throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
...know about the heat death of the universe?

Meaning in a gazillion years all life in the universe will die.

So what's the point? Some would argue that it's the journey that matters but so far my journey has been a total shit show and it's not like anyone would blame you for walking out early if it's a shitty movie.

Reactions: RoloTomasi, FadedMemory, dwimplepeen213 and 6 others
akosineenee

akosineenee

Invisible idiot
Aug 22, 2018

So what's the point? Some would argue that it's the journey that matters but so far my journey has been a total shit show and it's not like anyone would blame you for walking out early if it's a shitty movie.
Never heard of it. But I agree. Everyone dies eventually so what's so wrong with me pushing myself to the head of the line?

Reactions: betteroffdead, Justanotherconsumer, weedoge and 2 others
D

Deleted_9cKnXB34QG

Mage
Jun 26, 2018
I'm looking forward to it.
I watch videos like this and I get this warm fuzzy feeling like fuck yeah, everything will die no matter what!

Reactions: Justanotherconsumer, weedoge and throwaway123
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Everything tends towards entropy in a closed system. That's the Big Freeze theory. There's also a Big Crunch, a Big Rip and a Big Bounce theory. It all depends on what shape the universe is thought to be and whether it is finite or infinite.

Reactions: Tiburcio and weedoge
nzdarkshark

nzdarkshark

The Loved Mistake
Sep 4, 2018
This is deep.
But I have looked into philosophy and stuff like that and I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about all of humanity dying. Guess I'm ok with it cos most of the world deserves it lmao.

Reactions: Justanotherconsumer, Tiburcio and throwaway123
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Never heard of it. But I agree. Everyone dies eventually so what's so wrong with me pushing myself to the head of the line?
basically one of the theories of the end of the universe is that, due to dark energy, all galaxies and matter in the universe will keep accelerating faster and faster away from each other as the universe continually expands. Assuming there is no way to add energy to the universe than when things get so far spread out, everything will drop to basically have no energy at all.

To be honest though we're discovering so much weird shit about the quantum world that I don't think we have any idea how it'll really end.

An interesting video on a similar concept I watched where Neil Degrasse speaks about an age in the universe before the heat death but when all other galaxies are beyond our visible horizon:

Reactions: Smilla, Tiburcio, lv-gras and 1 other person
akosineenee

akosineenee

Invisible idiot
Aug 22, 2018
basically one of the theories of the end of the universe is that, due to dark energy, all galaxies and matter in the universe will keep accelerating faster and faster away from each other as the universe continually expands. Assuming there is no way to add energy to the universe than when things get so far spread out, everything will drop to basically have no energy at all.

To be honest though we're discovering so much weird shit about the quantum world that I don't think we have any idea how it'll really end.

An interesting video on a similar concept I watched where Neil Degrasse speaks about an age in the universe before the heat death but when all other galaxies are beyond our visible horizon:

Thanks weedoge. Very interesting.

Reactions: Justanotherconsumer, lv-gras and weedoge
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I picture the universe as the surface tension on an expanding bubble. The expansion of the bubble is accelerating and eventually it will pop. What's inside the bubble? Dunno. What's outside the bubble? Dunno. Void maybe? Or loads of other bubbles? Maybe a Multiversal bubble bath?
I don't really believe this as such, its just a way of thinking.

Reactions: akosineenee and weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I picture the universe as the surface tension on an expanding bubble. The expansion of the bubble is accelerating and eventually it will pop. What's inside the bubble? Dunno. What's outside the bubble? Dunno. Void maybe? Or loads of other bubbles? Maybe a Multiversal bubble bath?
I don't really believe this as such, its just a way of thinking.
I thought it was pretty interesting to consider that, after watching the degrasse tyson video above, currently the big bang is the beginning of everything for us right? It's as far as we can "see" even when we try to look.

but as he mentioned one day the galaxies will be expanding so fast that we won't even be able to see those, it will appear as if they were never there unless I misunderstood, they'll be trying to piece together the nature of the universe with only the milky way to do it. Assuming there is even still life then. What if there is something beyond the big bang? Hell, there probably is right? We probably won't ever know anyway. I love physics damn.

Reactions: Justanotherconsumer and akosineenee
M

medusa

Student
Sep 1, 2018

except that life is real and not a movie