N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Someone in this forum told me I have to understand that I am not my illness. I have to differentiate that I am not my illlness. That this is only a mental illness and not a part of my self/or personality. (Tbh I am not sure about the intention of that person, he is seemingly no longer part of the forum.) This is something which could also stem from one of my therapists. In therapy they tell this to many patients. But personally I struggle with it. This is just me personal perception and probably an unhealthy thinking pattern...I would not recommend it to anyone.

I really think my mind is hugely influenced by my illnesses. I think I am my illnesses. When I analyze my brain there is so much influence of psychosis, paranoia, depression, mania, obsessive thoughts, anxieties etc. But partly only on a very low level. I am not always extremely paranoid if this is what you think now. Probably anti-choice people could use this observation to pretend that I was not able to make a rational decision about my own death. I find that argument pretty hypocritical and I am tired of it. This is not the main topic in this thread. Just to say some words about it: The fact that I am able to see through my cognitive shifts makes me a rational human being. I am way more aware about my biases than most neurotypicals. The joke is: even if I could convince a psychiatrist that I can make a rational choice they would still not give me the right to die.

But now back to the main topic. I have so many mental issues. My illnesses absolutely determine my own life. I think without these illnesses I would be a completely different person. Though this thought makes me somewhat sad because I could have been so happy without all these traumatas. I think different personality disorders would be fitting for my mental state. But it is probably almost impossible to differentiate what stems from which illness. I just know my mind is pretty damned fucked. I think my mental problems are a huge part of me. These are problems which accompany since I am very young. I think as a child my mental problems had different symptoms. There were signs that I become mentally ill. I think the field of mental illnesses in very young children is pretty interesting. I have not read much about it. Maybe I should do that. But I can clearly say it was obvious that I am in mental pain even as primary schol student. I can clearly say when I was paranoid for the first time in my life. I think with 14. And with 15 my bipolar disorder and suicidality started. This had a huge influence on my development.

My mind is a cage. My obsessions reign over me. It is almost impossible not to act pathologically. So many of my thinking patterns or ways how I behave are pathological. Especially my coping mechanisms. So when I try to ease my mental terror I more or less feed my own illness which is quite absurd. I try to calm it down and surrender to it so that I can have a a little space to breath.

But this is only my own perception of it. And probably not a very healthy one. Maybe you have a different experience. I hope so.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: TooConscious, demuic, waitingforrest and 3 others
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
In my case both, trying to get rid of the main illness so I can deal with the minor one. But something seems to stop it. Maybe it's the meds. I'm considering doing somedging silly and just quit it all at once except Xanax.

• Hugs
Reactions: TooConscious, TheSoulless and noname223
M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
Am I my mental disorders? I want to believe that's not the case. But I feel like that is all I am - I'm just a collection of problems and pathology and maladaptiveness.

• Hugs
Reactions: TooConscious, demuic and TheSoulless
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Isn't it more or less the same thing? In any case, they affect one's personality and influence the decisions one makes. Some people are more prone to the influences than others.

Reactions: TooConscious
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
As much as I want to separate myself from my illness, I can't, because it impacts virtually every single thing I do. This year alone my fatigue has gotten so bad I've had to avoid going out at night because by dinner time I'm simply done, irrespective of what I did or didn't do that particular day. It feels like it's worsening, and killing me by limiting my options, very slowly over time.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm more of a mere symptom of all the greater ills plaguing society overall. I'd like to think me dying is going to do something to alleviate the sick cruelty in the world but it's true that removing myself would merely be a drop in the bucket. Doesn't mean I'm not going to continue to carry out my plans though.

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
My illness has pretty much swallowed me whole.

D

dropintheocean

Student
Dec 12, 2021
I suffer from very debilitating illness which affect my whole body and in a way also mind. Many illnesses can have such a strong effect that they effect the mind hugely and therefore can give an impression that you are your illness. But my view isnt that. I have more of a buddhist view. That we are more than our bodies. That we are awareness that has its interconectedness with the body but its not the same. So I identify with being awareness and not the body, so not the illness either.

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Unfortunately it feels like I am most days since I don't even have the simple option to end my suffering.