Votes: 20 31.7%
  • No, I think it should be well thought out

Votes: 43 68.3%

• Total voters
Rustysoupcan

Rustysoupcan

I'm sensitive
May 2, 2020
Obviously all of us believe in the right to die, but do you support impulsive suicide? Or do you think it should be well thought out first?

Reactions: Pen>Sword and Dutchyala
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Depends on the method.

Reactions: Lamebrain, Pisceslilith, Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and 3 others
Pen>Sword

Pen>Sword

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Jan 13, 2021
It should be well thought out because death is final and irreversible. If I were a politician designing this, I would make it mandatory for the client to speak to a psychiatrist, counselor or therapist for free before letting them use the suicide service. There are few ways a person that may skip those appointments: they have terminal illness, they spoke to one before for a number of times (at least 10 sessions, but this is an arbitrary number), mental illness, there are many more. They should be 18+ (let's face it: puberty sucks, but that feeling may just be a "phase"), unless if there are good reasons why they need to CTB (eg. health-related reasons). This is what I can think of right now.

The psychiatrist, counselor or therapist may give medications, or refer to social worker if needed to prevent someone to CTB. I believe that any adult may CTB without questions asked, but whoever is signing up for this should know what they're signing up for. If the sessions failed, they may CTB with the suicide service without any restrictions.

I know that this is heavily flawed, but this is what I had in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ame, FuneralCry, Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and 4 others
Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
I don't think it's my place to judge how others wish to die.

• Love
Reactions: Pisceslilith, Pen>Sword, disabledandhopeless and 7 others
RegretedFeeling

RegretedFeeling

Student
Mar 21, 2021
Copy cat jumpers

Reactions: Lost Magic
electrojellysoup

electrojellysoup

Apr 19, 2021
IIRC impulsive suicides are the most likely to be regretted by survivors and often resulting from an acute state of distress not a chronic terminal state. Obviously that's not all of them but that decision should be made based on clear-headed logic.

Reactions: BandAddict, bea1974, Ame and 6 others
RedHarlequin

RedHarlequin

Mage
Jul 8, 2018
I think it's possible to want to ctb for a long time and then act on impulse for one reason or the other. This is what has happened to me twice. In those cases I support it.

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, BandAddict, bea1974 and 5 others
D

Dutchyala

Mar 6, 2021
I wish they didn't have to. But yes because our society makes it hard for people to CTB it's something that boosts courage. Pain is cruel in some methods but what about long-term pain this person would suffer living. It's sad and I wish it hadn't to be this way and we all could go peacefully.

Reactions: bea1974 and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
Rn110bg101

Rn110bg101

I want to go home
Apr 18, 2019
It depends on the situation, if they've had these thoughts for a long time or not.

Reactions: Pisceslilith, demuic, RedHarlequin and 1 other person
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
I feel like with impulsive, after a blow-of-fate it's easier to overcome SI.
If you begin to accept your shitty life circumstances it will become more difficult to kill yourself from a psychological perspective.
As for myself, I haven't yet given up on giving up :pfff:
If I stay alive so they can continue to torture me they win.

• Hugs
Reactions: bea1974, GenesAndEnvironment and Bedrock48
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
I wouldn't say I support it but I wouldn't also say that I hate or think it's a bad thing.
In the end, everyone's can decide if they think it through or just decide
"yes, this pineapple pizza is really bad and my day is ruined. I can't live in a world with such a disgusting creation. I'll now go ahead and drink my SN in the bathroom"..

Hey, if you decide to ctb over a pineapple pizza, you have the freedom to it so :ahhha:

But guess what, they're also serving a strawberry and potato pizza in a fast food restaurant in my area lmao

• Yay!
Reactions: bea1974, Lost Magic, demuic and 1 other person
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
It's not about supporting it or nor supporting it, I believe in the right of the individual to decide what's best for them.

However, big decisions that have irreversible outcomes should be considered and reconsidered until one reaches a conclusion, specially if there are good alternatives to them.

Informed and well thought decisions should be celebrated, but many people are naturally impulsive, and it's their choice to make, too.

Reactions: bea1974, deflationary, demuic and 1 other person
Sslsh

Sslsh

Experienced
Jan 29, 2020
I have pulled out atleast 5 times over the years because of my self imposed "give it one more day" rule right at the moment of truth. I won't lie, I regret not doing it the first time almost every day, but hey, here I am

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, OblivionSeeker, bea1974 and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I prefer to have a proper plan but sometimes, I'm so depressed that I think I might ctb impulsively and randomly.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pisceslilith and bea1974
blue_muse

blue_muse

Mage
Jan 31, 2021
I think it should be well thought out because, there's not always a way of knowing the long-term damage an impulsive suicide can result in.

LakatosDiogenesz

LakatosDiogenesz

I can tie a noose with my eyes closed
Nov 21, 2020
Everyone has a right to their own life and choices and no other person can be in a better position to make these choices for them. No one's talking about banning "impulsive marriage" and "impulsive pregnancy".
You can't take away someone's choices just because they are dumb, even if they will/would regret it. Bodily autonomy should be absolute.

Reactions: Rustysoupcan and bea1974
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
It's not exactly as cut and dry as yes or no. It's case dependent.

Reactions: Rustysoupcan, BandAddict and UseItOrLoseIt
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Who am I to judge people who commit an impulsive suicide? They "lose their mind/SI" for some reason & can't help but do it

Reactions: Pisceslilith, bea1974 and UseItOrLoseIt
ExhaustedExistence

ExhaustedExistence

Life is just waiting for death
Mar 26, 2021
I think it's the only way for me, because I overthink almost everything.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, bea1974 and UseItOrLoseIt
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I support it as in I don't think someone should be prevented from ending their lives just because someone else deems it 'impulsive'. I don't think convincing/providing advice to someone who wants to die is a bad thing, but forcing them to live is wrong.

Reactions: Pisceslilith, bea1974 and DoodleBug
blue_muse

blue_muse

Mage
Jan 31, 2021
Not meaning to generalise here; I think those who favour a well thought out suicide speak from a place when considering possible factors such as the aftermath, involuntary hospital holds, ostracism, health repercussions etc. arising from an impulsive suicide. The ongoing discussion is proof there's no right answer.

Reactions: Rustysoupcan, bea1974, UseItOrLoseIt and 1 other person
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I'm prone to changing my mind and procrastinating. My ctb will probably be impulsive, but I will prepare everything to make it as secure as possible. I'm talking concretely about SN, since I chose this method. I will probably not follow the 48 hour regime but I have everything I need for the stat dose.

My impulsive act will be secondary to my primary plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Rustysoupcan and bea1974
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I'm prone to changing my mind and procrastinating. My ctb will probably be impulsive, but I will prepare everything to make it as secure as possible. I'm talking concretely for the SN, since I chose this method. I will probably not follow the 48 hour regime but I have everything I need for the stat dose.

My impulsive act will be secondary to my primary plan.
Exactly. I think there is a healthy in between of impulsive and not. Theres 3 different situations.

1) this is the first test I've ever failed I have to kms over it
2) my life sucks and I have a (general) plan but no set date, it happens when it happens
3) I have a plan, it's thought out and I'm doing it on this day.

As seen in example 2 impulsive isn't always completely impulsive. I believe in talking to the person, getting a feel for the situation and then offering advice with the understanding that this isn't my life and the final desision isn't mine and advice/moves taken vary depending on the person and how impulsive it is, did this person already try to get help, if so what.

Deciding to talk someone off the ledge depends on a lot of different things, it's not as simple as do or dont.

Reactions: Rustysoupcan, bea1974, UseItOrLoseIt and 1 other person
S

Some1's_Wasted_Fetus

Student
Mar 20, 2021
Yes and no. When I try to elaborately plan out my suicide I become overwhelmed, too exhausted to do it and just prolong and stall even longer. If I had access to a firearm and could blow my brains out just this instance (after researching proper position), I'd do it. Having a final meal, and setting a date makes me less likely to do it and change my mind because my body will anticipate it and SI will grow stronger. I'm still planning how I would walk up to the gun shop and ask about pistols as a first (and only) time gun owner. The planning is too exhausting imo. Can't buy from a friend because I'd feel awful putting that kind of guilt on them too. Mine will more than likely be on impulse (with a little bit of planning) because I DO NOT want to be found early/survive and be left disabled for the rest of my life. There's a balance between the two

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Blondi and bea1974
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I think there is a healthy in between of impulsive and not.
Yes!
Deciding to talk someone off the ledge depends on a lot of different things, it's not as simple as do or dont.
A third party is involved only in my conscience. The main reason I postpone is that my SI is entangled with the instinct to protect the people I love. But nobody can rationalize me out of it.
I think those who favour a well thought out suicide speak from a place when considering possible factors such as the aftermath, involuntary hospital holds, ostracism, health repercussions etc. arising from an impulsive suicide.
Plus, this. I had a botched attempt. I was exclusively impulsive and didn't think things through. And the consequences sucked. Nevermore.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: bea1974 and blue_muse
blue_muse

blue_muse

Mage
Jan 31, 2021
Plus, this. I had a botched attempt. I was exclusively impulsive and didn't think things through. And the consequences sucked. Nevermore.
Sorry to hear what happened. Failed attempts can have the effect of being just as scarring as the attempt itself.

• Hugs
Reactions: bea1974 and UseItOrLoseIt
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
When I try to elaborately plan out my suicide I become overwhelmed, too exhausted to do it and just prolong and stall even longer.
Same for me.
Instead of trying to catch the bus, I sit patiently on the station with a ticket in my hand.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rustysoupcan, bea1974, Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I feel like most suicides are impulsive anyway. I feel like if people plan a certain date to do it, survival instinct might kick in and they wont go through with it. Its just human nature. However I think many impulse suicides are because the person feels trapped and they think they have no other option and many of these people could just be going through a bad time and might have not really want to die. If they know there is an peaceful assisted method if the suffering gets to much will make people consider if they really want to ctb and may save people.

Reactions: Rustysoupcan and Lost Magic
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Sorry to hear what happened. Failed attempts can have the effect of being just as scarring as the attempt itself.
Yeah, I lost my job and some friends. My reputation took a dive and being from a small and very backward community this is a major downside. 7 years later the stigma is still very much alive.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: RegretedFeeling, bea1974 and blue_muse