Do you think life is good or bad in general?

• I think life is good , just that bad things happened to me

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • I think life is bad in general

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
It seems to me 99% of the population irl think "Life is good". i was wondering what % that is on this website.

Do you think life is good or bad? Why?

I think life is bad in general. I think any human or other sentient animal can fall into a trap of unbearable pain any day. And i don't think there is anything that makes it worth the worst pain or torture imaginable.

there are many horrible things like kidnapping torture, stroke ,cancer ( 40% lifetime chance), diseases, oppression , injustice, unfairness, lies, suicide prohibition, disabling accidents, suffering, scams, grief, depression, etc. that can happen to a human . There is pain that is unbearable every second.

There are so many things that to me are so bad that the mere existence of these in the world or in life make life bad. There is no objective purpose to life. All the effort work a job , chores , dealing with problems , diseases,suffering and living under threat of extreme torture for no reason makes life bad to me.

These are just a few reasons.

I couldn't find a poll on the internet that asked this specific question. Maybe they just assume that "life is so good" that it doesn't need to be asked. I'm guessing they assume : "how can it be questioned it's just an indisputable fact of life that life is beautiful sacred a gift". I'm talking about life itself is it a good thing or a bad thing. I think it's the worst thing in the universe as nothing else causes extreme unbearable pain. but i'm just touching on this. The things i have found out about how bad life is I think if people would know 1/1000 of how bad life can get they would never have children

The extreme torture that is possible is much worse that the supposedly good things are good

Many more reasons why life is bad and this world evil. This is a suicide prohibition state. they made nembutal and assisted suicide crimes making this world a prison. life is an imposition no one ever asked for it's prison / slavery / imposition / torture . most humans die in nursing homes of painful diseases after suffering painful diseases for years in old age. the animal body is a prison we are a slave to. so is the mind . so is this world. one prison inside another mind body life world prisons . all this struggle and hell for no purpose. life is meaningless.

In addition all the evil in the world , oppression, prices skyrocketing for everything. not like life was good for humans 100,000 years ago always hungry had to make everything yourself no products no tech no houses still diseases had to walk miles to kill an animal to eat, no medicine had to live with kidney stones starvation etc ..

There's no objective purpose or meaning to life for several reasons including because humans evolved from a cell and before that a DNA chemical reaction . Are the children different than the parent , the Eukaryotic cell ? I think not

Evolution is true . A human is just cells, the Eukaryotic cell : what possible meaning could life have? none. A brain that can suffer extreme pain...
Evolution_3.jpg

Many more reasons... someone should write a book exposing the matrix

Last edited:
Reactions: Venessolotic, AvoidingMyself, murun_b and 3 others
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Depends who you ask and when.

When humans feel good they enjoy it obviously and when they experience more pain than they can handle they don't.

The issue with life is that suffering is inevitable and our bodies are very limited. We don't have much control and those who think they do didn't realise yet that nothing lasts forever.

It is never black and white but it is safe to say that as long as there is life everyone pays a price. Some more some less but all do.

• Love
Reactions: ctvunny, AvoidingMyself, Boller Bryant and 2 others
Finalnight

Finalnight

Cbting 07/03/24, love you all.
Aug 16, 2023
Depends who you ask and when.

When humans feel good they enjoy it obviously and when they experience more pain than they can handle they don't.

The issue with life is that suffering is inevitable and our bodies are very limited. We don't have much control and those who think they do didn't realise yet that nothing lasts forever.

It is never black and white but it is safe to say that as long as there is life everyone pays a price. Some more some less but all do.
This is so accurate and true
Thank you ❤️

Reactions: R_N and pthnrdnojvsc
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It's beyond bad, existence itself is absolutely horrifying and repulsive, it's very tragic how life even exists at all. No matter what I'll always see it as preferable to cease existing as simply just existing is something so incredibly harmful, it disturbs me how there is no limit as to how much one can suffer in this hellish reality where chance so senselessly determines everything.

To me existence is like a virus that just creates harm, suffering and unnecessary problems there was never a need for. In this reality there is endless amounts of torture and cruelty yet if life never existed nothing and nobody would be able to mourn for it's absence.

To believe that existence is good is incredibly delusional and I see existing as a conscious being to be so incredibly burdensome. It's extreme cruelty to impose someone with the ability to suffer in a decaying flesh prison that they are a slave to, it's certainly undeniable that the true problem lies in existence itself.

• Hugs
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, worthIess, Rogue Proxy and 3 others
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
Life is neutral to me, as is death. Good and bad are subjective and if we are to go by majority rules then it would be good and death would be bad, which is the basis for why I said it was good. I can't really relate to either answer, but I trust those who do, so if a majority say one thing then I will agree with them.

Reactions: murun_b
Leavesfromthevine

Leavesfromthevine

Untreated Trauma
Nov 23, 2023
There is a lot of beauty in life itself. Although I've never experienced a majority of the good in life I can still acknowledge it exist. I've learned to appreciate the beauty life has to offer which for me is appreciation for a lot of nature since thats my favorite thing about life.

Maybe in another life I can enjoy it better, as for this life my time is almost over.

Reactions: thgilrats
thgilrats

thgilrats

kmsing while caramelldansen plays
May 29, 2023
I voted that life is bad but I am actually more in the middle leaning into that option. I think it really depends on where and when you are born. And what happened to you.

Aside from the fact that I personally do not believe in strict "good" or "bad", life just isn't usually that simple and that strict. It can be horrible under certain circumstances, but it doesn't mean that it's all bad, even though wars and horrible deseases and suffering exists.

You know what I just realised. (And I will actually change my choice in this poll after I send this post). I think that life is, in general, pretty good. The main problem in it is humanity. Because we are the ones who create the suffering.

Life doesn't have an attitude or any ill intentions – it's just the way it is. Life doesn't harm us because it wants to. But humans do.

pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Aug 12, 2019
Life is neutral to me, as is death. Good and bad are subjective and if we are to go by majority rules then it would be good and death would be bad, which is the basis for why I said it was good. I can't really relate to either answer, but I trust those who do, so if a majority say one thing then I will agree with them.
If someone is kidnapped into a basement. Then tortured repeatedly , mentally and physically (worst tortures imaginable). what % of those kidnapped will think that is bad and want to be let out escape? I think that is bad and most people will.

This has happened to a lot of people . millions go missing every year. there is a non-zero chance of it happening to anyone. what is worth that? clearly the bad outweighs the good. imo most of what they say are "good" things are the subjective things like yotube , social media , tv , sports, news, etc.

no one can guarantee something horrible won't happen to any human any day.

around 500,000 people go missing in the U.S alone every year. how many of those people are prisoners now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Proxy
sanlcx

sanlcx

Oct 21, 2023
Things like good, bad, evil, justice and whatnot only exist to us humans. For nature, life is neither good or bad, life just is.
But answering this question as a fellow human, i think it's bad (i don't think the good outweigh the bad right now, maybe in a hundred years things will get better)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moshimoshi
SpiritualDeath

SpiritualDeath

I return to the raiding shadows of death.
Sep 9, 2023
Life is bad in general.

Recently I wrote an article about Efilism and put it on a forum back in my home country (a very bold move), and it's getting some clicks.

Of course I got a lot of pro-life trolls, but those are same old shit that I've heard like hundreds of time before, in a different language (literally the same shit being said in a different place in a different language, "you're philosophizing your depression", "why don't you kys", "the majority of people affirm life so you have a problem" kind of things. There's literally nothing new. It's hilarious. It's like pro-lifers worldwide are all sentient bots and they're just put on repeat lmao).

Surprisingly I got some likes and comments agreeing with me as well. I wasn't expecting there are people in my country (a pretty fucked up place imo) actually agreeing with Efilism, or have had similar thoughts before but were never able to express it.

A lot more people than we think (outside SaSu) would agree that life is bad or at least problematic to some extent.

Reactions: Venessolotic and pthnrdnojvsc
BarnabasCollins

BarnabasCollins

Nov 16, 2023
Can't really add much more here. For 1%, or people born into fantastic wealth, it's probably pretty good. They get insulated from all the suffering inflicted on others. For those people who get off on or get ahead by inflicting suffering, they probably experience demented joy from it.

Life, as a natural phenomenon, is just neutral. However, humans inflict suffering, and that can make life unbearable for fellow humans. Thus, for a great many human beings, life is bad in general.

• Love
quietwater

quietwater

delusional poet
May 2, 2023
It seems to me 99% of the population irl think "Life is good". i was wondering what % that is on this website.

I think life is bad in general. I think any human or other sentient animal can fall into a trap of unbearable pain any day. And i don't think there is anything that makes it worth the worst pain or torture imaginable.

there are many horrible things like kidnapping torture, stroke ,cancer ( 40% lifetime chance), diseases, oppression , injustice, unfairness, lies, suicide prohibition, disabling accidents, suffering, etc. that can happen to a human . There is pain that is unbearable every second.

There are so many things that to me are so bad that the mere existence of these in the world or in life make life bad. There is no objective purpose to life. All the effort work a job , chores , dealing with problems , diseases,suffering and living under threat of extreme torture for no reason makes life bad to me.

I don't think life is neither "good" or "bad", but I voted "good" here because it illustrates my viewpoint better.
I think life is an experience, and as such, it can be "good" or "bad" evenly. I think life as "life" only is "born" to be neutral, and it's what happens in it that dictates if it's gonna be good or bad.

By saying this I am not implying that I think society is "just" or "even", that is a factor that influences life. Objectives in our society are always the same, as you say: working, having a job, dealing with problems (often economic ones).
But I don't think that's the objective of life.

Life is not society, life is influenced by it. Life is a passive and neutral being that is attacked by horrible things and embraced by wonderful ones.
And the fact that bad things can happen doesn't mean good things can't happen. I firmly believe that there are people who are happy to be alive, and that life can be good. That it has the potential to be good.

As it has the potential to be bad. As you say, a lot of terrible things happen to a lot of people, and I firmly believe that there are people who aren't happy to be alive. I am one of them, after all.

Personally, I think life has the potential to be bad or to be good, and that potential is not "just" or "even" because we live in a world were powerful people step on less powerful ones, but life itself? It has, and people can take it however they feel.
Bad things happened to me, so I don't value my life, as it's not a good one in any way, but I don't think it's fundamentally the same for everyone else.

Reactions: Abyssal
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Aug 12, 2019
Life is bad in general.

Recently I wrote an article about Efilism and put it on a forum back in my home country (a very bold move), and it's getting some clicks.

Of course I got a lot of pro-life trolls, but those are same old shit that I've heard like hundreds of time before, in a different language (literally the same shit being said in a different place in a different language, "you're philosophizing your depression", "why don't you kys", "the majority of people affirm life so you have a problem" kind of things. There's literally nothing new. It's hilarious. It's like pro-lifers worldwide are all sentient bots and they're just put on repeat lmao).

Surprisingly I got some likes and comments agreeing with me as well. I wasn't expecting there are people in my country (a pretty fucked up place imo) actually agreeing with Efilism, or have had similar thoughts before but were never able to express it.

A lot more people than we think (outside SaSu) would agree that life is bad or at least problematic to some extent.
I agree life is bad in general. have you seen the efilism sub-reddit? Mostly efilists but some pro-lifers go on there to challenge efilism

maybe you can post your article on efilism here and or on the subreddit ?

Reactions: Venessolotic
LifeCouldBeADream

LifeCouldBeADream

Why she bring these bright eyes to this dark place
Dec 13, 2023
In my opinion, I think it's all about your psyche and outlook. The universe will one day cease to exist and everything will be forgotten. Is life in general bad for the universe? I don't think it minds owr exctince, but I think suffering for anything and everyone is awful. Personally, my life sucks, but I'm sure for some it's pretty epic, so I guess at the end of the day, it depends on who you ask, so no, I dont think life is bad just for the unfortunate.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Those who don't put in effort to their lives are doomed to had bad ones. So putting in effort into life is required to live a good one. What happens when I want a good life that's effortless too? Impossible. Life is about trying to improve yourself constantly, and if you don't you're fucked. That's so tiring. I'd rather not exist. I'd define a bad life as having to do all the things that people with good lives do, but also while having extra responsibilities on top of that. Either way I still don't like it.

• Love
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
I think life is neutral, but there's a lot of man-made things that have made life bad for everyone.

• Hugs
jussaloser

jussaloser

Jun 20, 2023
theres a lot of movies that show the beauty of life.
some people are just not destined for a happy ending.

Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
If someone is kidnapped into a basement. Then tortured repeatedly , mentally and physically (worst tortures imaginable). what % of those kidnapped will think that is bad and want to be let out escape? I think that is bad and most people will.

This has happened to a lot of people . millions go missing every year. there is a non-zero chance of it happening to anyone. what is worth that? clearly the bad outweighs the good. imo most of what they say are "good" things are the subjective things like yotube , social media , tv , sports, news, etc.

no one can guarantee something horrible won't happen to any human any day.

around 500,000 people go missing in the U.S alone every year. how many of those people are prisoners now?

With all due respect, that doesn't change my answer. I see where you are trying to go with this example, but ultimately "is torture good?" And "is life good?" Are different questions.

"Is life good or bad?" It is subjective and I can give or take.

"is torture good?" No, obviously no. That's not subjective, that's fucking obvious.

You say life is torture, I don't doubt that you are truly experiencing that and your life has been a bad thing, but I say life is merely life: neutral and subjective, so I will go with the statistical majority because I don't have an answer for myself.

K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
I think it depends on the life you live and the person you are.

For some people life is incredible, even if it may still have its ups and downs.

For some people it's mostly good.

For others, like myself, it has largely been bad but with good things in it.

And then for even others it is complete shit from top to bottom.

D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
Whether life is good or bad is a question that comes later. The first question is whether it was needed in the very first place . If life has evolved just by chance...randomly , then there is inherently no meaning to it. By creating lives , we are basically creating needs. Needs that might have the probability of not getting met. We are also creating the possibility of pain and suffering. As David Benatar states , if one is not born , one is not deprived of any pleasure..since the unborn has no knowledge of pleasure. But once one is born , the door to the possibility of pain and suffering also opens up . Because of this assymetry, creation of life is not justified.

The only scenario where the above explanation doesn't hold true is when life and creation are not accidental and there is a higher power having its own reason and purpose for creation. In that case , life , sentience , consciousness becomes the most important commodity. Also everything we go through becomes meaningful as it might be serving some purpose we are still unaware of.

• Love
Reactions: Caramelized and pthnrdnojvsc
Mistiie

Mistiie

This is a Junly moment
Nov 10, 2023
I think it depends on the life you live and the person you are.

For some people life is incredible, even if it may still have its ups and downs.

For some people it's mostly good.

For others, like myself, it has largely been bad but with good things in it.

And then for even others it is complete shit from top to bottom.
This is correct. The only people who are going to answer that life is good are people who have experienced that good life for most of their life, or even just a little.
The only people who are going to answer that life is bad are people who have experienced torturous conditions during their life, relative to their willingness to put up with it.

Switch the people in each scenario round (enjoyers into a bad life, haters into a good life) and you'll see those people adopt the opposite views in the same way people in our reality accept it as it is now. I can guarantee that no one here would be saying life is bad if they had a bad life. What this question really is is whether or not you've had a bad life or a good life.

Because of this assymetry, creation of life is not justified.
I don't think this interpretation holds true at all, because you're not acknowledging that symmetry is formed because negativity is present in the first place. You're arguing that by creating needs, we're creating misery for those who don't have those needs fulfiled, but you've ignored that when those needs are fulfiled, people are contented, they feel positive. There absolutely is symmetry in life, it's just that you have to look at both sides of the coin to find it. In a lack of life, there is no negativity or positivity, and in life, there is both. People seem to conveniently ignore that positivity is present when negativity is, though, even if having positivity is mandated by the presence of negativity caused by needs - after all, the universe is binary. You can either be, or not be, at a base level. There is no third option at the core. Similarly, you cannot have one option. There isn't negativity and nothing else, there's negativity and positivity. Negativity flourishes in the absence of positivity and vice versa, and one usually causes the other in some way. A lion who eats a gazelle experiences pleasure. The gazelle experiences distress as a result of that pleasure. The rich keep the wealth to themselves and can entertain themselves with whatever they want, creating immense pleasure, but the poor experience distress at not being able to fuel their life. If that isn't symmetry, what is?

Although, I do agree with you in saying that life may not necessarily have a purpose. Although, whether or not that's necessarily a negative thing is up to interpretation; I don't personally believe it requires purpose, and that such a thing can be manufactured later on to give purpose retroactively (life came into existence just because, but it was warranted/good that it did so because I can enjoy things, for example.)

Last edited:
Reactions: KafkaF and Abyssal
lostinmythoughts

lostinmythoughts

Student
Nov 30, 2023
Bad!!!

Reactions: Venessolotic and pthnrdnojvsc
lostforever77

lostforever77

Dec 13, 2023

there are many horrible things like kidnapping torture, stroke ,cancer ( 40% lifetime chance), diseases, oppression , injustice, unfairness, lies, suicide prohibition, disabling accidents, suffering, scams, grief, depression, etc. that can happen to a human . There is pain that is unbearable every second.

There are so many things that to me are so bad that the mere existence of these in the world or in life make life bad. There is no objective purpose to life. All the effort work a job , chores , dealing with problems , diseases,suffering and living under threat of extreme torture for no reason makes life bad to me. There's no objective purpose or meaning to life for several reasons including because humans evolved from a cell and before that a DNA chemical reaction . Are the children different than the parent , the Eukaryotic cell ? I think not

Evolution is true . A human is just cells, the Eukaryotic. cell what possible meaning could life have? none. A brain that can suffer extreme pain...
Evolution_3.jpg

I couldn't find a poll on the internet that asked this specific question. Maybe they just assume that "life is so good" that it doesn't need to be asked. I'm guessing they assume : "how can it be questioned it's just an indisputable fact of life that life is beautiful sacred a gift". I'm talking about life itself is it a good thing or a bad thing. I think it's the worst thing in the universe as nothing else causes extreme unbearable pain. but i'm just touching on this. The things i have found out about how bad life is I think if people would know 1/1000 of how bad life can get they would never have children

The extreme torture that is possible is much worse that the supposedly good things are good

Many more reasons why life is bad and this world evil. This is a suicide prohibition state. they made nembutal and assisted suicide crimes making this world a prison. life is an imposition no one ever asked for it's prison / slavery / imposition / torture . most humans die in nursing homes of painful diseases after suffering painful diseases for years in old age. the animal body is a prison we are a slave to. so is the mind . so is this world. one prison inside another mind body life world prisons . all this struggle and hell for no purpose. life is meaningless.

In addition all the evil in the world , oppression, prices skyrocketing for everything. not like life was good for humans 100,000 years ago always hungry had to make everything yourself no products no tech no houses still diseases had to walk miles to kill an animal to eat, no medicine had to live with kidney stones starvation etc ..

I don't think life is either good nor bad, but humans make it so. We are the only creatures on the face of the earth that basicly dictates the encorment that we live in. That is as a whole, the human race has choosen this is that they want. And what they want is to be as mean, selfish and cruel as they can. If we had different values we would have a different world.

pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Aug 12, 2019

There's no objective purpose or meaning to life for several reasons including because humans evolved from a cell and before that a DNA chemical reaction . Are the children different than the parent , the Eukaryotic cell ? I think not

Evolution is true . A human is just cells, the Eukaryotic cell : what possible meaning could life have? none. A brain that can suffer extreme pain...
Evolution_3.jpg

Surprised by the results so far . 59% think life is bad in general. I thought it would be like 10% .
People are young here but imo more aware of reality than the general population.

1.I didn't emphasize how old age makes life bad by itself the threat of old age can be a book by itself

2.Also if you have a full time job makes life 1000 worse.

3. Always hungry , unfulfilled needs

If you are young healthy that's level 0 all humans have to suffer all this for no objective purpose.But still always hungry unfulfilled needs . Under threat of diseases, disabilities, kidnapping torture, extreme torture, always under threat of extreme torture. And still have to work to feed animal body, take out trash, chores , wash clothes many other garbage. Trapped in an animal body that can suffer extreme pain ... How is all this good?

Then level one 1 work a Job makes life every thing a 1000 more difficult and worse.

Level 2 chronic disability or disease makes the above and life a billion times worse.

Level 3 old age another billion times worse.

Its pure hell if you have to work a job are old and disabled and have a freaking property to fix maintain also a car to maintain

leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I relate to Buddhist teachings that existence causes suffering because of things we want and don't have. But some people suffer more than others.
For me personally I would be happier to not exist but there are many people who like their life.

BlockHammer

BlockHammer

Confused loser
Oct 25, 2023
The answer for this is more nuance that i think it is, but what im really sure about is that depend on the experience and the amount of good/bad thing happened in your life if there's a lot of good thing happened, u likely gonna answer that life is good and if it's bad , then the answer probably will be bad also.

But there's an odd occurence where people who have a bad life, yet still think that life is good, the cause of it probably either religion or that he consumed too much albert camue philosophy. For me personally, i cant say that my life is really that bad because there's still slme gold thing that keep me alive but i do felt depressed and worthless, so that's why for now i said that my life is neutral not good nor bad