nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021
A utopia is hard to define because people want different things out of society, but imagine a world where everyone had food, water, housing, resources necessary to pursue their interests, physical and mental healthcare that actually works, etc. All of their needs and most or all of their wants. Do you think that the suicide rate would drop to essentially zero, or do you think that there will still be people who want to leave early?

Reactions: StateOfMind, Dr Iron Arc and GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
If the situation looked stable (unlike now) it would surely make suicide rates plummet. In this scenario I would have a gf, job, some form of social status, etc. No reason to kill myself then unless I am facing chronic pain or something, and that might be fixed by this magical healthcare, hah.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, Dr Iron Arc, RedHarlequin and 1 other person
RedHarlequin

RedHarlequin

Mage
Jul 8, 2018
I have the perfect family, job, boyfriend, moved to the perfect (in comparison) country.. Still there is nothing I or anyone else can do about my depression. It is hell and I am trapped.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic and lobster salad
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I could be much happier but I feel I would still be suicidal unless I get all the answers I seek. What are we? What's the universe? How can something come from nothing? Why are we born irf we're gonna die anyway? Etc.

Being part of this nonsense and unfair world makes me suicidal.

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic, elfgyoza, yive and 2 others
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
A utopia wouldn't stop mental illness, there would just be less triggers. In fact, if anything, seeing the massive increase in happy people would send the suicide rate soaring because they can't feel it.

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
If you can't connect with anyone in this utopia, you're going to feel lonely for the rest of your life and still suicide. I would if I couldn't connect with anyone, that means, no love, no friendships, and no one believing you that you're depressed. I think living in some sort of utopia will make more people blind to mental illness.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I can say for certain that whatever constitutes a utopia for me would likely actually make even more people want to CTB. The only way to ensure a utopia where everyone in it is actually happy would probably be by filling it with exact copies of the same person. Then again, even paradise can make one grow weary.
fun nickelodeon GIF

Reactions: demuic, elfgyoza, Fragile and 1 other person
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
One person's utopia...

Reactions: Skathon, demuic, nolongerhuman and 4 others
Aeathelina

Aeathelina

Little Homeless Girl
Feb 5, 2020
I think it would plummet but there would still be people who would CTB because even in this world where some have everything they still choose to die.
I know that if it was a utopia I would not want to die

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
Do they still age and see death as something inevitable?

Because if the answer is yes, then this will probably be something that everyone will consider at some point in their lives. Even if they somehow had perfect health up to that moment, I'm sure that many people will decide to end it sooner for one reason or another.

Also, I'd like to believe that an utopic civilization would give you this option and accept it as a human right, I don't see a civilization that keeps people alive against their will as utopic in any way.

Reactions: demuic and Dr Iron Arc
yive

yive

life is evil
Nov 6, 2020
yes. life is needs that do not need to exist

Reactions: Mentalmick
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Cool thread, no sarc.

Reactions: nolongerhuman and Some1's_Wasted_Fetus
Lucien

Lucien

A Nameless Monster
Mar 7, 2021
There's no clawing our way back to Eden. It's a maladaptive daydream to self-harm with if you choose to stare too long.
I wonder why people pushing utopic ideas (not referring to OP) are exclusively insidious.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Yes, I think a percentage of the population would always find life itself painful. The percentage might be smaller though.

Reactions: nolongerhuman
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
Even in a post scarcity society where people could live thousands of years with no ill health eventually they would just run out of things to experience or do and get bored then want to die.

Reactions: demuic and nolongerhuman
saltshaker

saltshaker

salt shaker, rule breaker
Jan 29, 2021
Heck yeah there would still be some suicide, albeit less. Humans are defined by their suffering, we are built to suffer, if you're not suffering to some extent you're a damn alien. If you had everything you wanted the first thing you would do is look extra hard and find a problem to be upset about and hopefully overcome.

Reactions: Fthis and pthnrdnojvsc
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
This is a 1976 film but it springs to mind where occupants think they will reincarnate at the age of 30, but to live in utopia you would have to die before elderly natural illnesses affect you.

Cheers

Geo

Reactions: Fragile
Moose.000

Moose.000

"Everything is meaningless" ~King Solomon
Apr 10, 2021
Unless utopia also consists of everyone having the perfect amount and balance of healthy brain chemicals nothing else will matter.

X

xaea13

Student
Jul 13, 2020
A utopia is hard to define because people want different things out of society, but imagine a world where everyone had food, water, housing, resources necessary to pursue their interests, physical and mental healthcare that actually works, etc. All of their needs and most or all of their wants. Do you think that the suicide rate would drop to essentially zero, or do you think that there will still be people who want to leave early?
I think would still happen, but not for material reasons. After all, many upper middle class or even wealthy people still CTB. You can give a person all the resources and help in the world, but ultimately it's up to the individual to give their own life meaning.

P

Pharmaruined

Nobody gets out alive
Sep 10, 2020
I could be much happier but I feel I would still be suicidal unless I get all the answers I seek. What are we? What's the universe? How can something come from nothing? Why are we born irf we're gonna die anyway? Etc.

Being part of this nonsense and unfair world makes me suicidal.
Why are we born if we're going to die? Exactly.. it's a prison planet to trap souls.. u never die. you just keep recycling into an endless flesh cage.. trickery and deception is used to get people to come back.. at least I hope, because being forced into this is even more of a terrifying prospect.. welcome to the matrix

• Hugs
Reactions: WornOutLife
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Why are we born if we're going to die? Exactly.. it's a prison planet to trap souls.. u never die. you just keep recycling into an endless flesh cage.. trickery and deception is used to get people to come back.. at least I hope, because being forced into this is even more of a terrifying prospect.. welcome to the matrix

I think we're living in a simulation for real and the world out there is extremely boring so, they just mess with us.
It's like when you play a videogame, you do it so as not to be bored and in games like GTA V, you just kill and hit people. Imagine someone like that controlling us...

And if we never die, like you said, damn! That would suck! I guess there's just a hell and it's this place. No heaven, no limbo, no escape. Just hell on Earth.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc, nolongerhuman and Pharmaruined
P

Pharmaruined

Nobody gets out alive
Sep 10, 2020
I think we're living in a simulation for real and the world out there is extremely boring so, they just mess with us.
It's like when you play a videogame, you do it so as not to be bored and in games like GTA V, you just kill and hit people. Imagine someone like that controlling us...

And if we never die, like you said, damn! That would suck! I guess there's just a hell and it's this place. No heaven, no limbo, no escape. Just hell on Earth.

This is the video that pretty much confirmed what I was already feeling.. doesn't mean it's true of course but for some reason it resonated so hard with me.

The fact we're deceived endlessly in life by people, the government, media etc it just makes sense it happens in death as well..

then you couple that with the matrix theory that many big brains beleive is happening and it just seems to be some congruency there .

And now billionaires are actively looking for ways to not actually "die " or be able to transfer their consciousness to another body, or even merge man with machine to avoid starting over.. it just adds further reinforcement. Adding middle layers.. matrix within a matrix

All this has been done before by higher life forms.. we're just in different stages..

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WornOutLife
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020

This is a 4/10 simulation at best. There's barely anything fun to do if you don't spawn into it with extremely fortunate circumstances and the game is too glitchy sometimes. The soundtrack is also lacking it's just mostly ambience until you go seek out the music yourself. The graphics are okay though but it could use a little more color.

• Yay!
Reactions: Ame and WornOutLife
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
This is a 4/10 simulation at best. There's barely anything fun to do if you don't spawn into it with extremely fortunate circumstances and the game is too glitchy sometimes. The soundtrack is also lacking it's just mostly ambience until you go seek out the music yourself. The graphics are okay though but it could use a little more color.

Love your review!

I think this game is quite nerfed. They don't want us to fly or have any kind of superpowers.
Is the real world out there so perfect and boring that they needed to created this nonsense hell? haha.

They'll probably go crazy when Elon Musk gets to Mars. They'll have to add a big expansion/DLC to the game lol

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Love your review!

I think this game is quite nerfed. They don't want us to fly or have any kind of superpowers.
Is the world there so perfect and boring that they needed to created this nonsense hell? haha.

They'll probably go crazy when Elon Musk gets to Mars. They'll have to add a big expansion/DLC to the game lol
And that's another thing, all the actually cool stuff like going to space is locked behind a heavy paywall of Microtransactions. EA must have designed this game.

• Yay!
Reactions: Ame, demuic and WornOutLife
Pen>Sword

Pen>Sword

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Jan 13, 2021
Close to zero, but not totally zero. Humans are still jerks to each other. There are stigmatized parts of society such as those with mental illness, social pariahs, those with serious criminal histories, "cancelled individuals", stressed-from-work-even-though-they-are-famous-rich-and-powerful, just to name a few. There are those people who really has no good reason to die, but they see it as pointless to stay (existential crisis), so they just want to CTB.

The other factor are diseases, especially terminal diseases. Most would want to CTB just to get it over with.

S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Best way to answer this question is : do the rich CTB and the answer is yes. They have access to pretty much any material thing and many still CTB

charlotte greentea

charlotte greentea

Misery Chick
Apr 2, 2021
I think that the improvement of material conditions would greatly reduce the amount of suicide in the world. If people's needs are provided for and they don't have a lot of stress upon their life because of the need to work so much and barely scrape by, suicide rates are going to drop. But there are still going to be people who want to kill themselves no matter what. But I think there's even more hope for those people who still want to kill themselves as well, because they have a better world in which to try to get to a place mentally that they actually want to keep living.