those sentiments, like everything being according to "God's plan" and that one's life is a gift. Though I can't help but feel sad that it's an unfortunate truth that the reason suicide is looked down upon is because you're taking your life into your control and that's somehow very selfish as if your very existence is for others.
No HONESTLY. I've been disillusioned with the whole idea of religion for a while now, but this always bugs me. Doing anything that could possibly hurt others is considered selfish. Like the whole idea of suicide (in a religious community especially) being a selfish act? It seems like a cheap argument, putting family/friends/others' feelings and thoughts above that of the individual. It just baffles me, the whole idea of existing FOR other people, like you said. It infuriates me to no end.

Reactions: smeltingtheiron
smeltingtheiron

smeltingtheiron

meat-aholic
Dec 17, 2023
No HONESTLY. I've been disillusioned with the whole idea of religion for a while now, but this always bugs me. Doing anything that could possibly hurt others is considered selfish. Like the whole idea of suicide (in a religious community especially) being a selfish act? It seems like a cheap argument, putting family/friends/others' feelings and thoughts above that of the individual. It just baffles me, the whole idea of existing FOR other people, like you said. It infuriates me to no end.
I get you, I get you a lot! I still believe in a God, but that doesn't mean I have to respect said God. I don't get it either, I can absolutely get things like rape or unjustified murder being deemed sins that would land you in Hell for being flagrant acts of degeneracy and selfishness but I never truly understood why suicide specifically is an act accosted to such level of sin and selfishness. It seems like an extremely cheap argument, and it has gotten to the point that I feel it's an unintentional "crabs in a bucket" mentality from others. If you're suffering and want to commit suicide you're selfish and/or a coward for not sticking it out and suffering like everyone else. This is a bit off-topic, but for a long while I used to live purely for my family because I have nothing else to live for, but when I expressed this to my mother she said that was incredibly selfish and terrible. I got where she's coming from but it is like I can't live for others but I can't bring my own life peace if living is bringing genuine suffering or discomfort for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heem wasnt there
Heem wasnt there

Heem wasnt there

Missing You
Dec 8, 2023
I get you, I get you a lot! I still believe in a God, but that doesn't mean I have to respect said God. I don't get it either, I can absolutely get things like rape or unjustified murder being deemed sins that would land you in Hell for being flagrant acts of degeneracy and selfishness but I never truly understood why suicide specifically is an act accosted to such level of sin and selfishness. It seems like an extremely cheap argument, and it has gotten to the point that I feel it's an unintentional "crabs in a bucket" mentality from others. If you're suffering and want to commit suicide you're selfish and/or a coward for not sticking it out and suffering like everyone else. This is a bit off-topic, but for a long while I used to live purely for my family because I have nothing else to live for, but when I expressed this to my mother she said that was incredibly selfish and terrible. I got where she's coming from but it is like I can't live for others but I can't bring my own life peace if living is bringing genuine suffering or discomfort for the foreseeable future.
That's another issue I have! I don't understand how a reasonable person (or a god) could view all "sins" as equal. Like you're telling me rape and murder are exactly equivalent to lying or blasphemy? Idk it just seems like a double standard to me, especially when it comes to the topic of suicide. I also had a similar experience, actually! Telling people in my life I lived for them alone, they didn't seem to understand that. In fact, people acting negatively to that will always baffle me. It's such a hypocritical sentiment, like it's selfish to take my life because you love me, alright. But it's also selfish to live for you? Cause the responsibility lies on your shoulders, or what? The mentality seems to be "live for yourself" but what if you can't? It seems there's no way to avoid causing others pain or feeling like their emotional state relies on you. All arguments seem to just be backing us into corners.

DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
I don't know that any religion has it completely right. When I was a young man this question and the question "If there's only 1 God, then why so many different religions?" led me to explore different religions and go to different religious services trying to figure these things out. I read that Gandhi also did this. Only thing I learned is this is impossible to figure out. Religion is about belief and faith and there is no data or provable facts to look at. Just like Gandhi returned to his native Hinduism, I went back to the Catholic Church. I still identify as Catholic although rarely ever go to Church and have zero respect for the institution of the Catholic Church because of all the scandals and we now know that the pedophilia was rampant and the cover ups lead all the way up to the Vatican and the hypocrisy of going to confession and confessing my sins to a priest whose sins likely dwarf my own. I am what they call a cafeteria Catholic now and accept some of the beliefs but not all. Couple things I always loved about Catholic belief system: 1) It's not racist. We don't believe that only Catholics or only Christians go to heaven as other Christian denominations do. To believe that, then you also have to believe that God is a racist! 2) We don't believe all sins are equal. CTB is a big 1 however and I am haunted by my late sister talking to me about the fate of my soul should I ctb. I don't fully accept this today but I don't know anything for absolute certain. That's the problem with religions. Can't objectively prove anything however I believe that I have seen and experienced proof of God's existence. For 1, I am badly disabled and was told by multiple doctors that I would never walk again but I do. My feet are paralyzed and it really is supposed to be impossible. I'm dying from last hunger strike as I type this and believe this is God's plan for me. Not exactly ctb. CTB is a sin. Hunger strike is a noble way to die and some would say heroic. I believe God wants me to do this because He like myself is angry about how inhumane America is and especially opiophobia.

underscore_nine

underscore_nine

the sweet release
Feb 17, 2023
I try to avoid euphemisms like that, but I'm pretty sure I've used "check out" and "cancel my subscription" when talking to my therapist about suicidal ideation before.

Why Berlin, if you don't mind my asking?
i had a few friends die in berlin (the city) as a result of drugs and suicide so it's a city i associate with death

• Hugs
Reactions: wobblycoatrack
Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
"Extreme self-determination" when refering to ctb.