zeek

zeek

omg mokocchi
Oct 18, 2023
when we breathe our last breath, will our soul cease to exist too?
will I not be able to repent?
i dont know.
i hope God forgives me for this.

• Hugs
Reactions: vampire2002, february in alaska and Liminal1
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
I hope so. My soul is tired.

Maybe time is relative and when our brain releases all those chemicals upon our death maybe we get to live in that moment for eternity.

Your own personal heaven or hell

StaringIntoAnAbyss

StaringIntoAnAbyss

Is it all just a quantum dream ?
Aug 23, 2023
I don't think so I'm pretty atheist so idk if you need to believe me but I think life is just the electric charges in our heads going round and round. So I think if we die the electrons simply stop and you just stop observing the universe, I really hope this is true but no one knows

Reactions: Departme
A

aboy1995

Aug 27, 2023
I want to believe in reincarnation, with absolutely no memory of this life. A new clean slate.

avaruus

avaruus

loser · gone very soon
Aug 17, 2022
Hmm, I've always been a rock-hard atheist, so naturally, I haven't believed in a 'soul' or even some external 'consciousness' or 'essence,' at least not something that outlasts the brain.

But for the last couple of weeks, I've had much more unique thoughts about this. I think it's possible; there is so much mystery in existence. For example, according to quantum physics, nothing really fundamentally exists; it's all just very abstract probabilities. This, of course, goes against all logic and our observations from our human perspective.

Also, these thoughts about 'time' as a dimension of our reality might interest you:

Reactions: Departme and UtopianSoliloquies
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
Hmm, I've always been a rock-hard atheist, so naturally, I haven't believed in a 'soul' or even some external 'consciousness' or 'essence,' at least not something that outlasts the brain.

But for the last couple of weeks, I've had much more unique thoughts about this. I think it's possible; there is so much mystery in existence. For example, according to quantum physics, nothing really fundamentally exists; it's all just very abstract probabilities. This, of course, goes against all logic and our observations from our human perspective.

Also, these thoughts about 'time' as a dimension of our reality might interest you:

Quantum entanglement could be your soul leaving this world into another.

Reactions: Departme and avaruus
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I don't believe in souls. You are just your body, your brain to be exact. There isn't any sort of immaterial part of us. Once you die, that's it.

I feel like a lot of spiritual people like to talk about quantum physics without understanding how complicated it is. It doesn't prove anything in regards to whether or not we have souls, since that isn't falsifiable, and shouldn't be talked about by those who don't have enough knowledge on it. I'm saying this as someone who used to be obsessed with quantum physics when they were younger (in the scientific sense, not the spiritual one). It's a very complicated subject, especially for those with no proper background in physics.

Reactions: Departme and UtopianSoliloquies
avaruus

avaruus

loser · gone very soon
Aug 17, 2022
I don't believe in souls. You are just your body, your brain to be exact. There isn't any sort of immaterial part of us. Once you die, that's it.

I feel like a lot of spiritual people like to talk about quantum physics without understanding how complicated it is. It doesn't prove anything in regards to whether or not we have souls, since that isn't falsifiable, and shouldn't be talked about by those who don't have enough knowledge on it. I'm saying this as someone who used to be obsessed with quantum physics when they were younger (in the scientific sense, not the spiritual one). It's a very complicated subject, especially for those with no proper background in physics.
Dude, i used to feel EXATCLY the same way that you do, so many of these 'spiritual people' talk about 'energy' without knowning shit about physics.
The 'Double-slit experiment' that caused so many of these 'spiritual' people to yap about how we live in a simulation triggered me so much.

So i relate to you so much.

But listen to me, i know it's annoying, but you absolutely cannot deny that there is so much mystery about our existence, about the big bang, about the nature of particles. So many unanswered questions and UNLOGICAL observations that do not match our other calculations, logic and other PROVEN theories & observations.

Reactions: Departme and Myforevercharlie
haibane

haibane

Reki
Sep 27, 2023
As i believe that that all we are as a human being is just a really complex neuronal network. I don't think anything such as souls exist. i think that when we die we just stop existing forever. And that's so conforting imo.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
Dude, i used to feel EXATCLY the same way that you do, so many of these 'spiritual people' talk about 'energy' without knowning shit about physics.
The 'Double-slit experiment' that caused so many of these 'spiritual' people to yap about how we live in a simulation triggered me so much.

So i relate to you so much.

But listen to me, i know it's annoying, but you absolutely cannot deny that there is so much mystery about our existence, about the big bang, about the nature of particles. So many unanswered questions and UNLOGICAL observations that do not match our other calculations, logic and other PROVEN theories & calculations.
Well, I mean, you could apply that to everything throughout our entire existence as a species. Plenty of things seem mysterious and illogical at first until we figure out the why's and how's. Then it just ends up over time becoming basic knowledge. Gathering knowledge of our surroundings is a slow process, but once it's gained it'll just end up being just another piece of the puzzle.

Just like how our ancestors were probably questioning plenty of things that are considered to be basic knowledge today, we are busy trying to understand things that at some point in the future will become basic knowledge for others. Quantum physics is confusing and weird now, but over time our understanding of it will improve and it'll just become a basic thing taught in schools to future generations.

avaruus

avaruus

loser · gone very soon
Aug 17, 2022
Well, I mean, you could apply that to everything throughout our entire existence as a species. Plenty of things seem mysterious and illogical at first until we figure out the why's and how's. Then it just ends up over time becoming basic knowledge. Gathering knowledge of our surroundings is a slow process, but once it's gained it'll just end up being just another piece of the puzzle.

Just like how our ancestors were probably questioning plenty of things that are considered to be basic knowledge today, we are busy trying to understand things that at some point in the future will become basic knowledge for others. Quantum physics is confusing and weird now, but over time our understanding of it will improve and it'll just become a basic thing taught in schools to future generations.
I think you're being a bit too arrogant about that. You remind me of my cousin, who claimed that we will eventually find a way to travel at the speed of light. Even tho that's obviously impossible now, and will be forever, atleast in the conventional sense of 'travel' (and not some space-time warp bullshit)

Do you really think that we will eventually unlock all the secrets and mysteries of our universe?
That we will someday unlock the knowledge to the 'Theory of Everything'?

That's quite the prediction to make, almost a spiritual prediction, rather than a calculated prediction based on logic and rationale.
(Because it's HIGHLY irrational to believe that we will ever unlock all the answers to the questions of our existence, we are limited.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Departme and letmejoindeath
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023

Yeah but you don't have indisputable proof either, so pretending like you have the more enlightened opinion isn't any different than putting blind faith in the sky daddy or afterlife. Why can't crazy phenomena in physics be created by a God? How come everyone believes a God wouldn't be intelligent enough to design evolution? You aren't the all knowing oracle you claim to be just because you were "into it once"

The fact you come in demanding everyone believe in your take on it makes you sound like a religious zealot and you certainly are behaving no different than them.

Last edited:
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
I think you're being a bit too arrogant about that. You remind me of my cousin, who claimed that we will eventually find a way to travel at the speed of light. Even tho that's obviously impossible now, and will be forever, atleast in the conventional sense of 'travel' (and not some space-time warp bullshit)

Do you really think that we will eventually unlock all the secrets and mysteries of our universe?
That we will someday unlock the knowledge to the 'Theory of Everything'?

That's quite the prediction to make, almost a spiritual prediction, rather than a calculated prediction based on logic and rationale.
(Because it's HIGHLY irrational to believe that we will ever unlock all the answers to the questions of our existence, we are limited.)
I feel like you completely misinterpreted my response. Sorry if I did not communicate that well, communication is not my strong suit. The point that I'm making is that these things only seem mysterious and illogical now because we are still learning about them. There are of course going to be limits to what we can discover and learning about one thing can lead to questions about other things, and so forth, but, over time as our understanding of quantum physics grows, we'll be able to have a much stronger grasp on it and the parts of it that make it strange and illogical.

L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
Well, the idea of the soul is that it is a part of the human that lives on. A part of me hopes that I can gain full autonomy and control over my being, if I can't just have peaceful nonexistence.

L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
I feel like you completely misinterpreted my response. Sorry if I did not communicate that well, communication is not my strong suit. The point that I'm making is that these things only seem mysterious and illogical now because we are still learning about them. There are of course going to be limits to what we can discover and learning about one thing can lead to questions about other things, and so forth, but, over time as our understanding of quantum physics grows, we'll be able to have a much stronger grasp on it and the parts of it that make it strange and illogical.
How does this disprove that some creator didn't create the rules of physics just because you know a lot about the subject?

Why isn't a god smart enough to create evolution?

How did the conditions exist for the big bang to happen from nothing?

Being athiest is no different than blindly believing in a sky daddy. You are confident in your belief and no one can change your mind, you also believe you are the enlightened one. Who does this sound like?

I don't necessarily believe in the Christian sky daddy but I'm certainly not going to count one out, purely out of blind arrogance.

Last edited:
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
Yeah but you don't have indisputable proof either, so pretending like you have the more enlightened opinion isn't any different than putting blind faith in the sky daddy or afterlife. Why can't crazy phenomena in physics be created by a God? How come everyone believes a God wouldn't be intelligent enough to design evolution? You aren't the all knowing oracle you claim to be just because you were "into it once"

The fact you come in demanding everyone believe in your take on it makes you sound like a religious zealot and you certainly are behaving no different than them.
I'm not pretending to be enlightened. The point of the thread is to ask "Do you think the soul keeps going when the body dies" and that is my opinion. I can point out the fact that something technically cannot be proven or disproven and still not believe in it. My mom believes in a soul, despite it not being falsifiable, and is aware of it. Both of our opinions are valid.

If you want to believe in there being a God, the good for you. I don't really care.
How does this disprove that some creator didn't create the rules of physics just because you know a lot about the subject?
Jesus Christ dude, calm down. Nobody is coming after your religious beliefs. You are getting worked up over nothing.

L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
I'm not pretending to be enlightened. The point of the thread is to ask "Do you think the soul keeps going when the body dies" and that is my opinion. I can point out the fact that something technically cannot be proven or disproven and still not believe in it. My mom believes in a soul, despite it not being falsifiable, and is aware of it. Both of our opinions are valid.

If you want to believe in there being a God, the good for you. I don't really care.

Jesus Christ dude, calm down. Nobody is coming after your religious beliefs. You are getting worked up over nothing.
Im not claiming to know if there is or there isn't a sky daddy.

I am just saying you can't come in here and say "it's not quantum physics because i used to be into it."

You weren't stating your opinion you were trying to disprove mine very arrogantly too I might add.

If you were stating your opinion it would just be "I don't believe in anything." Of course the old saying goes, "how do you know if someone is an athiest, don't worry they'll tell you."

They remind me of another group of people who shove pamphlets down your throat with their unprovable enlightenment. "Just trust me bro"

Last edited:
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
Im not claiming to know if there is or there isn't a sky daddy.

I am just saying you can't come in here and say "it's not quantum physics because i used to be into it."

You weren't stating your opinion you were trying to disprove mine very arrogantly too I might add.
"It doesn't prove anything in regards to whether or not we have souls, since that isn't falsifiable, and shouldn't be talked about by those who don't have enough knowledge on it. I'm saying this as someone who used to be obsessed with quantum physics when they were younger"

The statement implies it cannot prove if souls are real or not real. Souls aren't falsifiable so there is no way to prove or disprove their existence, even with quantum physics. There is nothing more to it.

Also, you can't get mad at me for coming off as arrogant (though I do apologize for coming off that way, it was not my intention), while also comparing me to a religious zealot and assuming that I think I'm an all-knowing oracle. That also comes off as rude.

Also, p.s. I'm an atheist agnostic, meaning that while I don't believe in a being of higher power, I am also aware that it is provable or disprovable. I know it cannot be proven or disproven as to whether or not a being/being of higher power exists, but I still have major doubts.

Last edited:
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
"It doesn't prove anything in regards to whether or not we have souls, since that isn't falsifiable, and shouldn't be talked about by those who don't have enough knowledge on it. I'm saying this as someone who used to be obsessed with quantum physics when they were younger"

The statement implies it cannot prove if souls are real or not real. Souls aren't falsifiable so there is no way to prove or disprove their existence, even with quantum physics. There is nothing more to it.

Also, you can't get mad at me for coming off as arrogant (though I do apologize for coming off that way, it was not my intention), while also comparing me to a religious zealot and assuming that I think I'm an all-knowing oracle. That also comes off as rude.

Also, p.s. I'm an atheist agnostic, meaning that while I don't believe in a being of higher power, I am also aware that it is provable or disprovable. I know it cannot be proven or disproven as to whether or not a being/being of higher power exists, but I still have major doubts.
"And shouldn't be talked about by those who don't have enough knowledge on it"

So you believe you have enough knowledge to determine how it should or shouldn't be talked about with absolute certainty?

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
"And shouldn't be talked about by those who don't have enough knowledge on it"

So you believe you have enough knowledge to determine how it should or shouldn't be talked about with absolute certainty?
The point that I was making is that quantum physics is confusing, which I know because I used to be really into it when I was younger, and thus I am aware that it shouldn't be talked about by those without any background in physics.

I used to look into it, and am aware of it being confusing, therefore I am aware that in-depth discussions on it should be left to physicists, who have the background knowledge needed to better understand the subject.

It's like you are trying so hard to have some sort of "gotcha" moment that you are completely misreading every sentence from that post. If I'm being frank with you, it's annoying. It thinks it's best to put a rest on this conversation. It's not going anywhere and it's more draining than it is insightful.

zeek

zeek

omg mokocchi
Oct 18, 2023
its really not that serious
whats the point of arguing like this if ur going to die anyways

I just hope if my soul lives on, it isn't tainted by the dirt that is my suicide.

• Hugs
Reactions: avaruus
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
The point that I was making is that quantum physics is confusing, which I know because I used to be really into it when I was younger, and thus I am aware that it shouldn't be talked about by those without any background in physics.

I used to look into it, and am aware of it being confusing, therefore I am aware that in-depth discussions on it should be left to physicists, who have the background knowledge needed to better understand the subject.

It's like you are trying so hard to have some sort of "gotcha" moment that you are completely misreading every sentence from that post. If I'm being frank with you, it's annoying. It thinks it's best to put a rest on this conversation. It's not going anywhere and it's more draining than it is insightful.
But even physicists could not prove or disprove whether quantum entanglement has anything to do with soul so why do I have to limit the discussion to them just because you say so and vehemently want it not to be true?

So you're asking me to shut up because you're a very arrogant individual?

Last edited:
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
But even physicists could not prove or disprove whether quantum entanglement has anything to do with soul so why do I have to limit the discussion to them just because you say so and vehemently want it not to be true?

So you're asking me to shut up because you're a very arrogant individual? I can see why you are here.
I was talking about discussions on quantum physics in general. A lot of people, especially spiritual people, love to talk about it and use it to explain things, without understanding how complex it is.

It seems like you are just looking to argue for the sake of arguing, so I'm just going to put you on ignore. Have a nice day and goodbye. :)

Reactions: letmejoindeath
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
I'm too materialistic to believe in a wandering soul, and I hope I'm on the right perspective.
I wouldn't like to keep any form of existence after dying - just want to disappear.
Considering that is a soul, would it have our memories, as they are in our brains? If they don't, well that's less suffering at least.

L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
I was talking about discussions on quantum physics in general. A lot of people, especially spiritual people, love to talk about it and use it to explain things, without understanding how complex it is.

It seems like you are just looking to argue for the sake of arguing, so I'm just going to put you on ignore. Have a nice day and goodbye. :)
You arrogantly told me to shut up because my opinion isn't valid because I'm not a physicist basically.

Then when I call you out, you gaslight me, and act like the self-righteous one.

todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
And by the way, what a random of a fight about quantum mechanics lol
As zeek said "whats the point of arguing like this if ur going to die anyways"

Reactions: letmejoindeath
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I grew up believing in heaven and that my family members who had died had gone there. Now, I'm more in the atheist camp.

I guess it depends on what you see your soul as- is it your sense of self? Or, is it simply a life force? I think most people are thinking about their sense of self when they are talking about their soul and a possible afterlife. That- beyond death, they will still be aware of who they are/were and where they are. But surely- that sense develops with our brain.

Horrible to consider but- what does a newborn baby's soul look like? Does it have a fully developed personality- of what that person is/was going to become? If the baby dies before it has developed- what is the state of its soul? Is it the essence of that person- who they had the potential to be?

I think people who like the thought of an afterlife want to believe that their soul is basically them but without their physical body- but that surely depends on what that person has experienced as recorded by their brain. Personally, I find it difficult to separate our sense of self from our brains.

I don't really see why some ethereal blank spirit would inhabit a living organism for a bit, take on its personality and then drift on to an afterlife some place else. If reincarnation is a thing- again- why would souls be needing to do this? Surely there would be an endgame to it. I just can't think what that could be.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist and Departme
L

lifeisbutadream

Warlock
Oct 4, 2018
"do you think the soul keeps going"

Yes.

Never the spirit was born;
the spirit shall cease to be never;
Never the time it was not;
End and Beginning are dreams!
Birth-less and deathless and changeless remaineth the spirit forever. Death hath not touched it at all, dead though the house of it seems!

- The Song Celestial or Bhagavad Ghita

Last edited:
cursedcure

cursedcure

palliative care
Oct 8, 2023
i hope there's nothing, i don't want to suffer eternally, i want to cease existing entirely