N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
"Everybody is identical in their secret unspoken belief that way deep down they are different from everyone else."
David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

I am currently reading it. I think I am not special anymore since I have read this quote. But wouldn't that make me special if the quote was true. Another antinomy.

There are a lot of people in this forum with extreme self-hatred. Or people who see themselves as uniquely bad or a unique failure. At the same time I can relate when others are self-loathing themselves. I feel less alone when I read it. If you feel unique that can be sort of insular and lead to the feeling of loneliness. When you realize people are going through similar shit that be a pain relief.

Reactions: Heartaches, etherealspring, LoiteringClouds and 3 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I don't view myself as unique because that's too favorable. I'm not a unique failure and that's all the more reason my death shouldn't matter.

Reactions: kinderbueno
daley

daley

May 11, 2024
I used to think I liked unique music, and got some self-esteem from that.
I would kind of look down on pop music.
Then I would realize that I do enjoy some pop music.
Then I gave up. I should be able to listen to Taylor Swift if I want to.

Reactions: sammiechzxv and kinderbueno
3/4Dead

3/4Dead

Peace, Love, Empathy
Feb 27, 2024
Nah. Theres a thousand other people just like me. Nothing about me is all that unique

N

NoHalfMeasures

Bones sinking like stones
Aug 20, 2024
I think we are all unique in that we have different life experiences, different personalities, different appearances, etc.
But that is a good quote. I think we are all simultaneously unique and yet the same. The same, as in, we are all human. And that is a wonderful thing.

I struggle with feeling like an outsider in many ways when trying to blend in with society, especially in social ways, but I also know that even though I feel like an outsider at times, that experience is felt by many other people, too. And it's comforting to know that in my own unique struggles, there are also other people with similar struggles. It helps me not feel so alone.

Reactions: MiraiShisen and daley
amnesia999

amnesia999

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves
Jun 30, 2024
  • Yay!
Reactions: Marine, lizzywizzy09, Heartaches and 1 other person
Downdraft

Downdraft

I'm out
Feb 6, 2024
Yes. In a really bad sense.

Reactions: Sylveon
mikgazer6

mikgazer6

college student
Jul 1, 2024
Unique? Yes, everyone is. Special? No.

null_blank

null_blank

just passing through
Aug 14, 2024
In a tv series, a character told the main that was really going through it,

"Your pain is exactly zero percent unique."

And the main took such offense to that. And so did I. Like, how dare you??

It took all of a minute of reasoning to realize they were right—but I still hate it.

I'd heard it in other words previously: 'we all break in different ways'

Yet it still riles something in me, like I should be allowed some instance of feeling that is undoubtably mine and mine alone.

VeryShy

VeryShy

Seriously disabled due to autism and schizophrenia
Jun 21, 2024
Unique in a very bad way, such as having mental illness that only 0,1% of people have.
Also being super-smart. Okay, that's a joke.

sammiechzxv

sammiechzxv

just a girl who's kinda sad
Aug 7, 2023
Everyone is unique because we are all seperate people living seperate lives with seperate personalities, interests, hobbies, etc... But I don't think I would ever stand out amongst a group, no.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Everyone is unique because we all have our own unique set of genes. Even identical twins are going to be unique though because they won't have lived the exact same life. Our experiences change who we are. I doubt anyone here thinks or understands their world in the exact same way.

That said, we all have similarities too. Bit like snowflakes I suppose. They're all made up of the same thing, they behave in similar ways to one another but they're also all different.

Downdraft

Downdraft

I'm out
Feb 6, 2024
"Your pain is exactly zero percent unique."
Off-topic but that character sound like an ass lol. Imagine dismissing someone's pain just because others have it too.

Reactions: Kavka
Gangrel

Gangrel

Student
Jul 25, 2024
unique yes but that doesnt make it special, sometimes i don't even feel human tbh

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I'm not just unique; I'm bizarre

Reactions: GuessWhosBack
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
No, there are billions like me, all suffering because of the human condition. Simple example from the internet, everything I ever think of I simply google and there are already dozens of people who have asked the same question and I'm sure there would be thousands of posts of the same questions if people didn't come across the original posts of the questions.