suicidalstrawbabie

suicidalstrawbabie

Jul 6, 2020
I used to be super religious from 5 (brainwashed lol) to about 12, where I obsessively researched a bunch of shit, read the whole bible, realized there's no way this is real. This isn't a thread for debate by the way, I respect anyone's beliefs and would hope they would mine.

However, a big part of survival instincts is fear of what's beyond death, and even though I don't believe in the afterlife, it's literally impossible to comprehend being nothing.
I don't think in any world there'd be a possibility of no religion or no ideation of the afterlife, because it's only natural to wonder. But I'm curious if we didn't have the idea in our heads, would we be able to kill ourselves easier?
Survival instincts are huge but I know beyond the body not wanting to die, there's psychological factors as well.

Reactions: Alucard
Alucard

Alucard

Wizard
Feb 8, 2019
La religion est aux instincts ce qu'un bouclier est au corps.

Reactions: suicidalstrawbabie and Varstraben
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
This is very interesting. I've always thought of SI as purely biological. After all, it exists across species and is not unique to humans. In fact, the desire to survive and potentially pass on our genetic material is one of the central principles of biology.

But in my two failed attempts, I think the psychological (perhaps religious?) elements have played more of a role in preventing me from succeeding than anything. Difficult to say for certain, I suppose.

Reactions: Lorntroubles and suicidalstrawbabie
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i wouldnt say religion is the thing. i dont believe in the afterlife, i have a religion but its more of a "DIY" type thing where you can believe what you want. theres no one specific god and no ones right or wrong. its your own personal beliefs. but what connects everyone is the rede " An it harm none do what ye will " point is that yes its a fear of what happens after but religion doesnt play a big role in it.

unless you mean like religion never existed and no one ever thought about death it was just kinda there. then yeah the SI probably wouldnt be there as much. of course a curious mind will probably question it sooner or later and we'll still end up where we are today.

Reactions: suicidalstrawbabie
Zappfe lover

Zappfe lover

Experienced
Jun 24, 2020
I think it's the other way around. Religion is a byproduct of SI.

Reactions: Arvinneedstodie and suicidalstrawbabie
Zappfe lover

Zappfe lover

Experienced
Jun 24, 2020
What differs humans from other animals is our capacity to contemplate our own mortality. From that, we always try to find some kind of justification for our existence.

"No... this can't be it... there must be something more. We are simply born to die? Of course not. We are just part of the plan of some superior being."

This is not exclusive to religion. People have kids because it gives them meaning. Search for the ideal jobs to get meaning.... everything is born from the search of meaning.

Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Lorntroubles and Wisdom3_1-9
V

Varstraben

Student
May 25, 2020
Well, my religion didn't condemn suicide and the general purpose is "live like you want, don't let someone or any false prophet drive your life" and any human natural impulse are normal and no one should ignore or hold back them. Some variant say "You decide how to drive your life and your death, everyone should die proudly, neither of old age, nor of disease or depression and choose death rather than dishonor. Death is the orgasm of life! Live like this, in the most intense way possible". But the main purpose is : life is your, do what you want with, the others don't have to dictate your choices.

And in fact, I'm here on a suicidal forum, and still alive. So religion don't power my survival instinct, it's only my own and the human body survival instinct that make me still here. The day I ctb, I want to do it with a big smile, with a strong happy to death. My mind is ok with it, every time I think to death I'm happy, but I don't try nothing. I've already do some try at the past, with smile, but fail because of survival instinct, that also work while being unconscious.

alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
It's somewhat easy to remove survival instincts if you learn about determinism, how free will is an illusion and thus all religion is nonsense. The hard part imo is finding a method you want that you can trust. My method I've picked has been dragging me along in this shit hole of a universe. I want MAiD in Canada. Luckily I'm calling it quits and going with suicide by hanging in a few months. Anyway I really think reading about determinism and realizing everything is just a forced experience helps with committing suicide.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Zappfe lover and Joey
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
It truly depends on the person and the religion, honestly. there were some cults that ended in mass suicide where some people voluntarily chose to die just because their leader told them that this was the way. so in a way, that religion took away their survival instinct.

but more than the religion itself, I think social norms and standards have more to do with it, they also end up shaping religion more than the other way around. there are plenty of atheist pro-lifers who still think it's morally wrong to die by our own hands and will protest against it even without the morality and fear of afterlife that many religions carry.

Reactions: Maravillosa
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I'd say it depends on the person. Sometimes, even people who are non-religious may fear death or the feeling of just "nothingness" and it would be entirely independent from religion or a deity. I suppose for people fear death because of an "afterlife", then yes, it might make it a bit easier to overcome SI. Ultimately, it would vary from person to person.

Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
For some people it could be if that's something that concerns or worries them. Although survival instinct goes beyond just mental preserviation. Our bodies will work hard to keep us alive regardless of our feelings or intent.

I'm not religious so this would not change anything for me personally

Reactions: suicidalstrawbabie
I

I screwed up

Waiting for the damn bus
Sep 11, 2019
As one of the posters mentioned it depends from person to person ... Anyway SI is a bitch and I hope I can kick it sooner than later