Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
I've just started doing this during high amounts of anxiety, so it's not trying to strangle myself to death nor is it sexual. I've noticed that everything just starts to quiet down and feel calm after.

I've looked it up and most only speak about its relation to erotic asphyxiation. Only found like one article going over it but it was from like 30 years ago, other than that I've seen only a few mentions of people asking if it's self-harm behavior.

Reactions: AngelGirl, Deleted member 18655, GirlInBlue and 2 others
L

luneetétoiles

Jun 2, 2020
I don't but I know of someone that did. She died from doing so although not clear if it was suicide or misadventure.

F

FusRohDracarys

But what do I know
Mar 31, 2020
Used to, yeah. I did it as self harm when I was upset when I was a teenager. Now I just drink.

Reactions: AngelGirl
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
When I lived with my abusive ex I used to do that a lot, always had a noose made of soft polyester belt in my closet.

• Hugs
Reactions: AngelGirl and Final Escape
serah

serah

Student
May 6, 2020
Yes! After I attempted to stop cutting, I found out about this. Used to do it quite often (not in a sexual way) as a way to release anger. I wish it were possible to ctb in such a way lol.

Reactions: Final Escape
Harasaki

Harasaki

Oct 21, 2019
Yeah, it calms me down, and it's better than cutting because it leaves no marks

Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
I have always found asphyxia... calming.

V

Varstraben

Student
May 25, 2020
I used lighter gas to peaceful asphyxia myself for calming anxiety attack when I was a teenager, and also as drugs sometime ...

Covidblows

Covidblows

May 18, 2020
Did this as the "choking game" as a teen. We were trying to get high more than hurt ourselves.
Back then my group lived on the edge so I guess you could say if any of our antics caused us to catch the bus, it wouldn't be a surprise but it was never the intent.

BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger

Comfort-eating
Aug 4, 2018
One of my exes would hold his breath to make himself pass out when he couldn't sleep at night. Not quite the same thing but it absolutely terrified me whenever I slept with him.
I used lighter gas to peaceful asphyxia myself for calming anxiety attack when I was a teenager, and also as drugs sometime ...
Could you provide any info on this?

Reactions: Final Escape
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
One of my exes would hold his breath to make himself pass out when he couldn't sleep at night. Not quite the same thing but it absolutely terrified me whenever I slept with him.

That's wild, I kinda wish I could do that. I just take a lot of deep breaths lol

Did this as the "choking game" as a teen. We were trying to get high more than hurt ourselves.
Back then my group lived on the edge so I guess you could say if any of our antics caused us to catch the bus, it wouldn't be a surprise but it was never the intent.

I never did the choking thing. As a teen we'd go to parties and do NOS, we could pass out from that I'm pretty sure that added to some brain damage for me but I was already pretty fucked before trying it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Covidblows and Final Escape
V

Varstraben

Student
May 25, 2020

It simply breath the output of butane gas can used to refill lighter using a ... i don't know the word ...
maybe pictures could help

20200607 023304

20200607 023405

It's not that peaceful because brain experience strong drugs effect that could easy make throwing up, but with the habit ...

note : is writed on the bottle that can cause instant death if is used to be breathed like I do, I used it for some years now, sometime i'm still using it, but never experienced instant death :(

• Wow
Reactions: CynicalHopelessness
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I've never passed out (even despite decades of anorexia and bulimia lol). I've spent way too long scouring the Net, trying to figure out how to do this, to no avail. Would pay with eternal gratitude for a site or a pm with instructions xx

Reactions: Skathon
Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
How can I do this 'safely'?

Not that there's anything safe about it, but to avoid the likelihood of me actually choking myself to death? How do you do it?

Reactions: Deleted member 18655
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
How can I do this 'safely'?

Not that there's anything safe about it, but to avoid the likelihood of me actually choking myself to death? How do you do it?

I don't really know for sure, I never really looked into the choking game thing.
But I first did it was just kind of like unintentional. I was having an anxiety attack, and would often have my hands on the temples of my face, and would move them to my ears, then both on my back of my neck. Then I started grabbing at my day in it just went further and further. I'm assuming that applying pressure to my neck is what causes the calm. I only do it for a short amount of time. I'm don't time it exactly, but it feels short less than a minute. My breathing slows, and I'll let it go, and maybe do it once or twice more. After that, I find that I'm weirdly calm. Also, I can't have to hold my breath very long, and I'm not sure if that plays a part, but it might be something to consider if you attempt it. Also might depend on if you have any heart, or blood pressure issues.

• Hugs
Reactions: Despondent
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I've tried cutting off my carotid to see if I can do it, but i guess I can't even do that right. Lol

• Hugs
A

AnxietyAttack44

I just wanna go to my husband already.
Jun 5, 2020
I started choking thing while searching carotids for hanging attempt. I found carrotids and succesfully passed out every time, but i failed hanging. To comfort myself i continued to choke myself out with noose, wether i die or not. Feeling that it causes is extremely weird and addicting and once i started id repeat it 10 times in a row. Unfortunately i never die but still, it was comforting as it was weird

W

whitelacedress

Jun 3, 2020
I've tried cutting off my carotid to see if I can do it, but i guess I can't even do that right. Lol
Its okay, its difficult, takes a lot of practice
I do it sometimes, I like that the outside world gets quiet, however Ive never been able to pass out, thats my goal.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: AngelGirl and BitterlyAlive
T

Thatsthelot

Jul 2, 2020
You should try the wim hof method, very good for anxiety will leave you feeling high as a kite. Take about 30 really deep breaths in and out, then hold your breath for as long as you can, when you finally need to breath, take a deep breath in for about another 20 seconds. Repeat 3 or 4 times. It when tested they found that it spiked adrenaline levels higher than someone doing a first bungee jump. Loads of YouTube vids.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Sometimes. I guess it has the same feedback as self harm.

Reactions: Skathon
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
I do too. I do it impulsively when I'm stressed or anxious. it's also not sexual for me as well.

It is very easy to do so I find myself doing it often, and I do it anywhere. Although I sometimes worry about being seen choking myself because I really do it impulsively if there's something that stresses me right at the moment.

When something bad unexpectedly happens or when I just have an uncanny thought, I bring my hand up to choke myself thinking that I just want to kill my self. I do this without thinking and then realize what I was doing afterwards.

It became my self harm habit because of how easy it is.

lostangel

lostangel

Enlightened
Mar 22, 2019
Yes, but I do a blood choke. I compress my carotid arteries until my vision goes black.