Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
Well however you obtained it, it sounds like you have fond memories of it! I remember the Pokémon craze but I was in my mid teens and after years of my mother taunting me that video games were a self indulgent, male's, baby toy, I felt too ashamed to join in with other kids playing the game. I would never have had a GameBoy to play it on but, I always feel like I missed out on experiencing a cultural phenomenon.

Reactions: Makko
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
I liked naming my pokemons after people I knew in real life and breeding them together for the lulz.
This got a good laugh out of me, thanks for that. Something about potentially taking snobby people and imaging their reactions is extremely humerous

• Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Makko and Flippy
Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
My gaming time started in the 90' so SNES is kinda not retro for me.

I've played mostly rpg games
Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean ( Needs to find a good ROM or the game freezes after some time )
Shadowrun
Breath of Fire 1, 2
Secret of Mana 2, 3
Lufia 1, 2

These are the ones I can remember now

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sakura94, Panna, Flippy and 1 other person
U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
You can hack the PS1 classic to run better and get more games. I think the process is pretty trivial these days! You could play some PS1 classics and pretend you are a giant!
holy crap, that sounds good! I might have to do some YT research and consider getting one now. Thanks!

As for the SNES, if you are interested in trying the games on real hardware you can get flashcarts now that let you put the ROMs on an SD card and play the games on authentic hardware and can sometimes even let you save like an emulator. You might wonder what's the point, but I think it's really cool to see a limited resources console perform. Emulators have all the resources in the world by comparison. There's just something cool about using the original hardware in my opinion :-)
Yeah I can see the attraction of modifying an original piece of kit, though I don't think my need for SNES games would be more than 10 so it might be a little impractical to do this. The PS idea on the other hand.. I might have to indulge in that

Reactions: Flippy
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
holy crap, that sounds good! I might have to do some YT research and consider getting one now. Thanks!

Yeah I can see the attraction of modifying an original piece of kit, though I don't think my need for SNES games would be more than 10 so it might be a little impractical to do this. The PS idea on the other hand.. I might have to indulge in that
Definitely worth doing if you can lay your hands on one or get one for cheap. To be honest, the PS1 mini landed with a bit of a dull thud due to the emulation being a bit lackluster. But with the hacks out there you can turn it into a bit of a mean emulation machine and if I remember correctly, not just PS1 games either.

If you get one there's loads of guides on YouTube as I remember. Just follow the instructions closely, don't power anything down until it's safe and you will have yourself a nicely modded machine! You may need a USB drive to add ROMs but I think you will be pretty much off to the races after that :-)
My gaming time started in the 90' so SNES is kinda not retro for me.

I've played mostly rpg games
Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean ( Needs to find a good ROM or the game freezes after some time )
Shadowrun
Breath of Fire 1, 2
Secret of Mana 2, 3
Lufia 1, 2

These are the ones I can remember now
Those are mostly all games I've promised myself I would play. I did play a little chrono trigger like maybe 20 odd years ago. Sad thing is, I had the original cart and probably the box too if I remember. Last time I checked it would have been worth a fortune!

I probably have them all on my SNES flash cart. But meh, I just never seem to get to a point where I can play them properly. :-/

The good thing about this thread is that it's making me think about my retro games a bit more so maybe everything will align and I will enjoy them soon! :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Panna
U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
Nice! If i can get it to also run PS2 ROM's i'd be in heaven with that.

Yeah I thought the initial trailer built it up so well, excellent marketing with the different classic games all molding into one to the sound of Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats in the background, like 10/10 marketing for their target audience, but the product fell a little short. Though I'm thankful they used raspberry PI (??) which made modding it easier.

Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
Nice! If i can get it to also run PS2 ROM's i'd be in heaven with that.

Yeah I thought the initial trailer built it up so well, excellent marketing with the different classic games all molding into one to the sound of Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats in the background, like 10/10 marketing for their target audience, but the product fell a little short. Though I'm thankful they used raspberry PI (??) which made modding it easier.
Yeah the ads were slick! It got me interested but I wanted a NES Classic first so I waited and when the reviews started to hit YouTube I decided maybe I would avoid it for the time being. The other missed opportunity was not bundling dual shock controllers, would have only been pennies extra for Sony but I guess they weren't feeling generous.

I don't think they used a raspberry pi, but people have certainly installed RasPis in the cases. Though the board used is kinda similar to the Raspberry Pi. I'm not sure it would have the horse power for PS2 though. But you can certainly run PS2 emulation on your PC without needing a super powerful machine, though, it would be fun if you could play them on the PS1 mini for some added authenticity. PS2 emulators are pretty mature now and you can upscale easily and other cool tricks. If you have a DS4 controller I think it's pretty much plug and play.

nex

nex

Student
May 3, 2021
Did you play that Mighty No.9 game (I have it, pretty sure I got the title right) I bought it for the WiiU for cheap a couple of years ago. Managed to start getting quite into that game before my last major episode of anxiety and severe depression. Anyway, if you have played it, what did you think of it? :-)
I haven't played Mighty No. 9. I was interested in what Keiji Inafune, the Mega Man guy himself, would do after his time at Capcom, but the gameplay footage I've seen didn't convince me. I'm no fan at all of that dashing through enemies stuff etc., I didn't like what I saw and reviews weren't great either. Meanwhile, Capcom released Mega Man 11 and it was a triumphant return to form. I'm a little picky about Mega Man games but I think 11 is the second best one after MM9.

I'll give Mighty No. 9 a try when it's on a good sale, but what I've seen honestly didn't impress me. It's great if it helped you through your depression. I had other games that helped me through my depression (e.g. Borderlands 3) that others would dismiss. Again, I'll give it a try when it's on sale, but I'm not too confident it's going to mean as much to me as it did to you.

U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
Yeah the ads were slick! It got me interested but I wanted a NES Classic first so I waited and when the reviews started to hit YouTube I decided maybe I would avoid it for the time being. The other missed opportunity was not bundling dual shock controllers, would have only been pennies extra for Sony but I guess they weren't feeling generous.

I don't think they used a raspberry pi, but people have certainly installed RasPis in the cases. Though the board used is kinda similar to the Raspberry Pi. I'm not sure it would have the horse power for PS2 though. But you can certainly run PS2 emulation on your PC without needing a super powerful machine, though, it would be fun if you could play them on the PS1 mini for some added authenticity. PS2 emulators are pretty mature now and you can upscale easily and other cool tricks. If you have a DS4 controller I think it's pretty much plug and play.
Perhaps it's an Arduino board?

About the PS2 emulators, I've had so much trouble in the past with PC emulators for PS2. Though it has been a while so perhaps I should revisit these.

And yeah I was also let down that there was no dual shock with the PS1 emulator. I think Sony were testing the waters with this to see how profitable it could be before going all out. Funny that they'd take this approach before just implementing full backwards compatibility though lol

Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
About the PS2 emulators, I've had so much trouble in the past with PC emulators for PS2. Though it has been a while so perhaps I should revisit these.
I know ps2 emulators can be confusing with the static image that replicates the game menu, (although that could just be me being idiotic). Once the emulators set up, it's literally just copying and pasting iso game roms into your folder and enjoying them.

• Love
Reactions: Midgardsorm
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Yes I love old school video games. I play Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, which are from the late 90's on the PC. They were the first real iterations of Dungeons and Dragons on the computer, and they are excellent games with great storylines. They were re-done by Beamdog recently, but I prefer the original ones downloaded from Gog.com.

• Love
Reactions: Midgardsorm and Panna
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
Mainly play PS1 stuff. I used to love RPGs because it would take me to other worlds, sort of because your brain would fill in a lot of the detail. Nowadays its just platformers and stuff I dont have to think about.

• Love
Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
Mainly play PS1 stuff. I used to love RPGs because it would take me to other worlds, sort of because your brain would fill in a lot of the detail. Nowadays its just platformers and stuff I dont have to think about.

I find it easier to play RPG's. Depending on the platformer you need to think fast, which sometimes my brain refuses to.

Reactions: Sakura94
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I find it easier to play RPG's. Depending on the platformer you need to think fast, which sometimes my brain refuses to.
It's the story, characters, worlds ect you have to pay attention to. If I can't enjoy that I can't enjoy it.
With platformers I guess I lose a lot of lives but I never have to Engage with it and just keep playing until its completed. I guess it uses a different part of the brain.

Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
It's the story, characters, worlds ect you have to pay attention to. If I can't enjoy that I can't enjoy it.
With platformers I guess I lose a lot of lives but I never have to Engage with it and just keep playing until its completed. I guess it uses a different part of the brain.

I agree. I took a break from RPG games, Although I'm looking forward to return, time hasn't been on my side lately and laziness too.

It's not retro but I have been really into some indie platformers on Steam. They are very cool and interesting.

• Love
U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
I think platformers engage the cognitive side a bit more, where as RPG's engage the creative imaginative side of your brain.

I find platformers great for playing when numbing out to podcasts and what not.
I know ps2 emulators can be confusing with the static image that replicates the game menu, (although that could just be me being idiotic). Once the emulators set up, it's literally just copying and pasting iso game roms into your folder and enjoying them.
no your not being idiotic, i had a little trouble trying with that too. but for me it was also the performance of the emulators. had a terrible framerate and was always generally unplayable. i'll have to dip into some of the best ones going atm.

Last edited:
  • Love
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Anyone play roguelikes? That's pretty retro. The unpredictable gameplay has a lifelike quality that I like. I've tried Caves of Qud last year, it was fun. I made sure I had a bag of my enemies blood on me at all times so I can douse myself when I spontaneously combust. I also like how you can mind-control merchants into giving you all their stuff for free.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Midgardsorm and Panna
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
Sometimes. They rarely have difficulty settings, therefore I usually prefer watching walkthroughs.
Regardless, the current graphics card prices and my old hardware prevent me from enjoying most newer games...

Reactions: Makko
D

Deleted member 8975

Ya know what game was really difficult? Toy Story. I could NEVER get past the first levels.

It took me ages to finish Sonic CD and Sonic 3d Blast (pc version). The controls were very difficult.

Reactions: Skathon and Panna
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
Ya know what game was really difficult? Toy Story. I could NEVER get past the first levels.

It took me ages to finish Sonic CD and Sonic 3d Blast (pc version). The controls were very difficult.
I loved that one, it was annoying though since I didn't have the pack that let me save, so running out of lives meant a instant restart.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 8975
D

Deleted member 8975

Haha do you remember Sid's baby head spiders?? They were the hardest part.

• Love
Reactions: Panna
Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
Anyone play roguelikes? That's pretty retro. The unpredictable gameplay has a lifelike quality that I like. I've tried Caves of Qud last year, it was fun. I made sure I had a bag of my enemies blood on me at all times so I can douse myself when I spontaneously combust. I also like how you can mind-control merchants into giving you all their stuff for free.

Currently playing Dead Cells whenever I can. It's roguelike and absurdly difficult, but it's very fun.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Makko
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I only really go back as far as the early 2000s to play games I loved from my tween/teen days. A big part of the reason is because I'm dirt cheap. A bigger part is that they're guaranteed fun. I don't have to spend $60+ on a new game just to be disappointed.

Reactions: Flippy and Panna
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
I only really go back as far as the early 2000s to play games I loved from my tween/teen days. A big part of the reason is because I'm dirt cheap. A bigger part is that they're guaranteed fun. I don't have to spend $60+ on a new game just to be disappointed.
That's the glory of roms, so many gems to discover for the low low cost of triple 0

Reactions: Flippy, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Midgardsorm and 1 other person
grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
I love retro computing! Playing 90's games gives me so much nostalgia. I generally adore the feeling of old computers and DOS era, these were times when computing used to be so mysterious and required lots of technical knowledge. I'm very interested in emulators, I even developed one (SuperChip8 emulator, simple gaming computer from 70's). My next goal is to develop a NES emulator from scratch and then maybe I will be able to make an original IBM PC emulator. My dream is to develop a Nokia N-Gage emulator. Nobody has done it before so it will be very difficult challenge but lots of people waits for this program and the profit from creating one would be huge.

• Love
Reactions: Flippy, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Panna and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 8975

I found this video and it made me think of you @Flippy and YOU @Panna as we were talking about the Toy Story game.

it's a really cool channel and they also did a video on The Adventures of Batman and Robin!

• Hugs
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
I found this video and it made me think of you @Flippy and YOU @Panna as we were talking about the Toy Story game.

it's a really cool channel and they also did a video on The Adventures of Batman and Robin!

Thanks! I've seen a few coding secrets videos and they are always interesting :-) I will check them out soon! :-)

Reactions: Deleted member 8975
intothenight

intothenight

Sep 23, 2021
One of the first games I ever played was Defender Of The Crown on my C64. The music is still the best any game has ever had.

Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
One of the first games I ever played was Defender Of The Crown on my C64. The music is still the best any game has ever had.

Ah yes :-) The game that was made to show off the Amiga and ended up on just about every system, perhaps proving that with a little creativity, anything is possible!

The SID chip on the c64 is incredible for the time, and as I remember, actually doesn't have all its features enabled. There was some rudimentary opportunity for FM synthesis but wasn't fully implemented so it's closed off in the chip. If they had implemented that part of the design, it would have been like technology from the future.

I think that it's possible to implement AM synthesis based on what I recall, but not very much use beyond some interesting FX. Plus some soldering would be required. I haven't looked at the datasheet in perhaps 10 years though!

I have a C64c gathering dust sadly. Bipolar unfortunately, grants you opportunities then callously takes them away :-(

intothenight

intothenight

Sep 23, 2021
Ah yes :-) The game that was made to show off the Amiga and ended up on just about every system, perhaps proving that with a little creativity, anything is possible!

The SID chip on the c64 is incredible for the time, and as I remember, actually doesn't have all its features enabled. There was some rudimentary opportunity for FM synthesis but wasn't fully implemented so it's closed off in the chip. If they had implemented that part of the design, it would have been like technology from the future.

I think that it's possible to implement AM synthesis based on what I recall, but not very much use beyond some interesting FX. Plus some soldering would be required. I haven't looked at the datasheet in perhaps 10 years though!

I have a C64c gathering dust sadly. Bipolar unfortunately, grants you opportunities then callously takes them away :-(
I have no idea what you just said :)) I just loved the game. Still play it on my PC with an emulator from time to time. I sadly sold both my C64 and C128 when I was 14.